Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 2:38 pm

Testing schmesting...

It possible to flick between disorders, but we use forever like labels, that can only really apply to the present state of neurology.

If you just say your nuts it makes things so much easier.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 2:55 pm

My sister's children are on the spectrum so i come to WP to share and learn. I have other reasons too.....

TheSunAlsoRises

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 3:06 pm

SrRes wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
<--- Would rather not have it shoved in his face how NT's are happily married with wonderful spouses, wonderful children, wonderful friends and wonderful jobs.

<--- Didn't sign up to be reminded what a loser he is.

<--- Signed up to meet like minds, that is, people with such special interests that they neglect "normal" things, people who are social misfits, people who could only go to a parade or an airplane show or a family reunion kicking and screaming, people who are sensitive to light or sound, people with marked impairments in social interactions, people who are prone to saying the wrong things at the wrong time. Isn't that why this is called Wrong Planet?

<--- Can't understand why WP has such an infestation.

You sure have a bad case of aspie arrogance.

Not really since NT forums are usually infested with "internet tough guys", but they are rarely here. NTs are often fake in real life, but show there true selves on the internet whereas AS people act the same on both.

Last edited by Venger on 03 Jul 2012, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 3:48 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Uh, yeah, I am diagnosed autistic, and I just want to distance myself from Smorrow's statement. 'NTs', -much as I dislike to use the word, but since we're using it in this thread- are my family, my friends, my acquaintances, classmates, co-workers. I love them and they love me, and they have made me the man I am today.

I've always said it: the non-autistic perspective on this forum is invaluable for coming to a proper understanding of social interactions in general. If we just lock ourselves up in one big autistic virtual biodome, we run away from the problems we each individually face. Because deny if you will, those of us who are diagnosed were diagnosed because at one point in our life, be hit in childhood or adulthood, we ran into some kind of 'snag', to put it euphemistically. You don't get diagnosed with something that's in the DSM by filling in a personality test in a lifestyle magazine.

This was indeed the case for me, I had to get a diagnosis because otherwise I'd kill myself. It's pretty demoralizing to be told you have every disorder in the DSM (almost, I am exaggerating, lol) then to find out that all of it was just a learning disability.

The NTs, BAPs, and Aspies in my life have all contributed to who I am today and for that I'm eternally grateful. That being said, I agree with the fact that this site is a resource as much for us as it is for NTs. I personally welcome everyone's presence who come to understand. It's more difficult for me to realize who's being helpful and who's not, so it is on the shoulders of the community to point this out and I think this thread is for that purpose.

KumbayaaaaH lol j/k haha, didn't even spell it right.

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm

Hi Rascal77s, Thank you very much for your input, which is very thoughtful and spot on :)

Rascal77s wrote:
Dave I think what you're looking for is feedback to let you know that you're having an impact on people. I think you already understand that many people on the spectrum have severe problems with social interaction. You have to remember that people 'on the the spectrum' will often not know how to give what most people would consider normal feedback. They may not understand your motive. They may not be able to put themselves in your shoes. It may very well be that they do appreciate you but don't know how to tell you or, odd as it might sound to you, assume that you know how they feel. This might be a matter of faith for you- knowing that you are doing something good and continuing to do the right thing despite a seeming lack of appreciation. Just remember what kind of problems you are dealing with here and remember that at least some of the people appreciate you even if they are unable to tell you.

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 4:37 pm

Thanks Callista :)

Callista wrote:
You offer two very useful perspectives--that of an NT and that of a parent of a child on the spectrum. We need that. Just put your two cents in, your viewpoint, your side of things. The more ideas we can collect, the better!