Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

WorriedWife
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2012, 3:28 am

Hi all - I am a NT wife who came to this site to gain some insight into AS and to find ways to support my newly (3 Weeks) diagnosed AS husband.

Why are you a member of this site?

:) WW

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2012, 7:24 am

I'm NT, I come to learn more about my son through the perspectives of people who have similar struggles, and to lend a hand when I can to others.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2012, 7:29 am

I too try and get an understanding of my son's perpective of the world. Also, some advise that anyone can offer and to give my insight too

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 8:07 am

What annoys me is NTs who come onto the site and start silly threads saying we think we are some kind of elite club.

If an NT comes here to gain more understanding that is a good thing.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 11:16 am

I'm pissed off by NT's who are trying to tell me i should blend in and i wish i could find a place where they don't hang out and the only members are people on the spectrum. Also by all those self--diagnosed, aka wannabe--aspies. Both groups should remain in the position of observers here on WP. I know, the rules say WP is for everyone yada yada, but that doesn't mean i have to like it. Since almost the whole planet is already controlled by NT's, it would be nice to have a resort they can't access.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 11:37 am

PTSmorrow wrote:
I'm pissed off by NT's who are trying to tell me i should blend in and i wish i could find a place where they don't hang out and the only members are people on the spectrum. Also by all those self--diagnosed, aka wannabe--aspies. Both groups should remain in the position of observers here on WP. I know, the rules say WP is for everyone yada yada, but that doesn't mean i have to like it. Since almost the whole planet is already controlled by NT's, it would be nice to have a resort they can't access.

I am waiting on an official assessment how does that leave me on you points based system. :D

Verinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2012, 12:09 pm

My husband is borderline AS, both my sons have been diagnosed with AS and I have traits. I have learned a lot about aspergers from this site.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2012, 12:44 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:

Make your own website then. You can exclude whoever you want.

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2012, 12:53 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:

I wouldn't say self diagnosed people are "wannabe aspies" at all. From my perspective I'm not sure why anyone would want to be an aspie, it's a pretty hard existence imho. I'm self diagnosed and I have significant trouble with social interaction and have many other traits, but just because I choose not get a diagnosis does that make me a wannabe? Just because I wasn't severely affected enough as a child to get an early diagnosis I'm a wannabe?
To be honest I don't mind NTs coming here, I generally have a good relationship with NTs considering all my friends are NTs even though I suspect a few have traits. I think it's silly to separate people into different classes, NT or aspie. At the end of the day we're all human with different personalities and difficulties and we all have a lot to learn from eachother. I quite like that this site is open to NTs, but what annoys me are people who think that this site should be exclusively aspie or people who have qualms others with being self-diagnosed. I think people can be too paranoid and just need to take things at face-value at some times.
We all live on a spectrum and I'm happy to accept people who even aren't on the spectrum but possess traits. Because they need help and support as well with their difficulties. I guess I'm just a little bit of a philanthropist really... I think that's the way we all should be! imho.

Hope what I've said makes sense and I haven't digressed too much as I'm prone to doing...

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 2:56 pm

It seems most NTs here have a loved one on the spectrum. I have seen a couple autism researchers here as well, but not very often.

mrsjohnny
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

Verinda wrote:
My husband is borderline AS, both my sons have been diagnosed with AS and I have traits. I have learned a lot about aspergers from this site.

Same except for the borderline part, but my husband can fake being Nt till he gets to stressed or tired.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

Uh, yeah, I am diagnosed autistic, and I just want to distance myself from Smorrow's statement. 'NTs', -much as I dislike to use the word, but since we're using it in this thread- are my family, my friends, my acquaintances, classmates, co-workers. I love them and they love me, and they have made me the man I am today.

I've always said it: the non-autistic perspective on this forum is invaluable for coming to a proper understanding of social interactions in general. If we just lock ourselves up in one big autistic virtual biodome, we run away from the problems we each individually face. Because deny if you will, those of us who are diagnosed were diagnosed because at one point in our life, be hit in childhood or adulthood, we ran into some kind of 'snag', to put it euphemistically. You don't get diagnosed with something that's in the DSM by filling in a personality test in a lifestyle magazine.

mike_br
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:

You could start you own forum.
But how would you keep NTs and the self-diagnosed out? I mean, unless you demand a ton of personal info and documents (which would prevent people from registering, I'm sure), I don't see how it would work out.

You must take in consideration, also, that being among the diagnosed is different from being among those who think alike. I'm dignosed, but I try to blend in at times, and I hate those "we're better/more evolved" than NTs arguments with a passion.

LeeTimmer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2012, 3:15 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:

Lighten up, Francis. I'm officially diagnosed, but I feel very badly for those who are self-diagnosed but can't get the official diagnosis, a situation that applies mainly to older adults who have learned to compensate and had to go through hell as children. If you don't like "wannabes," create your own site.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:

With as much bitching as goes on in this forum about NT's not understanding ASD why wouldn't you welcome people that want to learn about the condition? And why wouldn't you want to learn from them. Also, many if not most, people with AS self diagnose as a step leading to a clinical diagnosis. You can't assume people are too ignorant to figure out what's wrong with them just because they didn't go to college for 8 years. Above all, I'll assume you wouldn't want to be excluded from 'NT sites', so why would you want NT's excluded from an ASD site? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 4:08 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Uh, yeah, I am diagnosed autistic, and I just want to distance myself from Smorrow's statement. 'NTs', -much as I dislike to use the word, but since we're using it in this thread- are my family, my friends, my acquaintances, classmates, co-workers. I love them and they love me, and they have made me the man I am today.

I've always said it: the non-autistic perspective on this forum is invaluable for coming to a proper understanding of social interactions in general. If we just lock ourselves up in one big autistic virtual biodome, we run away from the problems we each individually face. Because deny if you will, those of us who are diagnosed were diagnosed because at one point in our life, be hit in childhood or adulthood, we ran into some kind of 'snag', to put it euphemistically. You don't get diagnosed with something that's in the DSM by filling in a personality test in a lifestyle magazine.

I will speak for my self as not to stir the proverbial dust. My profile says undiagnosed/self diagnosed, however this is a half truth because I wish to limit what is in my medical record I paid cash to a psychologists to preform the test not using any names. To me the diagnosis is only important to Dr.s and government offices because I chose not to get their help I don't want it my record to used against me at there convenience. If you can't think how it can be used against you just watch child custody cases in the U.S.