Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 7:47 pm

WorriedWife wrote:
Matt62 wrote:
I thought the OP was asking NTs why they come here, what are their reasons for doing so?
This thread has de-railed IMHO.
It is MOST unfortunate that there are those on the Spectrum who do seem to want to be the members of some "Elite" group. Whatever..
However, unless some one is being hugely rude, trolling, or picking fights, bullying, etc. I see no problem with WP being open to everyone who wants to be here..
BTW, there are also forums here that are not so public that can be used.

Sincerely,
Matthew

That is exactly whyt this topic was started. I did not mean to upset anyone. I am not on this site to cause any trouble. I am here to learn as much as I can about AS and support my husband.

:) WW

I think we just fed the troll a little too much. I almost went off too but restrained myself. Not your fault.

Butters
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2012, 7:47 pm

Same as you. To better understsand my partner, to understand the signs and symptoms so that I may better understand and relate with the man I love.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

Quote:
No I am responding to a post I agree with which I know is not the OP.

The OP is fed up with self diagnosed and NT people on the site.

Here's the OP's post:

Quote:
Hi all - I am a NT wife who came to this site to gain some insight into AS and to find ways to support my newly (3 Weeks) diagnosed AS husband.

Why are you a member of this site?

Clearly, you have a case of mistaken identity. The poster who was fed up with NTs on this site is not the OP, who is in fact NT herself.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:27 pm

My wife just started coming here for the same reason as OP, to understand autism spectrum disorders.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 10:30 pm

It would be nice if we could have just one thread mentioning NTs without someone having a knee-jerk reaction of "They's all EVIL! SEND THEM OFF OUR PLANET!! !!1" :roll:

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 3:49 am

Ill take this opportunity to thank the NTs on this site who post helpful comments and explanations about things that would otherwise totally baffle me, it is a usefull perspective to have. Thanks.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 6:27 am

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
No I am responding to a post I agree with which I know is not the OP.

The OP is fed up with self diagnosed and NT people on the site.

Here's the OP's post:

Quote:
Hi all - I am a NT wife who came to this site to gain some insight into AS and to find ways to support my newly (3 Weeks) diagnosed AS husband.

Why are you a member of this site?

Clearly, you have a case of mistaken identity. The poster who was fed up with NTs on this site is not the OP, who is in fact NT herself.

Ok I got posts mixed up. :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jul 2012, 8:05 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
It would be nice if we could have just one thread mentioning NTs without someone having a knee-jerk reaction of "They's all EVIL! SEND THEM OFF OUR PLANET!! !!1" :roll:

Also, a week going by without someone whinging about self-diagnosis.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 8:18 am

PTSmorrow wrote:
I'm pissed off by NT's who are trying to tell me i should blend in and i wish i could find a place where they don't hang out and the only members are people on the spectrum. Also by all those self--diagnosed, aka wannabe--aspies.

So you're saying you'll give me the couple thousand it costs to get a diagnoses? I'm game....

Last edited by nirrti_rachelle on 01 Jul 2012, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beth_V
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2012, 8:18 am

I have come on here to try and learn what I could be doing to help my newly Diagnosed Husband, considering I am considered NT in this I could run and that would make me fairly ordinary too wouldn't it...

I can tell you now for someone coming in from the outside seeking ideas and background on how others cope from both Autistic and NT perspectives, this first "forum" I have opened has startled me completely and made me feel like I have made a mistake by coming here at all. My emotions are raw and my heart is in tatters, now I feel I have done something wrong coming here. Yeah it would just be best if I shove my head up my jumper and just leave him and find no perspective or rationale at all. Thanks for closing hurt hearts out. Whoever reads this stuff cancel my registration. Thanks Very Much!

ozman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2012, 8:22 am

There is always hope, Aspies can learn

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 8:46 am

Beth_V wrote:
I have come on here to try and learn what I could be doing to help my newly Diagnosed Husband, considering I am considered NT in this I could run and that would make me fairly ordinary too wouldn't it...

I can tell you now for someone coming in from the outside seeking ideas and background on how others cope from both Autistic and NT perspectives, this first "forum" I have opened has startled me completely and made me feel like I have made a mistake by coming here at all. My emotions are raw and my heart is in tatters, now I feel I have done something wrong coming here. Yeah it would just be best if I shove my head up my jumper and just leave him and find no perspective or rationale at all. Thanks for closing hurt hearts out. Whoever reads this stuff cancel my registration. Thanks Very Much!

This is a public discussion board. As such, you will get all kinds of people here, not all of whom will like you. However, this is not to say that you are not welcome here. I think you will find that the majority of posters here just want to learn about themselves and help others deal with their own issues related to autism in all of it's many flavors. As such, you are more than welcome to stay and learn with the rest of us. Trust me, I could get offended at some of the posters comments too as I am self-diagnosed and therefore lack the legitimacy that the more rigid among us would like to see. However, my case is much like many of the others here who have done the same in that my borderline poverty/ working class status without insurance does not permit me the funds to pay for diagnosis. I am not easily offended though. I suggest that you stay around and see what the more enlightened among us have to offer you. I think you will find that many people on the spectrum can be just as kind and loving as anyone else, and that 90% of us will treat you with courtesy and respect.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2012, 8:47 am

Beth V, please don't leave. Most people want you here, it is only a very few who don't. It helps to think of it from their point of view. Most of those who are NT bashing have had a really hard time socially and they're blaming it on NT's being the majority. As with any minority group, some will lash out against the majority. So many people here do not think that way. I would really like for you to stay and give the wonderful people here a chance. You will see that you are welcome by most. And for those who aren't welcoming, take it with a grain of salt. This forum was created for everyone who for whatever reason is interested in ASD's, you belong here.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:20 am

Quote:

Look what you've done, anti-NT people.

NTs aren't going anywhere. They will continue to be the majority of the population, whether you like it or not. Most of you, if you stopped to think, would realize you don't hate all NTs just for being NTs - you just hate being bullied and excluded. And if you want autistic people to stop being bullied and excluded, you need NTs to buy into that, because it's usually NTs doing the bullying and exclusion.

And here you have an NT who doesn't want to bully or exclude autistics, she wants to accept us and understand us. And what does she get for her effort? A bunch of NT-bashing.

Do you realize you're shooting yourselves in the foot? And dragging the rest of us down with you?

JurgenW

01 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:

Look what you've done, anti-NT people.

NTs aren't going anywhere. They will continue to be the majority of the population, whether you like it or not. Most of you, if you stopped to think, would realize you don't hate all NTs just for being NTs - you just hate being bullied and excluded. And if you want autistic people to stop being bullied and excluded, you need NTs to buy into that, because it's usually NTs doing the bullying and exclusion.

And here you have an NT who doesn't want to bully or exclude autistics, she wants to accept us and understand us. And what does she get for her effort? A bunch of NT-bashing.

Do you realize you're shooting yourselves in the foot? And dragging the rest of us down with you?

Almost every internet forum I have seen has been full of yelling at each other, unless there is an active moderation that immediately stops any fighting, but even then the general atmosphere on forums can be hard to put up with for more sensitive people. It seems to be one of the less pleasant human traits.

I have no diagnosis, but I do have many traits and experiences in common with others here, and that is why I am here. My youngest brother does have a diagnosis though, but his is a graver case, and a son of one of my cousins is even worse, so it runs in the family.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 1:16 pm

I think its great that NT's come here to learn to better love their loved ones. Lovely intentions and spirit and very heart warming for me to see.

We aspies need all the friends we can get, even though we would tell you otherwise! We are just avoidant, from fear and disappointments