Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm

With the start of the 'real' summer weather, I just thought I'd pose this question. I am quite sure I am not alone in being unable to stand heat. It being hot causes all my senses to heighten and overload at the most minimum stimulation. This means I am overwhelmed the largest part of the day. Does anyone have any tips to minimize this effect?

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2012, 12:59 pm

When I'm too hot if there's no air conditioning I put an ice pack on the back of my neck, it helps cool your whole body down a bit. There's no way you can stay somewhere with air conditioning?

Moonpenny
Raven
Raven

30 Jun 2012, 1:09 pm

Me too. I can barely drag myself out of the house on days when the sun is beating down, and even if I stay indoors I'm so over-stimulated by the heat that I can't function properly.

PS: McAnulty – We don't really do air-conditioning in the UK, not in houses anyway. It doesn't get overpoweringly hot often enough to make the investment worthwhile, and anyway there's a lot of focus on energy conservation in the home here. The only option is to go and stand in a supermarket..and I've done this many a time in my lunch break at work on a hot day!

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2012, 1:23 pm

Yes indeed, although thanks for the thought. I am really thinking of moving up north when I finish my degree just for the climate.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2012, 1:23 pm

Moonpenny wrote:
PS: McAnulty – We don't really do air-conditioning in the UK, not in houses anyway. It doesn't get overpoweringly hot often enough to make the investment worthwhile, and anyway there's a lot of focus on energy conservation in the home here. The only option is to go and stand in a supermarket..and I've done this many a time in my lunch break at work on a hot day!

That's really cool. Not so fun when you're incredibly intolerant to heat, but it's nice to know some people are taking energy conservation seriously.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

Does it get cool at night there? if so, open the windows at night, but close them in the morning before it starts to warm up. Have enough fans running that the air is always in motion, be they in the windows or on the floor. Have some fans blowing upwards to get the cool air off the floor.

Afternoon temps are routinely over 90 here. Even with AC, we have plenty of fans, and hubby and I spend the afternoon quietly sitting in front of one, or napping. Do all energetic stuff either early in the morning or, if it cools in the evening there, late after it starts to cool.

Put ice in your beverages, and drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. You can also use a shower or soak in the tub to re-hydrate transdermally (through your skin).

apply cold water or ice to any available skin, esp pulse points to lower your body temperature and avoid overheating. get in front of a fan to evaporate it off. Repeat as needed.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 2:02 pm

I get up at daybreak to do outside chores then stay where it's cool inside,It's been over a hundred here for several weeks now.I have a "cooldanna" which is a bandanna with this water absorbing gel in it.You let it soak up water and pop it in the fridge and then when you go outside put it around your neck and it cools the blood in the big veins in your neck.It was gave to me as a present so I'm not sure where it was purchased but the tag on it said athletes use them so maybe a sporting goods store.It really helps.Heat has a cumulative effect on your body so it is very important to get your bodies core temperature down.Take cool baths or showers,wear loose,light weight breathable,light colored clothes and a big hat.Take breaks,hydrate often and listen to your body.I have lived in the sunny south all my life and at times had no A.C. House or car.It can often get to 110 here with humidity so I take the heat very seriously.We are also in an extreme drought here(2nd year of it) and I would like to ask other people who may be going thru this to PLEASE put water out for the animals.I have deer,raccoons,squirrels,bugs,and a lot of woodland birds that never cone into the yard.This will benefit everyone,I now have the joy that I helped them plus I get to look at them.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 2:09 pm

Too cold: not a problem. Too hot: please kill me right now.

vindaloo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

We've got temperatures of about 32 degrees during the day here in Switzerland. I really feel the heat when it's over 25. I've found that keeping the windows and blinds of my bedroom shut helps, as does having a fan to move the air round. I try to air the entire flat at night when cools down.

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2012, 2:16 pm

Thank you for the replies, I will get some circulation going tonight and won't go out during the day unless I really have to. I know it is comparatively cool here, but to me it is already on the brink of my ability to withstand.

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

I feel the same about cold, I cannot stand it. I find making yourself comfortable (even though others may not agree with what you do) is the key. Find situations in that temperature that you can stand and stick to it
Even when it is 32 degrees Celsius outside (in Australia the summers can reach over 40 degrees Celsius!) I'm wearing track pants and sometimes even a jumper and yes people comment but it makes me feel ok and while it took me a while to realise that's what matters

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

I can't stand heat. I hate how it feels on me and the sweat. I just go naked. I will use AC for a few hours to cool down my apartment since the heat gets trapped and open windows don't help. Then I turn it off once the whole place is cool. Luckily we have not had heat yet. Plus I use fans during the summer when it's hot out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 4:05 pm

Heat can be a problem but sunlight is the evil. I'm nocturnal; summer is wonderful at 3am. Especially with all the people put on hold.

EQ: 6.

Wobbuffet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2012, 4:13 pm

It's horrible for me at work. The air conditioning either doesn't work at all, gets stuck on "hot" or starts to emit burning smells. The windows were sealed shut a couple of years ago, so we can't open them. I have to have a fan on, but then it blows my paperwork around. Sucks. =/

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2012, 4:24 pm

Having lived in the American South all of my life I am quite accustomed to the heat. I work on electronic projects out in my insulated, non air conditioned, 100+ degrees Fahrenheit garage, with the door closed, over a 700+ degrees Fahrenheit soldering iron in two shirts and jeans, and really think nothing of it. Even my family thinks that I am crazy, and after having been exposed to so many fumes and high temperatures, they are probably right.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 4:31 pm

I hate heat.