Do you enjoy films or video games more, and why?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 1:52 am

The best video games are far better than the best movies, because video games are a form that inherently has greater potential than movies. However, most video games are trash, and are unwilling to fully explore the aspects that make video games different from movies.

An example of a video game that is better than any movie that can ever be made: Braid. Why? Because emergent phenomena are more interesting than scripted phenomena.

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 4:34 am

I prefer videogames, i can't sit still long enough for a movie unless i have my DS on or something and i heard a lot about Braid, i should buy it sometime :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jul 2012, 11:11 am

Sanctus wrote:
Wobbuffet wrote:
Video games by far. I have a hard time watching movies (especially ones over two hours long), because I get restless and feel like I should be "doing something". I usually get bored halfway through and end up watching the movie over three or four nights.

You must be me!

Being restless & getting board is why I prefer movies. When I'm playing a game most all of my focus has to be on that game so I cant do anything else but that & my mind wants to wander. But when I watch a movie my attention does not have to be entirely focused on the movie; I would be eating a snack, checking email, reading watched posts or day-dreaming a little

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Casstranquility
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2012, 3:06 pm

I enjoy video games more than movies. If it is a good video game I can get lost in another world for many hours and forget my troubles... be creative, solve puzzles, have video game accomplishments, explore a land I've never seen before. When I watch movies I don't feel comfortable, my hands want to be doing something, my mind isn't involved in necessary ways, and I want to eat because I feel empty inside.

Let us comfort each other, and move tenderly when we are able. Let us hold hands and walk bravely, or fearfully together; for as long as there is Love, there is Hope, that everything will be okay, including the things we say are not.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 3:36 pm

Video games, they have more content, and you actually interact with them.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 3:38 pm

Declension wrote:
The best video games are far better than the best movies, because video games are a form that inherently has greater potential than movies. However, most video games are trash, and are unwilling to fully explore the aspects that make video games different from movies.

An example of a video game that is better than any movie that can ever be made: Braid. Why? Because emergent phenomena are more interesting than scripted phenomena.

By that logic a simulation of Conway's Game of Life must be the best video game ever.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 8:57 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Declension wrote:

By that logic a simulation of Conway's Game of Life must be the best video game ever.

That can't be the best video game ever, because it's not a video game. Part of what defines a video game is that it has goals which are arranged carefully to form an interesting arc.

What I mean by "emergent" isn't that the entire game is just an automaton. I mean that the things that you are required to do in order to accomplish goals emerge naturally from a set of simpler rules.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 9:09 pm

Video games, because I prefer doing things to watching things.
I do enjoy films, though.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

teamnoir
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2012, 9:16 pm

I enjoy both.

Games are more interactive but require more energy. Movies are more passive, can develop themes more fully, and can be experienced by multiple people concurrently with the same equipment.

Movies also explore themes that people buy into on screen, but won't buy into as a video game. So there's a wider breadth of experience available in movies.

And we're rapidly approaching the point where nearly anyone can create a plausible movie on their laptop in a practical amount of time. We're long past the days when someone could make a good video game in that amount of time. (Excepting a very few rare exceptions like Kingdom of Loathing).

Also, I rarely walk out of a movie thinking that I've wasted a year of my life. That's happened to me more than a few times with games.