Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2012, 1:54 am

Years ago in a job agency far far away... we were taught to be specific in what we wanted to do. Apparently many people would say 'I'll do anything', but when presented with undesirable jobs would say they didn't want to. We were taught that you get better results by being fussy but realistic. This concentrated the work finding effort, making for more productive results.

Sound reasonable?

Seventh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jul 2012, 2:54 am

If you think about it, the advice to "be fussy but realistic" is totally vague and meaningless. It doesn't actually tell you what constitutes "fussy" and what constitutes "realistic".

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:26 am

DoniiMann wrote:
Years ago in a job agency far far away... we were taught to be specific in what we wanted to do. Apparently many people would say 'I'll do anything', but when presented with undesirable jobs would say they didn't want to. We were taught that you get better results by being fussy but realistic. This concentrated the work finding effort, making for more productive results.

Sound reasonable?

Personally I like it, and that's how I try to operate, but I'm finding that there are people in my life who interpret this kind of clear boundary setting as "selfish" & "self-centered". Problematic.