Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hkmxmc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2012, 4:16 am

hi, I'm new here.

Recently, I had a job interview. I feel that I may have done badly and may sounds too nerdy.
So here's a question.
How can I compete with the general population, when I can't really converse well?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 9:15 am

Make Eye Contact

Shake Hands

Answer questions confidently

Answer the question asked.

How do you think you were nerdy?

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 3:28 pm

Preparation before the interview is vital. You must find out as much as you can about the company, and the role. Then you must anticipate their questions. Google "typical interview questions" for the industry/role and work on those questions. Always make sure your answers have a positive slant.

Before the interview imagine yourself doing the job, it can help make you more confident. Always dress smartly, make eye contact, firm handshake and use intonation in your voice (but don't overdo it).

I know its daunting but they are usually looking for someone who can be confident and clear.

I always find that if I really want the job, then I do better in the interview.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 12:00 pm

I've had my best results by just being myself and not worry about it. I'm naturally friendly so that's not a bad thing either. It also helps to connect with them in an informal way (for example, I like to talk hockey and in Canada that's usually a good topic with men). I did help on an interview panel and I wasn't worried too much about all the formalities or if they were nervous, shy, etc. All I cared about was how well did they know the job and how well they would fit in our organization. In fact, I barely even looked at their resumes as what was important was how they would adjust to the new role, not what they did in the past provided they had the necessary experience.

Another thing I consider important (and I know many will disagree with me) is to ask how the interviewer what benefits they have to offer YOU (like future opportunities) outside of the obvious money as it's a two way street. I am always HIGHLY skeptical when someone is extremely eager and appears to be a 'yes man' who seems like they will take a bullet for you and work for free after just meeting you because they usually unmask themselves very quickly after getting hired.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2012, 5:40 pm

Hey, hkmxmc. I recently had a job interview too. And I think it went well, as I tried to make the interview a conversation, a friendly give-and-take session between potential employee and potential employer instead of a grueling interrogation or grilling.

Like you though, I'm a worrier as well. So before the interview ended, I asked how I came off to her. She said she perceived me as honest and well-spoken.

Still if I had to ask, does that mean I'm not all that confident? And will asking that question be considered a strike against me (for lack of confidence)?

I dunno. I suppose it could go either way. Still every chance I could demonstrate the specific skill sets that the job demanded, I talked about my past job experiences and successes and pointed out whenever I did the work for fun, on my own time, and because I could.

Also during the hour-long interview, I told her at least twice how grateful I felt to be picked for the interview. In turn, she revealed that I was among the top ten she called of the 150 job applicants. That statement really made my day. And maybe I gushed a few times when I said, This company sounds really terrific to work for. (Still I can't remember saying, I would like to work here. When can I start?)

As a follow-up, I emailed her a Thank You note, again noting how much her friendliness and willingness to share made me realize how genuinely neat the company was. Because she was there. I suppose that's a bit sappy. But as an Aspie, I was trying to be sincere and literal. :)