Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Beppieiscool
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2012, 12:39 pm

I want to know why people are afraid what people considered common things?
Like keys, ice, or clouds.
I understand some of them(like the ones that might potentially hurt you), but the rest confuse me.

Well I'll start.
My phobias are of heights and the thought of driving a car.
When I'm up high I feel as though I might fall off and hurt myself.
Although I can't drive yet I'm afraid I might hurt someone and scares me so much.

The world is a mess.
The mess is full of color, beauty, laughter, happiness, sadness, pain, misery, and everyone can relate to this crazy world. For we all live

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

I was reading a sensory book, and fear of heights often happens because you can feel gravity pulling on you. So it makes sense that you feel you might fall, because there is more force pulling you down, and even if you aren't conscious of it your body perceives it.
Driving terrifies me to. I think it makes sense, you're handling an incredibly dangerous piece of equipment. Driving is dangerous.

AngelofDreams
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

I can relate to it, because I also have this fear of accidentally harm someone when driving. I have had several dreams where I am driving, and the car is out of control or I'm a bad driver in general, so it has caused this phobia for me.

And I also have a phobia of heights, but I have little to no problem sitting inside an airplane that's in flight.

My other phobias are spiders, thunder, yelling, the 'popping' sound of balloons, sudden movements or sounds (which is common in horror movies that relies to scare their audience this way), physical interaction with men (such as holding hands or hugging), crowds, narrow places, and unknown people.

Spiders (also known as Arachnophobia): I've always had this phobia, and it is not uncommon either. In fact, it's one of the most common fears a majority of society has.
I can get so scared if I spot a spider in a room, that I refuse to enter the very room for a long time.

Thunder (also known as Brontophobia or Astraphobia): I've been frightful of thunder for as long as I can remember. I think it is because they occur so suddenly without warning.

Yelling (Angrophobia; fear of anger or of becoming angry, and Poinephobia; fear of punishment, may count as this): This phobia started when I witnessed my parents in a verbal fight against each other, raising their voices against one another, and the fact that my mother used a intimidating way of yelling at me as punishment.

The 'popping' sound of balloons (also known as Globophobia; a fear of balloons, or Ligyrophobia; a fear of loud noises): I remember this started at the age of 4 or so, and I was playing with a balloon in my room. I got careless with it, so it 'popped' in my face, creating this loud noise I came to fear.
I can't look at a balloon without having the urge to hold my hands over my ears and cringe, anticipating that it'd 'pop' at any moment.

Sudden movements or sounds: I just hate it when this happen, and when it's out of control or I don't know that something is about to happen suddenly beforehand.

Physical interaction with men (also known as Aphenphosmphobia (?)): In general, I've issues with physical contact, but it seems to be worse with men. I tend to not show it, but deep inside, I feel panicked and just want to run away.

Crowds (also known as Agoraphobia): They make me very anxious. In worse cases, I feel nauseous.

Narrow places (also known as Stenophobia): Due to bad experiences during my childhood.

Unknown people/strangers (also known as Xenophobia): As with my other issues concerned social interaction.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 3:58 am

I have phobias of choking and vomiting, and I think I can pinpoint how they began:

Choking - I've had a lot of choking incidents throughout my life, but the one that caused a lifelong phobia was an incident involving a hard candy when I was 9. My phobia was so bad for a time afterwards that I would cry whenever anyone put so much as a mint or piece of gum in their mouths.

Vomiting - I used to be indifferent to vomiting, but when I was 11 I had an incident where I had the stomach flu very badly and I dry heaved. It hurt so bad that my throat, stomach and ribs ached for several days afterwards. These days I am so afraid of vomiting that I have a lot of nonsense "rituals" to prevent it and the last time someone vomited at my house, I collapsed onto the ground and couldn't get up because I was so scared.

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2012, 8:15 am

i dont have a phobia of heights but for some reason i have a phobia of being right on the top of things i could be 500m high on a 700m high scraper on the edge of a balcony but if i was 50m up on top of a building on the edge the phobia would kick in.

humanhatred
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 10:17 pm

1 I have a fear of the dark it is only mild, but still I have to sleep with some kind of light on. It does not bother me as much when I sleep outside when I am on camps for some reason althrough it still does bother me.

2 I have a fear of needles which is a much more common phobia. Even worse than a vaccination, are blood tests, the throught of blood being taken out of my body is digusting.

I have no idea how I got those fears.

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2012, 12:56 am

People are common things. I fear people. I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder a few years ago.

I fear people's judgement because experience has taught me to do so. I was bullied for several years and I guess it stuck. I came to fear it happening again so much that the anxiety became impossible to control.

Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

-RUSH

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2012, 7:45 pm

I have a phobia of spiders because of a childhood experience. I was at my aunt's house and she was standing in her kitchen by the sink. She was catching daddy long legs that were in the space between her sink and counter. I was young, so out of curiosity, I watched. I remember I was terrified by how they looked, I thought they were disgusting! However, I just continued to watch and think to myself how scary they were.