Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2012, 10:38 am

so, I told my mom about my synesthesia. (me and my mom don't have a good relationship) this is gonna be hard to explain so let me just start at the beginning:
so I leaned about my synesthesia like 2 months ago.all my numbers have a color, personality,gender,and texture. My letters have color. Days of the week and months have color. And I hear movement.and when I hear music I see movement.
last week, I went to a week long overnight camp. While I was gone at camp my mom took a class about how kids react to stress. So on the way home from camp (3 hour drive) she was telling me about it. So I was nervous because I knew it was the right time to tell her about my syn. So I told her and I was expecting at least a 5 min conversation, but she just said "oh. I don't do that" and she continued to talk at me about her class. Yesterday, I 'mapped' out all my numbers,letter,days and months (she doesn't know about me seeing or hearing movement) and I showed her and she didn't even care! I think she thinks that its just some weird faze or something.
but I can't read faces to save my life, so mabie she does care but she's just creeped out about it? Idk :(

but I want her to understand that this is why I get sensory overload so easily and that this is a part of my life and it has been since the day I was born. How do I explain to her that its not just a faze?

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

Applecore
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2012, 3:00 pm

I don't know what your mother might be thinking, but i can really relate to your situation. My mom doesn't seem to care about me having Aspergers. I wanted her to be interessted and read about the positive sides. I think she doesn't want to see me as "ill", maybe she thinks it something she did wrong? I don't know.. but i just leave it be, even tho i feel our relationship has gotten worse.

Have you tried just asking her why she don't seem interessted? It might help if she gotten to read abit about, or see a clip on youtube or something where someone explains what synesthesia is. The first time i heard about it i was rather amazed, i had never tought that someone could hear movement and such. I had to read more before i understood that this was actually a real "disorder" (is it actually a disorder, or do you call it something else?)

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2012, 3:23 pm

Applecore wrote:
I don't know what your mother might be thinking, but i can really relate to your situation. My mom doesn't seem to care about me having Aspergers. I wanted her to be interessted and read about the positive sides. I think she doesn't want to see me as "ill", maybe she thinks it something she did wrong? I don't know.. but i just leave it be, even tho i feel our relationship has gotten worse.

Have you tried just asking her why she don't seem interessted? It might help if she gotten to read abit about, or see a clip on youtube or something where someone explains what synesthesia is. The first time i heard about it i was rather amazed, i had never tought that someone could hear movement and such. I had to read more before i understood that this was actually a real "disorder" (is it actually a disorder, or do you call it something else?)

I call it a condition because if you tell someone you have disorder they tend to think about it as a bad thing, and (at least for me) its not bad at all.but its considered to be both.I'm looking for YouTube videos on it now, but I can't find any good ones :(

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

Applecore

04 Jul 2012, 12:37 pm

Condition is a good word. I know a norwegian singer (Maria Mena) has synethesia, but there's only one interview in norwegian where she talks about having it. She puts a good positiv spin to it. There must be some videos out there where someone has the same positivity about it :)

Blixten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2012, 4:38 pm

Did you expect her to react more strongly, and was disappointed when she didn't? That's how I interpreted it. If I misunderstood your post, pay no attention to this:

I think the reason she didn't react more is that it's not considered a big deal, it's not considered an illness or anything particularly serious . It's not considered to be at all life-altering. I knew someone in school who had it, he described it as being just as normal for him as not having it,, of course. Most people aren't negatively affected by it at all, right? So it's not like you told her you have an illness, are an life altering disorder.

That's why I think she didn't pay much attention to it. You should talk about that with her, tell her you want her to react more strongly to it.

AspieSharaf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2012, 6:39 am

Here is a little rhetorical trick you could use in a situation like the one you described

So you start by saying this to your mother:

Fefe333: Mother, would you listen carefully to whatever I said if it was something that truly meant a lot to me?

Your mother would have to say yes to this question if she loves you.

Mother: Yes of course I would!

Then the path is opened for you to tell about your issue and your mother would have to listen properly beacuse you have agreed on the definition.

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2012, 7:20 am

Sometimes moms can't be who we need them to be. If you try again and fail understand that it may not be because you are not approaching her in the right way, or that you are not saying it in a way she can understand, but could be she is just not interested or that hearing about something that is a part of you that may seem strange to her is hard. As a mom I can say that it can be very complicated to process things about our children that might sound like things that will make their life harder.

What you have is an amazing talent, many talented artists (music, visual arts, writing etc etc etc) can do what they do because of their more highly tuned perceptions. Many great violinists see the colors and textures of the music. Just know that while this increased input that can make things overwhelming has many positives to it.

I hope things work out for you and that your mother listens in the way you seem to need her to.