NBC's "Autism: The Hidden Epidemic" - Thoughts?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

AmyGravino
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2005, 3:03 pm

Hi everybody! :)

I was just wondering what you all thought of NBC's autism-related block of programming the other day. I only managed to catch a small amount of it, but I was deeply troubled by the "cure, cure, cure" message that seemed to pervade the reports being given. Did any of you watch any of the reports? What are your thoughts on what they showed?

midge
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2005, 3:51 pm

I saw 3 segments of the report, and I was also a bit troubled by the message of a cure. On one hand, I'm sure it's very tough for families of people with autism and I can see why they are pushing for a cure, on the other hand people should see all sides to autism, both positive and negative, before making that kind of a decision. This report seemed to mostly focus on the negatives, particularily by calling it an epidemic, which implies that it is a disease. Plus, what's considered a negative to many NT's might not be negative at all to people with autism. It's good that it's getting some exposure, but I'd like to see more positivity and I'd really love to see reports, documentaries, etc. from the perspective of people with autism, which I believe is extremely, extremely important. To be honest, I'm sick of hearing what psychologists and other professionals think it's like :x

jman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 5:47 pm

Quote:
but I'd like to see more positivity and I'd really love to see reports, documentaries, etc. from the perspective of people with autism, which I believe is extremely, extremely important.

Did you see the report about Dan Marino's family. If not you can check it out here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7012582/

The kid's life parelels mine, except I didn't play football when I was in HS and was not in special ed. I thought it was encouraging video as it showed his son was very well adjusted despite his autism.

Unlike the other video with they had with Temple Grandid. First they showed Temple Grandin teaching a bunch college about caddle stalls or whatever. Then they show these two HFA adults. One was working as a medical transcriptionists but needed assintance in taking care of his personal needs. The other one lived with a group home and needed have an aide with him while he vacuumed carpets at a hotel.

To be perfectly honest I found the second video very degrading. Once again displaying the NT's ignorance about us. I can't wait til Mozart & the Whale comes out.

Ok, I'm done with my rant.

Justin

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 6:51 pm

what the hell is the mercury thing?
Im not sure i like the sound of 'epidemic', they should get a non-NT perspective.
A

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2005, 6:52 pm

You can call them... see www.autistics.org

codeman38
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2005, 10:43 pm

There was one really good clip I saw, though it wasn't on NBC, it was on CNBC... it was an interview with Nobel prize-winning economist Vernon Smith, who's recently 'outed' himself as an Aspie.

Here's the direct link to the video clip, from the official site.

I agree with jman on the Temple Grandin interview... I like that they interviewed Grandin, but the other adults they showed in the clip made the situation seem much more bleak. :?

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 11:34 pm

I watched the entire series on my computer. They did an okay job.

Minus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2005, 2:31 am

Bec: It's availible online? Where?

codeman38
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Mar 2005, 3:42 pm

Minusmanus wrote:
Bec: It's availible online? Where?

I'm not the person who brought it up, but as I have the link on hand, here it is:

http://www.autismspeaks.org/autism/menu/video.asp

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2005, 3:47 pm

it was ok but not enough emphasis on AS

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2005, 3:52 pm

I agree with one of the PP's posts.

Temple Grandin's fine, but the other Aspie adults they showed looked ret*d.

They didn't show any adults like myself who are married, with a baby, a house and a relatively typical suburban lifestyle. That disappointed me.

I am also a former model, so when you look at people like Grandin (who resemble Pat from SNL) and the other adults they showed, it completely misrepresents the broadness of characteristics associated with AS.

In fact, when people I have known for years are told I am an Aspie, they think I am lying and they say, "no way."

Honestly, I think for the more severely affected people on our spectrum need some kind of cure. Watching the videos of the more severely affected children broke my heart.

It scares me to think I was born one protein or two away from being severely disabled.

I think all of us Aspies who are higher functioning should try and make an effort to volunteer with less functioning children. After all, we totally understand what they are going through and I think we would be much more sensitive to their needs than an NT every could be. I know as soon as my daughter becomes a little more independent, I am definitely going to make the effort.

Tallgirl.

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2005, 8:38 pm

I didn't like the series...At All!! :(

kaixo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2005, 2:18 pm

i like what smith said about feeling comfortable as a teacher because it was professional socializing. i don't think many people make that distinction. for instance, i can "socialize" to a certain point with my classmates, but my interest (and comfort) in the conversation plummets once the topic of specific course material starts to wane.

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2005, 6:07 pm

I did appreciate that they presented different theories on the causes of autism and didn't blow off the vaccination theory.

Tallgirl.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2005, 2:14 pm

I feel that without people with autistic spectrum disorders, our society would have been extremely dull, and we wouldn't have had the inventions that help our society. People like Einstein, who discovered new laws for physics, and Bill Gates, who helped make one of the world's leading computer software company, as well as helping to make the first personal computer. I feel that if people wanted to cure autistic spectrum disorders, that they should take into consideration that they would be getting rid of a huge piece out of our society, and it would take out a huge piece out of society's imagination and individuality in people.