Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 7:44 pm

Memories start at about the time I became verbal again. A bit after 3, I remember scattered stuff. At four years I have lots of memories..
But my first memory is actually a rather mature dream in which I was a scientist that was killed in an explosion. Also, of snow over my head! LOL

Sincerely,
Matthew

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2012, 9:25 pm

I have memories that are bits and pieces of when I was a baby, learning to crawl and started walking. I was told I started walking at about 7 months.

When I was in my late twenties I was shown a picture of me around 5 months old. The looks on the faces of those that were there was funny. I told them what was out of sight of that picture.

Memories become much more continuous after about 6 months old.

I use to think everybody remembered being little, but have long learned it is not that way.
I can not recall memories on demand, they flow in to my mind randomly or something triggers them to come out, like all memories do.

There are songs that I listened to when I was less than two and not since. If I listen to one, everything around that time fills my mind.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 10:19 pm

My earliest memory is at 2yrs old being carried by somebody watching my grandfather shoot a sick dog with a shotgun. The noise kind of shocked me enough to stay in my head.

TheWolf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2012, 3:32 am

I remember Hurricane Andrew when I was 3 years old. I remember I was in my driveway looking south and it was a really dark sky.

It's not a very precise memory, but it's my earliest.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 3:36 am

I think I can remember as far back as 3 years old maybe even 2 but just mainly bits and peices of it but I can truly remember preschool.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

SuperSimoholic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2012, 9:02 pm

Being asked by my mum if "he" touched me on my private area or chest at the age of 2 or 3... I only found out who "he" from my memory is when I asked my mum about it at the age of 16/17... Not a very nice first memory, but it's my first memory. :/

schizoid26
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jul 2012, 9:54 pm

Spilling chips in my mother's hospital room when she was going to give birth to my brother, at 3. I'm a clumsy ox, so I spill crap all the time!

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2012, 4:12 am

2-4 years old, trying to steal cod liver oil from the ice box, throwing stones in the fish pond of the man next door, my grandma giving me aspirin in a tablespoon of water, my grandma explaining the difference between my father and my uncle, who looked rather like one another.
It was some kind of fish oil and, yes, I loved it.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 3:04 pm

Bump?

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2012, 7:21 pm

Earliest memory?

I was sitting on an Army cot when Mom said, Give her some orange juice. Maybe that'll make her feel better.

Was about 1, almost 1.5 years old, and sick with German measles.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 7:28 pm

At least when I was 2 - I spoke to my Mom, who had just given birth to my brother, on the phone at my Nan's. It was a black wall phone. I stood on a chair. She did not live at that place much longer so I could not pieced it from when I was older. My Mom verified the call.

I don't know exactly how old I was, but it would have been somewhere around the same age. I was small enough that I grabbed a lady around her lower legs and said: Mooooommy. She patted me on the head and said: I'm not your Mommy, dear. I was kind of in awe and looked way up at her. This was in my aunt's old general store. Oh, I have more - like having a bath in the sink, etc.

My brother was a year old when Armstrong walked on the moon - he remembers and gives full details of the scenario. We lived in that home when we were really young.

I wonder if people have more memories than they realize from these ages? I don't know how anyone decides the cut-off for normal memory? Any ideas?

Sidmor
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2012, 3:30 am

I remember everything being warm and dark, and then I was pulled into something cold and white. It kinda sucked.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:22 am

I have several memories from a really early age, but only one that can be reasonably well dated.

I remember going to the doctor with strep throat when I was about 2 1/2. My mother had strep throat, too, but hers developed into rheumatic fever and she was stuck in bed all summer. My sister who was about 12 at the time had to take care of me and my younger brother that spring and summer.

I also remember being toilet trained sitting on that little bitty kids toilet. And being in the playpen with bright colorful plastic things on the side to twirl. Also memories of crawling before I learned to walk.

I also remember going to the hospital and looking through the nursery window at some baby in a crib. The only thing that makes sense is that it was my younger brother. If it was him, that places the memory at 1 year, 7 months.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 12:10 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
How do people assign a date or age to their earliest memories? I mean you wouldn't usually have looked at the calendar at the time, would you?

I can keep track of my ages for various things because we moved around a lot. So when I tie events to houses I can get a general idea of how old I was at the time.

My earliest memorieS -- I emphasize the plural because I can't really determine which came first. I just know what house we were living in at the time, and we didn't stay there long. We lived there for my brother's 1st birthday and 2nd Christmas, which would have been 1962. That makes me approximately 2-1/2...
-- My brother and I getting new rocking chairs for Christmas. I have a vague memory of there being a Flinstones coloring book in the chair, but I can't be sure. The cool thing is that we both still have our chairs. Mom said that they paid $65 each for those chairs in 1962. It's amazing how well those chairs held up through all we put them through.
-- Taking a bath with my Mom
-- My brother looking at a pop gun too closely and pinching his nose in it. He still has the scar across the bridge of his nose.
-- Splitting my chin open, and Mom picking me up and carrying me in her arms to the doctor, who was in the next block. I still have the scar from that too.
-- Cutting my left index finger on a tin can. Once again, still have the scar....my clumsiness kicked in really early....LOL

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2012, 5:39 am

Earliest one for me is falling over while running, around age 2 or so. I didn't cry or anything and was just fascinated by the blood dripping down my leg. Another early memory would be me laying on the floor with my feet against the wall and kicking it and the clock falling and breaking lol.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm

my earliest memory is of around 4 years old when i was separated from my grand mom who raised me when my mom abandoned me at 1 month of age.
my parents came to collect me back from my grandmom when i was 4 years old i remember i was crying badly and my dad started slapping me extremely.
that was the day when the beatings started and it continued till the day my dad died i only remember all the beatings, abuses hurled by my parents and brother.