Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 1:27 pm

I was laying on the floor,twisting my hair,sucking my bottle looking at the dust floating in the sunbeam that is streaming thru the French door.Feeling peaceful.I was about four.I have a lot of very clear early memories that I can date accurately since we moved from this house when I was five.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2012, 4:16 pm

DoniiMann wrote:
I guess it's technically impossible, but I believe I can remember coming out and the sharp contrast of the intense light from outside the womb, and bits of the humidity crib because I was apparently kept in hospital for a couple of weeks.

After that, about eight or nine months, standing up beside a lounge chair and holding on, heavy curtains and a dark room, and the blocks I had at the time.

I thought I had some early memories, but it's amazing you could remember being born.

My earliest memory was a memory of me being in my crib when I was a baby and I remember being very entertained by a baby toy I had.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 5:12 pm

Marybird wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
How do people assign a date or age to their earliest memories? I mean you wouldn't usually have looked at the calendar at the time, would you?

My family moved around a lot when I was small, so I am able to date my early memories by where I was or what people were there.

I'm impressed by the deductive logic that so many of us have used in our curiosity about the early years. Aspies would often make good historians I think.

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2012, 11:58 pm

I also moved about alot when when I was a child, that's how i'm able to remember my where abouts growing up, along with

memories linked to major impressions left on me from certain moments, it's easy enough to understand. Smell seems to

trigger alot of memories for me, like the smell of the playing blocks with numbers and letters on them my parents bought me, I remember them quite vividly.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2012, 7:47 am

Alfonso12345 wrote:
I thought I had some early memories, but it's amazing you could remember being born.

My earliest memory was a memory of me being in my crib when I was a baby and I remember being very entertained by a baby toy I had.

I believe I remember it, good enough for myself. The whole picture is 'the event', large vertical white moving shapes towering above me, being moved along by some kind of trolley, and the humidy crib.

Then nothing til standing up assisted by the lounge chair.

Who knows. A trick of the mind maybe. But I accept it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Jul 2012, 7:59 am

Hmm, my earliest memory was when I was ~6 months old and using a walker.

After that, I recall eating bits of a cheeseburger (which was delicious).

After that, I remember leaving the house early one morning. I managed to get across the street before my mother caught me.

All of the above was before I was a year old. I verified two of the three, but my mother didn't remember the most vivid (the cheeseburger).

Sylph
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2012, 11:38 am

I do remember one memory quite well, I was 2 my dad was a smoker back then and while he was holding me I reached up to grab the cigarette and got burned. Since that incident dad told me he never smoked again.

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

I remember pooping in my diaper in the morning next to my mom who was still asleep in bed. What a nice wake up call haha.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

I have a lot of memories from before I could talk. They just consist of images and sensations, and of course I have no way of knowing when or what they were except by holding them up to what I later learned. Some of them were confirmed later by my parents. I guess the very earliest, if true memories, might be the ones of being in a dark, warm and cramped space playing with my own hair and fingers, without having names for any of these things. Or lying in a glass bassinet being very thirsty, in very bright light, and crying until my throat was sore (I was only in the hospital at birth, only for a couple days, and my bassinet at home was a typical basket-type one). I also remember being in my crib and looking at the bars and shadows moving across the wall, practicing talking while alone there but being afraid to use those words for the first time around my parents, and more memories of being thirsty and crying, afraid that no one would ever come back. When I started learning German, memories started coming back to me when listening to people speak English was similarly confusing, when I could only pick up on a few words and had to guess at the rest. I vaguely remember lying on the floor trying to push my head and shoulders up with great difficulty, which is something I did around 3 months, and the blanket I had at the time. I remember my great-grandmother who died when I was two making pasta on a table which I recognized years later. I remember biting the nose off my toy Snoopy when I overheard my mom worrying that I might and started me wondering if it was possible (at about 18 months). All these memories are hard to access unless I remembered them at some point in childhood and "labeled" the events in them then, since they had no labels at the time and I think I usually access memories through those labels (ones like "when I was three", "when we moved to the farmhouse", etc.) and over time they seem to get buried under more information - I remember a time when I remembered more, if that makes any sense.

ker08
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

earliest I have is of running to the outstretched arms of my great-grandmother. It's not a cohesive memory, almost like snapshots. Seeing her chair & the side/back of her head, seeing her standing next to the chair w/her arms open, & the exhuberance I felt running towards her.

She died when I was 2yrs 3mos old. Given I felt like it was warm outside, I believe this memory occured either right after I turned 2, or right before.

After that I have some random memories, but my good longterm memory started when I was about 4.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

Nothing

(Nothing is actually my first memory. Darkness can describe it, and if you can describe it, it's not "nothing" then is it?)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 1:28 pm

I remember being in a dark, warm, snug place then suddenly being squeezed very hard; then I was dazzled by lots of bright lights. Then someone held me upside down by my ankles and spanked my bottom and said aloud "You've got a boy". :wink:

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

I found a box of clothes and stuff at my nans when I was about 8 and the smell of them produced a memory of me being held by an old woman who was looking down at me (I'd never seen her before). My grandad told me they were my great nans who died soon after I was born (2 months) and only met me one. I told him I remember an oldish woman and that she was wearing a light green top, was told that there is no way I'd remember that day and Mom/Nan/Grandad agreed the she was in a floral dress until they found a picture in an aunties album of me being held by her and wearing plain light green blouse. I could never have seen that photo.

Your Aspie score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 68 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 2:19 pm

Sylph wrote:
I do remember one memory quite well, I was 2 my dad was a smoker back then and while he was holding me I reached up to grab the cigarette and got burned. Since that incident dad told me he never smoked again.

That's just reminded me of my first ever cigarette. I tried to grab my uncle's cigarette, and he pulled it away from me and said "burn" - then a bit later I grabbed the cig out of the ashtray and put it in my mouth and tried to blow through it (didn't know you were supposed to suck), then Mum noticed and hurriedly snatched it off me. Judging by the one-word communication attempt by my uncle, I guess I wasn't old enough to be expected to understand whole sentences yet. What age is that, normally?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

I have a memory of being a few months old on the beach and watching my brother and dad build a sand castle. I thought this was a memory from significantly later, but my mum dates it at 3 or 4 months rather than years.

The first memory I can date properly is going to see my new born cousin when I was nearly 2.

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2012, 7:22 pm

I can remember my third birthday with vivid detail. I also remember when my grand parents sold their Mercedes when I was 2.5 years old. Just a month before this I remember when my brother was born. I remember taking the stroller from my grand father (I had just learned to walk) rather than being in it. Later, when my mother was released from the hospital, I dropped her car keys down the elevator shaft. She was not amused. I have memories that may date back before that but I really don't know exactly when they took place.