Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:53 am

coolies wrote:
How do you work out where the 'Line' is before you cross it?

It's very hard for me to know. I've crossed that line too many times in my life... Practicing / experience helps quite a bit, though.

coolies wrote:
A lot of the older workers assume I'm being a smart ass. Maybe because I'm younger than them... I also get told I need to be more diplomatic

Being diplomatic and also non-offensive, non-assuming is a good starting point.

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 7:01 am

I really try to not be offensive, and I try not to lose it at work too much, very difficult when they change things so often. I do sometimes wander off when it gets too much but then have a lot of explaining to do when I return.

I just feel so different to everyone and that gap is always there, I want to understand the
and get along but it's so hard

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 7:03 am

I've got a summer job (part-time) at a fast food restaurant. I really really don't like it, but I need the money.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 8:25 am

I work full time hours, with flexible start/end/break times and I can also work from home. I get a bit more flexibility than most, but I'm also effectively on call all the time and I am expected to complete work outside official hours, so it balances out.

The only down-side is in the office it's an open-plan environment, which distracts me more than I admit.

I recommend the book "The rules of work", this is a great book that gives some practical, no-nonsense guide to surviving the workplace.

I've had my fair share of putting my foot in it with people in the workplace. As it's hardly ever a personal attack on anyone and I don't bear grudges, it's never reached a crisis.

Jason.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 2:48 pm

coolies wrote:
I really try to not be offensive, and I try not to lose it at work too much, very difficult when they change things so often. I do sometimes wander off when it gets too much but then have a lot of explaining to do when I return.

I just feel so different to everyone and that gap is always there, I want to understand the
and get along but it's so hard

Besides what I've already written, I'd consider that sometimes trying too hard to be friendly with co-workers can be an issue for autistics. Don't try to fit in so hard. Try to understand motivations and what others want / would like to see, and it includes even you. Sometimes it's only small gestures or a few words that make the difference. These are recommendations only, you don't have to do all of it right the moment you get to your workplace, of course.

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 8:10 pm

Thanks for your response, ill keep that I'm mind at work