Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 2:19 am

I'm wondering how many of you have jobs be it casual, part time or full time? What kinds of jobs do you have and do you enjoy it?

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 2:22 am

I work full time delivering pizza. I hate my job but it pays well and keeps a roof over my head. I am trying to finish college starting this fall though and hope to get into something better suited to my personality.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2012, 2:25 am

Worked full time as an engineer at a printer company. Volunteered for a layoff this year and moved to Seattle for better climate and better job prospects. With light sensitivity, a city that is cloudy 3/4 of the year is not a bad thing.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 2:28 am

Work part time in the areas of my interests.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 2:35 am

I work part time doing cleaning. I like it. I think it's all I can handle right now despite I have worked full time in the past.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 2:51 am

I make hammocks (by hand) for Twin Oaks intentional community. Labor hours required, for all members, is 42 hours a week. No problem there. I've pretty well 'secured' the hammock production shop, to use military parlance, and with coffee on the house plus my favorite music on all the time, I have myself a decent deal. I work independently, mainly nocturnally.

Former 'job' was househusband, raising 2 little girls, great experience, but, once the kids got to school, my wife pink-slipped me.

EQ: 6.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:16 am

<---Between jobs at the moment. Am a nurse by trade. It sucks, but somebody has to take care of the sick and dying.

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 3:26 am

I just finished nursing im doing another course
I've never worked in a hospital, what has your experience been?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:38 am

I work full time as an economist. Sometimes I have sensory issues in the office and not all co-workers are easy to get along with but generally I'm ok with it.

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 4:22 am

How do you deal with the difficult ones?

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:03 am

I don't really know how to answer the question. My "job" is as a music teacher - I teach private lessons on bass and guitar, and perhaps soon starting with piano as well. I also am in multiple bands that do paid gigs. The lessons are weekly, I charge $20 per half hour, but I don't have a ton of students (started recently with it), so I don't make a lot of money from it for the time being, not like someone would make from a full time job, but I make enough to give me some financial independence.

The gigs are an unpredictable source of income. Sometimes we get high paying ones, sometimes we get lower paying ones, sometimes we get higher paying ones, or just a week or two with a -lot- of gigs. Sometimes you get things like $800 and 4 hotel rooms split between the band members, or you make all together $4000 in a weekend, other times you're playing for free (like last weekend - there was a block party in the middle of an avenue downtown where I live, and we played that for free). Then sometimes there can be stretches of time with no gigs at all.

But, seeing as music is my only source of income, does it count as "working" when I'm practicing? If so then I work pretty much all day long with small breaks. There are also band practices, jam sessions, and times where I must prepare material for private lessons.

At the same time, none of it feels like work to me -at all-. So I don't know how to answer your question. I am actually a business owner though, I do have a business license. (very small business - the private lessons) One of the bands I'm in also has a business license (which also happens to be the most lucrative band).

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:49 am

I work three days a week at a University. I don't want to disclose my job as I am fairly sure that some of the students I work with frequent here and I don't want to be identified or make them feel uncomfortable. Three days completely exhausts me and I need the rest of the time to be fairly solitary and quiet to allow me to recharge work another three days the next week... but I really enjoy my job.

Last edited by YellowBanana on 07 Jul 2012, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:50 am

I currently work full time in a lab. (12+ years) Before that I taught school.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:13 am

coolies wrote:
How do you deal with the difficult ones?

Well, I'm definitely not trying to be the center of conversations and chit-chats. I'm trying to do my job the best I can, and be as professional in interacting with the difficult ones as possible. To gain some respect (and you must, if you don't want to be run over and pushed to the side completely) sometimes you need to stand up or speak up for yourself, taking up conflicts if it's necessary. In the meantime, you can be kind with all of your co-workers, including the difficult ones. :wink:

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 6:19 am

How do you work out where the 'Line' is before you cross it?
A lot of the older workers assume I'm being a smart ass. Maybe because I'm younger than them... I also get told I need to be more diplomatic

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:36 am

I volunteer on and off now or do odd jobs. Wish I could get a part time job, but probably will do by the time I go back to Brazil.