Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2012, 12:12 pm

I have a lot of work to do but if something happens when I'm working on something that makes it difficult, it's extremely hard to get back to working on it. I had some trouble last week on my work that really frustrated me, and I've been really arrogant and antithetical to society lately. And there's been some 'tension' at home. I've had insomnia all week. I feel like getting on a motorcycle and heading in a random direction until there's enough space and then blowing up the motorcycle and walking out into the forest and just sitting there and waiting.
But anyway I have this work to do. Any suggestions? I already have coffee.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 1:41 pm

I have a job that requires serious multitasking, and it takes a lot out of me. I have noticed, however, it seems to go much better if I do the following.

I try to get at least 6 hours of sleep every day. I do suffer from occasional insomnia, and some things that help are to expose myself to as much bright light as possible throughout the day, avoid wearing sunglasses unless the UV index is high, don't nap, get up at the same time every day, limit my caffeine intake, and try to get some regular exercise.

I try to eat well. Fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats are awesome for making my brain run better, and it increases my stress threshold also.

I try to plan my workloads. Knowing what's coming up helps me prepare for what I have to do, and it's also good to let people that may routinely pop in know when you're not available, and when you are.

I try to know my limits, and ask for help when I'm getting swamped. It's easy for me to try to get too much done at once. If I focus on what I'm comfortably able to, my work will be done faster and better than if I'm scraping through a bunch of stuff.

If I do get overwhelmed, it's good to have my work prioritized, so when I need to cut back, I'm still able to get the most important stuff done.

Lastly, keep stuff organized and take notes notes notes. I am a huge fan of sticky notes and highlighters. And it might take a little effort to do that, but it ALWAYS ends up saving me time and energy.

Good luck!

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2012, 2:27 pm

I'm alone at home. suddenly I can focus.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2012, 4:24 pm

Make a list, but break it into tiny pieces, so if you get interrupted, you are only getting interrupted on a small portion. It is also sometimes easier to tackle the smaller bits ie> clean my room is too daunting, but I can 1. sweep the floor, 2. remove dishes from the desk 3. fold the laundry 4. put the laundry away, etc.

Also, if I have something that I want to do or have to do, I find that my resistance to getting starting is diminished by having the tools all in one place and available, sort of set up and ready to go, so I dont get started and then have to go hunting for pieces around the house. This way all I have to do is sit down and get started, and I have everything in arms reach for the project.

I hope that helps :)