So how do you go about doing things like eating/ect.

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 12:11 am

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Well if I have a plate of different foods, I usually don't like the foods touching the other foods depending on what it is. Also, usually I'll eat the foods one at a time. ex- If I had mashed potatoes, corn and fish...I might eat the fish first, then the mashed potatoes and then the corn.

I do the exact same thing. I also don't like trying new foods and all of the foods I eat are usually fairly bland. I have no toleration for hot or spicy food and I kind of think that goes along with my fairly sensitive sense of smell. I also dislike foods with certain colors, like blue. It just doesn't seem natural to me to eat something blue as most edible things are not naturally that color. Likewise, I don't like eating things like hard boiled Easter eggs that have had food coloring run into them. Then again, I won't eat eggs any way other than scrambled, so it's kind of irrelevant. I also don't like foods with fruit cooked into them, like pies or blueberry pancakes. I like pancakes and will even eat blueberries but won't eat them together.

When I go to a restaurant, I am somewhat careful in choosing where I sit. I don't want to be in the middle of the room and prefer to be close to a window, so I can watch my car and make sure no one is messing with it. Other factors like placement of the drink fountain, bathrooms or buffet/salad bar can also play into it as well. I usually prefer to sit where I am not easily noticed by other people too as I don't usually want to be disturbed.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 12:40 am

I will eat every last bean or every last grain of rice on the plate.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 12:46 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I eat my meals one food at a time and I save my meat for last, because I like it the most. :)

I also eat mine one food at a time, and I also save the best thing on the plate for last - I even remember the very day, the very moment I started doing that (saving the best for last), which was when I was in first grade.

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jul 2012, 12:53 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I eat my meals one food at a time and I save my meat for last, because I like it the most. :)

This is exactly how I eat aswell, ever since I was young I've eaten like this. I also like my food/drinks at or near room temperature

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Jul 2012, 1:02 am

I'll only eat specific things when I'm in a specific mood.

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2012, 1:07 am

Callista wrote:
I forget to eat until I start trembling from hunger, and then I grab whatever's edible and shovel it down until I'm no longer hungry. Rinse-and-repeat. As a result, I'm carrying around 50 extra pounds...

Sometimes I do this. I also eat mostly sugary stuff. I am actually borderline underweight (male, 5' 11'', ~140lbs.) and I will shake when I have eaten nothing but sugary stuff all day. Those days I feel like a crackhead, because in addition to shaking I will also cease to think clearly and my speech is delayed because I need extra time to think about it.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 3:38 am

corvuscorax wrote:
Do you eat your food or do other related rituals in a particularly peculiar way?...

Yes we do, seems like we have something in common. :)

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Well if I have a plate of different foods, I usually don't like the foods touching the other foods depending on what it is. Also, usually I'll eat the foods one at a time.
Jtuk wrote:
I eat one thing at a time, starting with my least favorite item.
questor wrote:
I eat most of my meals, one food at a time.
CockneyRebel wrote:
outofplace wrote:
lostgirl1986 wrote:
Well if I have a plate of different foods, I usually don't like the foods touching the other foods depending on what it is. Also, usually I'll eat the foods one at a time.
I do the exact same thing.
Atomsk wrote:
I also eat mine one food at a time, and I also save the best thing on the plate for last
coolies wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
This is exactly how I eat aswell, ever since I was young I've eaten like this. I also like my food/drinks at or near room temperature

At the age of 1-4 I had a tendancy to never mix food on my plate, and I always ate all the meat first(except one piece), then all the potatoes, then all the vegetables, and then the one piece of meat at the end (incase I got full before the plate was empty, I had eaten most of the best, and I always had that one piece left to leave a good taste in my mouth for when I was done). Also, when I were a child, I had this ritual of always going to the toilet before sitting down for a meal. My family teased me about it, thats why I remember.

Callista wrote:
I forget to eat until I start trembling from hunger, and then I grab whatever's edible and shovel it down until I'm no longer hungry. Rinse-and-repeat.

I also do it this way. Some days I don't really move much, and don't need as much food, and other days while I'm more active my body just screams for nurisment because I always miscalculate how much I need.

corvuscorax wrote:
My family gets kind of annoyed from the fact that I insist to make sure all of my meats are cooled to about 40 or so degrees (Fahrenheit) before eating it. I get the same way with my coffee too and oftentimes I just leave it out, waiting for it to cool.

I can't drink my coffee before it tempered, and then I have about 5 minutes where I can drink it before it is too cold. I usually leave atleast hald a cup behind when I leave the table.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:49 am

I'm very lazy about eating. When I'm covered in my special interests, I'll eat just about anything I find, just so I won't starve. I once ate 5 raw potatoes because I didn't want to leave my interest to cook them.

Also I'm very sensitive to spicy food, and I can't drink hot beverages. I have to let my coffee cool down for ages after my mother has already finished hers.

Ooh and since you all mentioned it, I too start with the last favourite thing and leave the best for last. Not always, but most of the time.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 7:48 am

MeerkatFetish wrote:
Jtuk wrote:
3. I've developed a swallowing problem, I think this is anxiety related, so I can only eat when i have something to drink.

I can relate to this, it's so frustrating to always having to rely on nearby fluids(:roll:) in order to eat anything. No idea if it's actually anxiety related, but I guess I've made it into a habit for some weird reason.

For me it's definitely in my head. Sometimes food needs an extra swallow to go all the way down, I now interpret this feeling as choking or if breath or dislodge it, then I will choke. I brought this up during CBT, but I haven't overcome it yet. I'll just stick to keeping a drink to hand. The only problem is that there are circumstances where a drink isn't available, I've found myself turning down food..

One other odd thing is I drink far too much in the way of liquids and I do tend to drink too fast, I'm not talking about alcohol as such, the same is true with coffee/coke/water/juice. It goes down in one hit, then I'm looking for another. I've done this since I was a child.

Jason.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2012, 7:52 am

Callista wrote:
I forget to eat until I start trembling from hunger, and then I grab whatever's edible and shovel it down until I'm no longer hungry. Rinse-and-repeat. As a result, I'm carrying around 50 extra pounds...

Oh god, I do this too. It really worried my parents. Except because of that, I was actually underweight.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 8:42 am

I also leave hot drinks a for a long time to cool down.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 9:40 am

Another one thing at a timer here. And I'm rather messy.