How do you know if you have a working memory problem?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2012, 6:33 am

Just wondering.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 6:43 am

It's an interesting question - I'd never come across the concept until I started working through the diagnosis.

The short answer is probably, you wouldn't - you might notice a preference for keeping things simple, you might miss a point or two on the checklist, but that's normal for you - you've never known anything different. You'd assume, if assumption were neccessary, that everyone else had the same limitations. Four items, seven items, it's small change really. And, given effective information tools, it remains small change. Only when those with an edge to fight autistics would even notice.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 7:35 am

At http://www.cambridgebrainsciences.com they have 4 different memory tests, I struggled with the one called "Paired Associates", managed 5 only, but with abit of practice I managed 6. It is boxes with images inside, everytime you get it right, they add one box. They turn over one box at a time for you to see, when done, they display one of the images, and you have to click the right box, this continues until you have remembered them all. It's apparent to me that mine maxed out at 5, but I were lucky to get 6 once. You will see statistics from all the people who took these tests, so you will get a sense of how you are compared to others.

Without having researched what exactly working memory is defined as, I assume this would be a way of messuring it.

It's free to register, free to use. They use the results for science, it has nothing to do with profit.

TalksToCats
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2012, 7:39 am

I have wondered about this too. I don't have an answer sorry.

I did an online IQ test which found that my 'computational processing' was 20 to 30 points lower than other IQ groups, I have no idea if this relates to working memory at all.

I'd be really grateful if someone could post a link to, or give, a good definition of what is meant by poor and good working memory.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 7:52 am

Yeah, taking the WAIS or some other working memory neuropsych test battery is really the only way to TRULY know if you have a problem with working memory. The type of digit span where they give you letters and numbers and you have to repeat back the letters in backwards alphabetical order- that's where my working memory deficits shine.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 7:59 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
The type of digit span where they give you letters and numbers and you have to repeat back the letters in backwards alphabetical order- that's where my working memory deficits shine.

Ahh, yes, I have watched movies and "stupid criminals" shows on tv, and the part where they ask a suspected drunk driver to recite the alphabet backwards bewilders me. I could never do that! >.< I have tried doing it while laying in bed before I go to sleep, I just never seem to manage it.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

09 Jul 2012, 8:38 am

Blownmind wrote:
OddDuckNash99 wrote:
The type of digit span where they give you letters and numbers and you have to repeat back the letters in backwards alphabetical order- that's where my working memory deficits shine.

Ahh, yes, I have watched movies and "stupid criminals" shows on tv, and the part where they ask a suspected drunk driver to recite the alphabet backwards bewilders me. I could never do that! >.< I have tried doing it while laying in bed before I go to sleep, I just never seem to manage it.

I must have trouble with that too cause I cant get past X in the backwards alphabet. However for possible interactions with the police, I recomdend wearing a medical ID bracelet, or neckchain. I have one that states that I have epilepsy, hearing loss, and autism.

gotta get back to a good book, see ya

Jojo

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 8:43 am

Blownmind wrote:
OddDuckNash99 wrote:

I can do it fairly easily - but it's because I'm good with visualization. I visualize the alphabet in a line and scroll through it backwards instead of forwards.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 8:49 am

Here's another test some of us took a while back:

http://cognitivefun.net/test/4

This is the thread that discussed it:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt145490.html

My problem was that I got progressively better (as did some others) once I'd pracvticed for a while. So it doesn't seem to be measuring the working memory in absolute terms.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 9:13 am

Quote:
How do you know if you have a working memory problem?

if my memory is working, then there is no problem as far as i am concerned. i would not worry about it.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 9:34 am

My problem is not with memory. It's with processing speed.

I do those Cambridge online tests, and I would do much better if everything was slowed down. I can do digit spans at other sites (where things are slower) up to 12 digits starting off. I don't know if that's a lot.

I can get things right 99% of the time, but when you throw it at me fast, you're asking me to fail.

TalksToCats
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2012, 10:20 am

EstherJ wrote:
My problem is not with memory. It's with processing speed.

I can get things right 99% of the time, but when you throw it at me fast, you're asking me to fail.

I've been thinking about this and would say I experience about the same as above, accept I'm only 90-95% right, if given more time.

I can get my being right higher than 95%, either if I take literally hours, or once I've learnt the pattern of things and can re-apply it; I haven't tried the tests ToughDiamond mentioned but would expect to improve with time too.