Adult Aspies...when did you first feel like an adult?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

stumbling_forward
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jul 2012, 9:04 am

indyadam wrote:
I think adulthood is standing up and pushing through life even when all you want to do is sit down and scream out "FOUL!! !"

I think that's an adult as hell thing to say, sir. Here's my phrasing for the same sentimental, a sort of personal mantra for hard times (i.e. Life):

The Only Way Out is Through

Regards to all.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 10:56 am

indyadam wrote:
I'd say about 21, I figured out about then why your allowed to start drinking legally then, My HS relationship came to an end, my mom was diagnosed with cancer, died a few months later, and my closest friends at the time abandoned me, then a repressed memory of a sexual assault came up and i had to get counseling for that. That left me picking up the pieces to a broken existence. I am still working on it, but i guess to get back to what you asked... I think you REALLY become and adult, when you realize life sucks and you cant just stop because its not easy anymore. I think adulthood is standing up and pushing through life even when all you want to do is sit down and scream out "FOUL!! !"

May I ask why your high school relationship ended?

indyadam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 1:35 pm

Quote:
May I ask why your high school relationship ended?

I went to college in Indiana, she went to a College in South Carolina, We gave it a shot for a year, but in the end we just grew apart, two cultures, 2 different life plans. Relationships are hard for normal people, Long distance is even harder, So a long distance relationship with an a guy with AS is impressive, I'll give her that. We are still good friends but in the end it just wasn't a good match for us

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jul 2012, 12:32 am

I'm 29 & I still don't feel like an adult & I doubt I ever really will

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

man-hands

11 Jul 2012, 3:59 pm

I felt self-responsible and financially stable when I was 23. Internally, I've always been just a little kid.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 6:13 pm

I still feel like a kid, every single fricking day, and I absolutely hate it.

I live with my parents and they insist on paying for all my stuff. I make a little bit of money by presenting about AS, but it's hardly enough for me to be able to live on my own. I'm looking for jobs right now, and though I was hired recently, I had to quit as some of the conditions of the job overwhelmed me, making me feel inadequate and irresponsible, like I'm still in high school. All I want is a freaking job. I've been looking for one since February, to no avail. I'm sick of it.

I also live out in the country and have delayed getting my full license since my parents drive standard cars, and that's way too much multitasking for me. I was living in the city before, and would do anything to have a job right now so I can return there ASAP and be able to actually go places via transit.

I can't wait to go back to finish up my university degree this coming September...though I will be commuting and still living with my parents, it will give me some responsibility at least and at least prove to my parents that I am capable of at least something.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Last edited by anneurysm on 11 Jul 2012, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnonymouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2012, 6:46 pm

It's not one moment. It's lots of little responsibilities and tragedies you gradually accumulate in life until finally your childhood hopes and dreams are crushed and you feel dead inside but keep getting out of bed anyway. Then you are an adult.

indyadam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2012, 1:50 am

Gnonymouse wrote:
It's not one moment. It's lots of little responsibilities and tragedies you gradually accumulate in life until finally your childhood hopes and dreams are crushed and you feel dead inside but keep getting out of bed anyway. Then you are an adult.

actually i think they call that depression

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 2:30 am

indyadam wrote:
Gnonymouse wrote:
actually i think they call that depression
:lol:

PokemonChampionIris
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2012, 10:34 am

....When I stopped watching violent anime? :? (no, pokemon isn't violent. there's no killing, just monsters getting stronger...)

Psychocandy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2012, 3:34 pm

I've always felt like an adult.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:38 pm

I'm 27 and I still feel like a child...... in terms of financial responsibility and independence as well as social maturity.

biribiri20
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2012, 10:17 am

I still feel like a kid and I doubt I ever really will reach that point. I'm in college but I really have trouble relating to the responsibility-filled lives of my fellow peers. I have responsibilities, sure, but I have trouble prioritizing them over my hobbies like an "adult" would and it's difficult trying to pay attention to them enough to stay on top of them. Not to mention, things most adults do for fun don't appeal to me. Also, I still cling very closely to my childhood dreams, since they've never really changed.

It's not all bad though. As a result, I'm the "fun adult" kids love to be around. For instance, yesterday, I had a discussion with my 12 year old cousins about Gravity Falls. We had a good laugh at some of the jokes and speculated about some of the mysteries, and finally at the end, they gave me a brofist before they left. I guess they were simply happy to find an adult that was into the same things they were, and I was happy I could be myself around them, both of which I found to be pretty cool :)

Diagnosis: ADHD-PI, suspected AS
Your Aspie Score: 142 of 200, Your NT Score: 74 of 200, You are very likely an Aspie
AQ: 38/EQ: 16/SQ: 52

Echo1030

16 Jul 2012, 6:09 pm

It's hard to say. I feel like I'm two people in one.... I have a wildly emotional half that in some ways is still very much a child, and an uber-intellectual-rational half that feels like it's been an adult since 13 or 14 or so.. though in looking back, it's definitely only been in recent years that the "whole picture" has ever been an adult (I'm in my late 20's).

horsegurl4190
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm

I would have to say that I first started to feel like an adult my freshmen year of college. It was the first time I was on my own in the "real world" so to speak. Even though my parents were still helping, I was making major life decisions for myself on my own for the first time. Living in the dorms definitely helped me feel more like an independent adult. I don't think I felt like a true adult though until I started working at Assateague Island National Seashore in the summers. I live in employee housing down in Maryland, I live in Pennsylvania, while I work there and I am completely on my own for everything. When I work over the summers I feel like a completely independent adult, and I am one for that matter.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

19 Sep 2012, 6:00 am

When I turned 20, probably. It's still a slow process, I'm not yet fully there, so to speak.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."