Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 7:01 pm

I thought people with Asperger's were supposed to be a normal weight or even underweight because of their sensitivity to food flavors and textures and stuff. That is one stereotype I would NOT mind having. I no longer live with my parents but I do spend maybe 90% playing games or browsing the internet on my computer. it's just that I have virtually nothing else to do in life now and it is passing me by faster than a speeding train, and the so-called city I live in is too boring and isolated for words.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2012, 9:01 pm

Aspertastic424 wrote:
I am annoyed by a certain stereotype about aspergers people. It is popular on the internet. It is that people with aspergers are generally overweight and greasy, and sit around playing video games in a basement all day long. Has anyone else heard this?

Well, I haven't heard it.. but there have been a variety of threads here with OPs claiming to do just that (minus being greasy)-- exploring the internet for interests all day, playing video games, and the like. There is a very weak work ethic and unwillingness to support oneself in a number of threads here. It's disturbing, and furthering the bad stereotype of laziness and lacking self-care.

I've not heard the overweight and greasy part of the stereotype so much. What, sensitivity to water?

I've heard the greasy, bum around all day more for mental illnesses. Usually the stereotype for that is a 40 year old overweight, unkempt man living in his mom's basement, playing video games, and doing nothing.

I find the stereotype off-putting... just as off-putting as people thinking we can't get jobs and support ourselves. We can, and we do.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2012, 9:35 pm

The stereotype seems to be more common on areas of the internet that deal with younger people. I think it's the reason why the term autistic is considered an insult, same as the word Jew really. I mean, I think we can all agree that it's pretty silly that kids are calling each other autistic or Jew to get at each other.

I haven't seen anyone personally that's like this, I do have one friend who is like 5 lbs overweight and does play a lot of video games, but he's at least trying to get a job, and in this economy and the whole "job personality" thing, I can't blame him for not having one. I wish those personality tests for a lot of these entry position jobs were illegal! He certainly does NOT take to the "using federal money to cover his AS" as a way out and openly refuses to use it unless he is in dire straits. Like a lot of people here, I've seen a lot more NT losers (usually dropouts with parents who think their kids are little "angels") than those with AS that have been in that situation.

We can all blame this stereotype on none other than the infamous Chris-Chan. Disgusting, vile and perhaps the the most detrimental person to society that hasn't killed anyone... yet.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."