Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 5:20 pm

How do you build rapport, that is, be around them when it is okay to be around them?
Example: You don't get to know someone by going to the bathroom with them lol.
That would make even the most thick-headed Aspies uncomfortable.

Last edited by muslimmetalhead on 09 Jul 2012, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 5:25 pm

I am almost certain if you followed people into a bathroom to talk you'd be spitting out teeth left and right.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 8:46 pm

People usually meet my wife first and get to know me through her. She's so awesome, they just assume I'm cool too. She's a great, charming way to break the ice. If they met me first, I'm sure things would be very different.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

LoudMuch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2012, 11:24 pm

One word, Mirroring!

One of the many social skills I studied and learned during personal growth study in the last 5 years.

Such a shame really that i'm Asocial xD

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 11:34 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
How do you build rapport, that is, be around them when it is okay to be around them?
Example: You don't get to know someone by going to the bathroom with them lol.
That would make even the most thick-headed Aspies uncomfortable.

I'll just say something like "Hey, how ya doing?" and then go from there. It's much, much easier in this small town because I can always say "Aren't you kin to so and so?" or mention some tidbit of local "news" and ask if they heard about it and is it true. Then I'll mention something I like and ask if they like it, or I'll ask them if they like something that they look like they like, or ask where they live (small town so it's ok to do this). Just go from there basically.

However, sometimes girls get to know each other by going to the bathroom together in public places like restaurants or bars. Speaking a few words to another girl who has been brought along and who I don't know, just across the table at first then say "I'm going to the ladies room, want to come with me?" or she says it. It's quieter in there than in a bar so we can hear each other and we can also talk without the other people from the table there, like "Where did you meet Tommy? He's great isn't he?" or something like that. Going to the bathroom does not mean girls have to pee either. Sometimes we go in to look in the mirror and check hair and makeup and talk. Boys cannot do this, from what I understand. I don't think boys can even acknowledge each other in the bathroom unless it's an emergency like a heart attack. We however, use it as bonding time.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2012, 12:29 am

I walk up to them and try to strike up a conversation with them if they look interesting. If I don't have ANYONE in a certain situation I always try to find one, so I can have someone to retreat to in the situation. I usually become friends by talking about something at them and seeing if they show interest. It doesn't make many friends but my best friend and I met this way and we're like peanut butter and jelly.

If it doesn't gel it ends up being VERY AWKWARD VERY QUICKLY, hahaha.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

jdanaya
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 6:31 pm

I am not sure if i have aspergers my mom says I do , but anyway I talk to people just naturally like I am very extroverted, and I like to talk to anyone, but I have very few close friends because I don't let anyone in competly, but out of everyone my one freind who we always end up joking around is probably my closest friend.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jul 2012, 12:20 am

I let them initiate. Being in situations where I'll be around people a while & have some required interaction helps; like working with people or belonging to a club

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 6:21 pm

I consider the situation that brought us together and we have a conversation about that. I try to focus on the other person's ideas and then build things off of them. If we're in the same class, we'll talk about the teacher, lessons, and assignments. When I'm at a party, I'll ask how they know the host and what activities they have in common with them.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.