Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 6:32 pm

Hey!
The other week I fell ill with a bad cold which made me really really tired. I was too tired to go out or do anything else. So I was sitting in my chair wondering what the hell to do apart from playing Minecraft and I thought of some "light" PHP projects I could do (What a joke!) so I thought up a simple concept of a forum. It turns out this was a good idea. About 6 hours after establishing the project I had a simple concept up and going. This concept worked well... I wanted to do some more work on it. Now, a few weeks later it has really taken off progress wise as it is all looking nice and slick and its working flawlessly. Some day I might release it if its good enough.

Anything interesting going on with your projects?

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 8:08 pm

If you make forum software that can actually scale reasonably well, and has good support for caching (or, at least, a really good plugin architecture) - let me know. I would be very interested in something like that.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 8:10 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
If you make forum software that can actually scale reasonably well, and has good support for caching (or, at least, a really good plugin architecture) - let me know. I would be very interested in something like that.

Will do! Its in very very early stages at the moment. Its barely even Alpha.. But I might be thinking of implementing the features you mentioned. Anyway, if I do get around to something like that at some point, I'l let you know :)

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 8:45 pm

Bear in mind, before you pour too much time into it, that this is a wheel that's been invented a few times before.

There will be an open source something out there that'll already have your market: working on it will bring you greater satisfaction and reward than breaking your own nails on the rock.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 8:53 pm

peterd wrote:
Bear in mind, before you pour too much time into it, that this is a wheel that's been invented a few times before.

There will be an open source something out there that'll already have your market: working on it will bring you greater satisfaction and reward than breaking your own nails on the rock.

First of all - how would you proclaim to know what will bring *someone else* "greater satisfaction and reward". That's more than slightly presumptuous.

Based on my experience, there really isn't a forum solution that's even close to decent in terms of scalability. Especially nothing open-source. I pretty much hate every forum package that exists - and if someone made something I actually liked, I would absolutely use/contribute to it.

Most of the forum code bases are so old at this point that a fresh start without any misconceptions on architecture or technical limitations would be extremely valuable.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 12:49 am

I wish I had time to develop what the previous poster is looking for. Maybe I will at the end of the year. I already have some ideas of how I would write it. I wouldn't use PHP, I see PHP as crusty and somewhat high overhead. I'd probably make it available both as a plugin for Apache and as a standalone web server. I'd write it in C++. I would cache as much of the entire backend db as possible (hopefully 100% of it) on the hard drive and subsequently system RAM on the web server. I would just query mysql for deltas. Millisecond response time FTW.