Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Adam917
Raven
Raven

10 Jul 2012, 12:40 am

:-P

Just keeping the trend going. My predictions:

Population will drop to 1 billion (10^9) or less & those people will still be cleaning up the mess their ancestors (us and our ancestors) brought about by wreaking the planet out of pure greed & selfishness.

A resource-based economy will be the norm, with every single object used going back into the system to be used for another purpose. Money will not exist & people will not have jobs as we currently see it, but they will have duties that involve taking care of the environment (be it Earth or whatever planets we discover & visit).

Spirituality will most certainly still exist but it's unlikely to look like organised monotheistic western religions.

People will have nanomachines or even tinier things inside them to take care of whatever ailments may happen to them.

AIDS, cancer, & other present-day chronic diseases/conditions will be eliminated but that won't mean the end of epidemics & pandemics, for newer, more powerful diseases will exist.

Another plague will break out well before 2199 (possibly before the end of this Century), causing war over who gets treated & who doesn't.

People will live to well past 100 years old normally, & may never die except in extreme accidents.

Brain downloading/uploading will be done at regular intervals automatically & a human being will be able to be restored with ease should they die or have brain damage.

By the end of the 22nd Century, the entire world's population will be 'grey' demographically (in that the number of people entering retirement will far exceed the number of children being born - happening now in several countries - entire western world by 2050, all industrialised countries by 2100, world after that).

Genetic alteration of human beings is done regularly, however some people are against it (I personally am in the against camp for now, due to human selfishness) & people will be judged ever more harshly because attractiveness & desirability will be chosen, not occur by chance. I really fear this happening in my own lifetime (born 1985).

Vactrains (Discovery Channel - Extreme Engineering, 2003) & space planes will replace airlines & rail trains, allowing anyone to get from anywhere to anywhere on Earth in under 4 hours' time.

Fabbing (downloading/making physical objects with computers) will be how most non-food objects will be acquired.

Have any more?

PS: I count the centuries & millennia a bit differently, preferring this century/millennium starting at 2000 rather than 2001, & using a 0 & negative numbers for years before 1 CE. I also prefer saying 'the eighteen hundreds' for the time period 1800--1899 as opposed to 'the eighteenth Century or 1801--1900. I capitalised 'century' in the thread title because I believe use of the word in this sense is referring to a particular century in a particular calender system (proleptic Gregorian in this case) as opposed to any century or 'a period of time lasting 100 years'...

Last edited by Adam917 on 10 Jul 2012, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 12:47 am

Readily available quantum computers producing network holographic results in real time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 1:19 am

i don't believe most humans will be around then, by and large- 22nd century life will resemble something out of mad max. life then won't be worth a plugged nickel. i'm glad i am not living then. :hmph:

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 1:36 am

^
HaHa
Our luck
They'll have a cure for old folks and we'll have to watch :lol:
That's Ok....they're makin bacon flavored everything these days

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 1:40 am

DaWalker wrote:
^
HaHa
Our luck
[A]They'll have a cure for old folks and we'll have to watch :lol:
[B]That's Ok....they're makin bacon flavored everything these days

your juxtaposition of [A] and [B] makes me think you're talkin' about old people porkin' one another. ;)

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 1:48 am

well...
that does compute
and if I do my math right
I will eventually get that down to a science
That being said, one could only hope for such a technology.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 1:52 am

bacon-flavored sex robots?

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:10 am

OK
Sure
I'll try it
but you go first :lol:

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:11 am

Probably some of those higher tech Star Trek stuff (teletransportation, virtual reality rooms, intergalactic space flights) will come to fruition. I know time travel will be an impossibility because we would've met someone from the future already.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:13 am

hell, i'd take an asparagus-flavored sex robot if only such a thing were available at all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:15 am

i suspect time travellers are permitted to occupy a dimension just slightly off from our own, just enough to render them invisible to our human senses, but that some sensitive animals might sense them and be perturbed. so if you ever see a dog barking at a blank spot in the middle of the room, beware- somebody, some spectre, might be watching you.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 4:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
hell, i'd take an asparagus-flavored sex robot if only such a thing were available at all.

The Japanese certainly have 'em... although I imagine they taste more like latex and giggle like schoolgirls. :?

That said, my predictions of the future are pretty grim... something along the lines of "The Road".

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 8:02 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Probably some of those higher tech Star Trek stuff (teletransportation, virtual reality rooms, intergalactic space flights) will come to fruition. I know time travel will be an impossibility because we would've met someone from the future already.

Star Trek "transporters" are probably impossible in my opinion. They're based on a principle that any magical feat is theoretically possible with advanced enough technology.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 8:35 am

If we survive the 21st centurey then it will be smooth sailing.

Thats a big if.

As the OP said-the population explosion will go into reverse because couples will have less than two kids on average.

Everyone will have huge amounts of property inherited from more numerous previous generations.

Most raw materials will be recycled from the abanoned large cities. What little new mineral rescources will come from strip minining asteroids in outer space because of a world wide commitment to eliminate all near-earth asteroids. The idea will be to eliminate the danger posed by NEA's by forcing the mining industry to go into space and dismantle and consume all NEA's for the mineral ores that NEA's are composed of.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 9:00 am

Venger wrote:
Star Trek "transporters" are probably impossible in my opinion. They're based on a principle that any magical feat is theoretically possible with advanced enough technology.

Sure about that?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40OVAJFbAs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQRQyxvz-VA[/youtube]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 9:11 am

quantum states can be "teleported" in certain restricted circumstances. That does not mean your total state can be scanned and transmitted and used for material reconstruction. In fact, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle militates against this.

Matter transporters are unlikely.

ruveyn