Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

whydoyouask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 11:07 am

What is your stance on this mental illness. Do you think there all cold blooded killers and don't care about anything? Or people who just have a hard time understanding morals and have lack of empathy and sometimes emotion?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 11:16 am

Both is a bit true.
But I don't think that most of them suffer that they don't understand morals and that they are coldblooded, but most are not killers and live a normal life.

Runedk
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2012, 11:50 am

I don't believe sociopathy/psychopathy is a mental illness. A man once said to me that psychopathy is the opposite of autism. Since then I have been dividing people into three groups: Autistics, Neuro-Typicals and Psychopaths.

They do indeed not have an understanding of morals and lack sympathy. They can empathize, but not sympathize. That is how they can skillfully manipulate others; they understand to some extend, but dont care about your wellbeing at all. So once you cross them in any way, you will be the target of their wrath. As I have been stalked for more than 7 years I learned this the hard way.

from wikipedias site on empathy:

Empathy is the capacity to recognize feelings that are being experienced by another sentient or semi-sentient being.
Empathy is distinct from sympathy, pity, and emotional contagion. Sympathy or empathic concern is the feeling of compassion or concern for another, the wish to see them better off or happier. Pity is feeling that another is in trouble and in need of help as they cannot fix their problems themselves, often described as "feeling sorry" for someone. Emotional contagion is when a person (especially an infant or a member of a mob) imitatively "catches" the emotions that others are showing without necessarily recognizing this is happening.

As a side note it is my understanding that both sociopathy and psychopathy are outdated words no longer used my mental health professionals. One of the terms used is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Others are anti-social, histronic and borderline.

whydoyouask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 11:57 am

Runedk wrote:
I don't believe sociopathy/psychopathy is a mental illness. A man once said to me that psychopathy is the opposite of autism. Since then I have been dividing people into three groups: Autistics, Neuro-Typicals and Psychopaths.

They do indeed not have an understanding of morals and lack sympathy. They can empathize, but not sympathize. That is how they can skillfully manipulate others; they understand to some extend, but dont care about your wellbeing at all. So once you cross them in any way, you will be the target of their wrath. As I have been stalked for more than 7 years I learned this the hard way.

from wikipedias site on empathy:

Empathy is the capacity to recognize feelings that are being experienced by another sentient or semi-sentient being.
Empathy is distinct from sympathy, pity, and emotional contagion. Sympathy or empathic concern is the feeling of compassion or concern for another, the wish to see them better off or happier. Pity is feeling that another is in trouble and in need of help as they cannot fix their problems themselves, often described as "feeling sorry" for someone. Emotional contagion is when a person (especially an infant or a member of a mob) imitatively "catches" the emotions that others are showing without necessarily recognizing this is happening.

As a side note it is my understanding that both sociopathy and psychopathy are outdated words no longer used my mental health professionals. One of the terms used is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Others are anti-social, histronic and borderline.

They are the people of nightmares and horror films, but thankfully they are relatively rare in real life. These sociopaths are at the extreme end of the spectrum of sociopathic disorders; on one end, we find the sick and twisted, but on the other we find people who appear mostly normal, and are often quite successful.

Sociopaths vary. Some of them can be cold hearted people who mess with people all the time. But some of them can be different such as only exsperinceing lack of empathy and emotion. Mild socipaths from what I've read have some emotion. Also some of them can be productive members of society as most of them don't feel fear, making them perfect police officers and more. Also they may come to "understand" messing with people is considered a bad thing by society.

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2012, 11:59 am

Psychopaths are the ones that are cruel.

The narcissistic guy I know revels in peoples mistakes and basically thinks he deserves what he gets from your "f**k up" whether it be from naivety, stupidity, or just a small blunder. So its not that he doesn't like people, it is just that he does not care enough to reciprocate appropriately. He does not care to edit his remarks to achieve some laughs at your expense either.

whydoyouask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 12:03 pm

Mego wrote:
Psychopaths are the ones that are cruel.

Agreed. :)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

Most people in prison are sociopaths even the non-violent offenders.

whydoyouask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm

Venger wrote:
Most people in prison are sociopaths even the non-violent offenders.

No!

Psychopaths make up 1% of the general population, but 25% of the prison population, according to Dr. Hare.

These are official quotes from a real article about sociopaths. If a sociopath ever goes to prison and if they do the ones who go the prison are the extreme ones! Also they go to prison as sociopaths because they don't get proper treatment!

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 1:15 pm

Sociopaths usually appear normal because they're fake, and they don't say what they're really thinking most of the time. Therefore, the majority of them probably aren't recognized or diagnosed with ASPD.

whydoyouask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

Venger wrote:
Sociopaths usually appear normal because they're fake, and they don't say what they're really thinking most of the time. Therefore, the majority of them probably aren't recognized or diagnosed with ASPD.

But for a reason they fake. I would think a sociopath would most likely seek more helpmif today's general media didnt show all as cold blooded killers and extreme liars. Also if you says they all dont tell because they all mess with peoples heads that would be wrong. As I said before sociopaths which stalk and try to mess up your life badly are suprisngly rare.

Runedk
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2012, 2:09 pm

stalking is not rare.
Taken from a Yale study:
1.4 million people are stalked every year in the United States.
1 in 12 women will be stalked at some point in her lifetime.
1 in 45 men will be stalked at some point in his lifetime.

Runedk
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2012, 2:13 pm

from about dot com - cannot link as I have less than five posts on WP, but google 'stalking statistics':
An estimated 3.4 million people were reported victims of stalking during a 12-month period in 2005 and 2006, announced the U.S. Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Statistics.
About half of these victims experienced at least one unwanted contact per week from the stalker and 11 percent had been stalked for five or more years.

whydoyouask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 2:14 pm

Runedk wrote:
stalking is not rare.
Taken from a Yale study:
1.4 million people are stalked every year in the United States.
1 in 12 women will be stalked at some point in her lifetime.
1 in 45 men will be stalked at some point in his lifetime.

Agreed when that sociopath stalked you it just wasn't because he was a sociopath. As this study shows a lot of people do it! Strange...

Who knows that guy who stalked you vengar could of just been one of these people in this test. Also he could of also been just a bad guy? Just really messed up.

Thanks for the support runedk

Runedk
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2012, 2:48 pm

yes, he is 'really messed up'. He finds satisfaction in stalking me, but there is a need to hurt me which can be compared to the need of one with a drug abuse; when he hurts me he gets this satisfaction, but it is a satisfaction he will soon feel the need to fulfill again and he will be marked by it if that does not happen. Perhaps he even needs a greater deal of pleasure from hurting me after having hurt me several times. The same dose will perhaps not be enough.

The problem for my stalker is that his stalking started the process I have gone through over the past 6-7 years which lead to me realising i'm an aspie and also realising what everything around stalking really means..

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger as they say... and I sure have grown stronger over these past years... but then there is
this statistic from the above mentioned Yale study to think of:

76 percent of women killed by their intimate partners were stalked by these partners before they were killed.

Based on that my claim is that those who can stalk can also kill.

whydoyouask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 2:54 pm

Runedk wrote:
yes, he is 'really messed up'. He finds satisfaction in stalking me, but there is a need to hurt me which can be compared to the need of one with a drug abuse; when he hurts me he gets this satisfaction, but it is a satisfaction he will soon feel the need to fulfill again and he will be marked by it if that does not happen. Perhaps he even needs a greater deal of pleasure from hurting me after having hurt me several times. The same dose will perhaps not be enough.

The problem for my stalker is that his stalking started the process I have gone through over the past 6-7 years which lead to me realising i'm an aspie and also realising what everything around stalking really means..

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger as they say... and I sure have grown stronger over these past years... but then there is
this statistic from the above mentioned Yale study to think of:

76 percent of women killed by their intimate partners were stalked by these partners before they were killed.

Based on that my claim is that those who can stalk can also kill.

I agree. That person was most likely just a plain old criminal. A little off topic.. Have you called the police about this? I really hope you do. I hope you keep safe :cry: poor you.

Runedk
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2012, 4:22 pm

"That person was most likely just a plain old criminal."

No, he is a well-educated man doing well for himself financially.. I believe.. but beyond the education part its speculation..

He has been to jail for a violent crime, but it was impulsive violence because of another man hitting him first. He retaliated brutally enough to land what I believe was a one month behind bars sentence. You don't get that for a little slapping, you really need to inflict serious harm to land such a sentence for impulsive retaliation in my country.

I have handed the matter over to the police some years ago when he ordered a load of stuff in my name and thus tried to have me pay for it.. as this is fraud I could finally get the police involved... (most of what he is doing is going on behind my back, turning others against me) claims against me was at first around $1600 but later increased 300 extra. But since I could easily fight these claims by saying I did not order any of it, the police showed no interest in the matter despite me trying to tell them other things were going on.. over the following couple of years a lot has happened. He has done a lot more and I have become better at dealing with it, so I still believe they will take me seriously one day - now that I am better at describing what he has been up to. Lets see.

Thank you. I would of course prefer to keep safe, but when you have had such violations occur over so many years keeping safe is secondary to fighting for your rights. And that is what I will continue to do, even if this means him escalating his activities, perhaps into violence. He has already threatened me with serious bodily harm (the words 'legs' and 'crowbar' were used). Currently writing an article about the whole thing and when I am ready to release that I'll do what I can to get the media interested in the case.

It gives me some form of comfort that he knows that the police has already received a complaint from me with his name in it. So they know where to go if anything happens to me.

I still hope for him to stop, but after seven years.... that hope is all but gone.

Luckily I have - despite his stupidities - managed to live a little, have fun with my friends, get a part time job and become active in the local asperger association. So it's not like he has ruined my life, though that is his desire.

Worst of it all. He is stalking me because of something I said to him. I told him I felt he treated others as if we're there for his sake, for his entertainment. I was drunk when I said it and yes, I should not have said it. But it was said out of a concern as I recognized his behavior as harmful to his relationships with others. He apparently misunderstood me and because of this misunderstanding he has now wasted more than seven years of his life on me. It's really sad.