Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 1:05 pm

It can be hard here to acquire firearms legally if you have certain mental conditions. I do tend to agree people with serious illness should not own guns.

I own a few. I actually know someone in a gun group who's daughter has AS and target shooting has helped her learn social skills and avoid meltdowns and quality father/daughter time.

Unfortunately there are plenty of doctors in America who would rather take her guns and let her melt down than accept the guns have done good for her.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 4:07 pm

I am a registered gun owner and I enjoy target practice. Otherwise the magazine is removed where the pistol and magazine is kept in it's little blue box.

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2012, 1:15 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
kraven wrote:
I'm in.
I have a number of firearms. No sweat.
Been using them since I was a kid, and I actively train and maintain them. They're not an "in case of attack" button I ignore until I need them.

They're tools. Fun, cool, and interesting little tools.

That also provide interesting sensory input... 8O

Yeah, they do. I have to be very fastidious about my hearing protection.
But, being so mechanical, and having a visually oriented brain, guns are really a treat for me.
I even reload my own rounds, something the ocd people in here would really enjoy. It's very precise and takes a great deal of attention.
I also practice archery, because it's so quiet and I get a different kind of input from it.

I own a few, but not a bunker full, to be honest.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

kraven wrote:
CyborgUprising wrote:
kraven wrote:
I'm in.
I have a number of firearms. No sweat.
Been using them since I was a kid, and I actively train and maintain them. They're not an "in case of attack" button I ignore until I need them.

They're tools. Fun, cool, and interesting little tools.

That also provide interesting sensory input... 8O

Yeah, they do. I have to be very fastidious about my hearing protection.
But, being so mechanical, and having a visually oriented brain, guns are really a treat for me.
I even reload my own rounds, something the ocd people in here would really enjoy. It's very precise and takes a great deal of attention.
I also practice archery, because it's so quiet and I get a different kind of input from it.

I own a few, but not a bunker full, to be honest.

I absolutely enjoy the loudness and the tactile aspects as well. I'm also very particular about people handling my guns/ammunition... I think that has more to do with an inside knowledge about how some people don't wash their hands as much as they should. 8O

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 4:26 pm

I have always wanted to own a Kalashnikov and hope to do so one day. The odd thing is that I really have no interest in shooting it (but I probably would do it just once so I could see it work.) I just want it as a combination of a technical sample and a piece of history. I'd also like to own a Mosin Nagant and an SKS, so that I could have all the main service rifles of the Soviet Union. I like the fact that they were not made as high precision devices but just worked anyways. If society ever collapsed, it is likely that you could still figure out how to make parts to fix a broken AK. They are crude enough and run loose enough tolerances that you don't have to be perfect with the part you make. However, I don't see this as being anywhere near as simple for an American weapon made with more exotic materials, like the AR.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:56 pm

outofplace wrote:
I have always wanted to own a Kalashnikov and hope to do so one day. The odd thing is that I really have no interest in shooting it (but I probably would do it just once so I could see it work.) I just want it as a combination of a technical sample and a piece of history. I'd also like to own a Mosin Nagant and an SKS, so that I could have all the main service rifles of the Soviet Union. I like the fact that they were not made as high precision devices but just worked anyways. If society ever collapsed, it is likely that you could still figure out how to make parts to fix a broken AK. They are crude enough and run loose enough tolerances that you don't have to be perfect with the part you make. However, I don't see this as being anywhere near as simple for an American weapon made with more exotic materials, like the AR.

I have an AK-47 that is for display only (it functions, but it's in such nice condition I can't bring myself to scratch up the wood accents). The AK-47 I do use has one of those hideous folding stocks and the wood is already dinged up (it was handed down from my grandfather). One can also purchase machine guns (I mean machine guns as in the M2, 1919A4, Vickers Mark 1, etc.) for display without any issues (obviously it's much more difficult to own a functioning one-and more expensive as well)... Hopefully you find luck in procuring your firearms.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Jul 2012, 7:39 pm

I own several guns. i live in Arizona, so as long as I have the cash to pay for them, I can get.

MrPickles
Raven
Raven

16 Aug 2012, 1:28 pm

I have several guns - never had problems buying any - but then again I purchased all of them before my diagnosis - this may point out a really great reason for ditching the diagnosis unless absolutely necessary. (If the government is going to use a diagnosis as an excuse to remove our civil rights we should think long and hard before going in for a diagnosis).

Found on http://jacobbarnett.org/ -- If you are suffering from Autism - you're doing it wrong!

Samual
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2012, 1:44 pm

I've always been interested in the Medusa 47 revolver., apparently it can be loaded with a variety of caliber bullets. Does anyone know muhc about this it?

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2012, 4:36 pm

I have a gun, a Marlin .22 Caliber Rifle. It's not registered in my name, it's in my dad's name, because I am not old enough to have a gun registered in my name. When I turn 18, my dad plans to sign it over to me. As long as I don't disclose the fact that I have aspergers, I will not be prohibited from owning a gun by the government. Since the language on the paperwork is probably something along the lines of "Do you have any mental conditions that may make you unsafe to have a gun." Instead of "Please write all mental conditions you have been diagnosed with on the line below" There should be no issue in not disclosing aspergers.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 10:53 pm

MrPickles wrote:
I have several guns - never had problems buying any - but then again I purchased all of them before my diagnosis - this may point out a really great reason for ditching the diagnosis unless absolutely necessary. (If the government is going to use a diagnosis as an excuse to remove our civil rights we should think long and hard before going in for a diagnosis).

Agreed. It's one of the things that makes me think twice about seeking help for my mental health issues.

Mike_Garrick
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2012, 1:25 am

One of the few things my dad did right was taking me shooting. "only all of 2 times but still"
He had a small revolver and larger, I want to say semi auto hand gun, it shot two shots if I didn't release the trigger right away.
He put a bad round into the revolver and it jammed the 2nd time we went. he had to give it to a gunsmith who had to do a lot of work to get it out without harming the gun. I think he blamed me since we never went again."even though he did all the loading"

That aside, I've never been any more frightened by guns then I would be of a knife.
I have however read enough to be safe around them, though I've never needed to be.
I think a lot of gun accidents happen because parents hide their guns away and refuse to teach their children what a gun can do.
When you pull the trigger, something is going to get shot and if its alive it wont be getting back up.
Movies and games don't show that and parents refuse to teach their children.

I've always wanted to own a gun, however never been able to afford one.
When I realized I couldn't hold a job I got a diagnoses of depression, just so I could get disability.
Unfortunately that diagnoses will most likely make it impossible for me to buy a gun in the future.

My personal opinion on guns are that anyone who wants to own one should be allowed to.
And that everyone should be able to carry one after getting a license, just like a car.
The obvious exceptions being people with a history of violence, criminals and mental disabilities that effect their safety.
Pretty much anyone you wouldn't let behind a car in fear they may start playing GTA IRL.

The one thing I do agree with anti gun lobbyists and such is that no one needs a functional assault rifle/ak-47/uzi.
I can't see why anyone would need a functional version unless they intended to shoot it.

EDIT: Ignorant is as Ignorant does.
Change that to seeing no reason for people to own machine guns.
I was unaware that civilian models of ARs and AKs aren't fullauto capable.

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2012, 11:23 pm

One of the most correct sayings to come from the founders was this from George Washington:

"An armed society is a polite society".

I have worked as an instructor, and as a volunteer hunter ed instructor (and yet, it's draining, and a course in public speaking years before really saved my ass), and I must say that in the "gun world", if you has AS, you are not likely to be treated like crap.

I would say that the world of guns, gun stores, clubs, ranges, etc, is so opposite the school yard where I got picked on it's remarkable to even think about it. Just think of all the NT crap that is reality to a lot of people, and that does not exist where everybody is armed.

Nowhere else in my life was I treated with more respect than in the world of guns, with people who have them and in environments awash with them.

Even lacking an inclination to kill, everybody knows this deep dark secret: you can drive anybody to kill you if you treat them horribly enough. The stereotype is that people with guns will shoot you for "snoring too loud" or looking at them funny. But from what kind of people do such ideas come from? Could it be the very people who gleefully tormented someone for being different? Guilt? Fear?

Now, are there some knucklheads and is there some level of pecking order? Sort of. People who run gun clubs tend to get into this sort of thing, being club board members, president, etc. I have seen it. But I was a match director for one of the shooting competitions there and did not have to get involved with that political stuff so long as the safety record was good.

If you has AS and want a social life, or at least part of one (seldom would it extend beyond the gun range, most of the people you deal with have their own lives, family, etc) you can join a club and paricipate in the events, or at best, get on the teams that run them. They are ALWAYS short handed (because you see, the NT guys just want to shave their heads and dress like MMA fighters and act tough, not actually do anything that takes skill) and even the state-run hunter ed system is hurting for volunteers. You will be in situations you might not like, like public speaking, but if you can get past that, you will be rewarded.

I must admit though that if you are prone to violent meltdowns of the sort where cops have to come take you away, this would not be a good idea. The state would have it that anybody who is not a sqeaky clean saint should not have guns, so of course they would use anything outside of NT and any past incidence to deny rights - but some people do have issues. Know yourself.

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2012, 2:17 am

Used to own
10/22 Ruger
222 Sako bolt
22 Krico bolt
Lithow 22 single shot
30/30 Winchester commemerative
Ruger mk2
S&W 2206

The 10/22 was my fave, the perfect bunny gun.
Family commitments and strict laws in Australia meant I had to sell them all.

You are very likely an Aspie

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 12:50 pm

outofplace wrote:

In that case you should read about Mr. Kalashnikov some time. His story is rather sad. He didn't get to keep the patent for his gun and thus become wealthy like Mr. Colt. I believe he was asked about the rifle and said something along the lines of "I wish I had invented a lawnmower instead."

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 4:49 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
In that case you should read about Mr. Kalashnikov some time. His story is rather sad. He didn't get to keep the patent for his gun and thus become wealthy like Mr. Colt. I believe he was asked about the rifle and said something along the lines of "I wish I had invented a lawnmower instead."

I don't think that's exactly right. He designed the AK after being wounded in WWII, and broadly based his concept on the German StG44 that he had encountered in combat. He viewed it as a patriotic duty, to provide his countrymen with the best weapon available to them. I've seen the Kalashnikov lawnmower, I believe his actual comment was that it was the invention he was most proud of.

IIRC, Eugene Stoner, who designed the M16 didn't make a lot of money off of it either. Stoner and Kalashnikov did meet at one point before Stoner died, I'd have been curious to hear that conversation.