Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do you play an instrument?
Yes - in fact I play at least one or more instruments every single day. 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Yes - I play one or more instruments several times a week. 24%  24%  [ 18 ]
Yes - I play at one or more instruments occasionally (less than every week). 41%  41%  [ 31 ]
I do not play any musical instruments. 17%  17%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 76

mmonroe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jul 2012, 10:36 pm

Thanks, Atomsk and Ghostloki....I really appreciate your suggestions. I will start incorporating them into my practices, so it will seem more natural at the next gig. It helps just knowing that others understand what I'm going through.

I do have to share something funny from our last gig. I found myself looking at the pub's t.v. and started relaxing when I saw commercials with animals. Then I noticed a science show starting and I realized that I had to be careful not to disappear completely into the show (it's one of my special interests to get lost in just about any science show). It was pretty funny!

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions.

ComposerGal1928

13 Jul 2012, 10:45 pm

1. Clarinet (Bb and Bass) - 8 years. This was the first instrument I learned to play back in sixth grade. I even switched between these two when I was in the pit for my school's production of Phantom of the Opera.
2. Guitar - 5 years. Self-taught, and one of the two instruments I use to write my music.

I also play a little bit of piano, which I'm still learning a little bit about every day. This is another one of the instruments I am self-teaching and use to write my music.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 10:59 pm

I used to play the trombone when I was middle-school age, but I didn't feel I had talent to play any musical instrument. I was professionally taught, though.

Now I blow my harmonica now and then, it's not that I'm good at it I only do it for my pleasure, hoping that it doesn't bother the neighbors too much...

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 12:33 am

I play collect and make flutes. I'd say I have over 40 at this point. I also play bass, piano, and a little ukulele, but I'm best on the flute.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 2:12 am

I play the Ressikan flute. It's basically a glorified penny whistle that originated on Star Trek; The Next Generation. Captain Picard got his from a thousand year-old planet called Katan, in a city called Ressik (hence the instrument's name) that he visited in his mind (the episode is more complicated than that, but too much so to go into detail. If you want to watch it, the episode is called "The Inner Light"). I obviously did not get mine from Katan... let's just say ebay is a wonderful thing. I don't practise as much as I'd like, but I'm not bad at the songs I know. This is one area where Asperger's comes in handy; I have an excellent auditory memory and can teach myself to play them by ear. It's tricky to get above a high D, as the instrument is smaller than a piccolo and gets painfully shrill when played too high, but I've found it very easy to learn, and I enjoy it far more than I ever did my trumpet when I was in middle school!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Shroomy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2012, 8:35 am

I play the piano but I used to play it excessively when I went through a classical music and composers obsession. I actually have kind of problem with my joints so I don't play it as much anymore. I still love classical music though, especially Rachmaninoff. :wink:

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:48 am

I sing pretty much everyday but not lyrics etc, usually instrument parts or just improvise along to music. And i "drum" in a way, each day. Have almost given up with serious musicianship for the moment though.. Long story

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:00 am

I've tried to learn the guitar in the past, but I've not got the patience (or the natural ability). I seem to do better with instruments that involve just rhythm and timing, like the keyboard which I like playing :)

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2012, 10:14 am

I play the violin, can strum chords on the guitar, and sing. Been a while but I used to go to bluegrass/old time jams, was on the high school orchestra, sang on one church choir, and led another church choir.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2012, 10:35 am

Taught myself basic guitar, been playing for around 2 years now. Want to get a tutor now to further my knowledge and learn how to play lead better.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I play the Ressikan flute. It's basically a glorified penny whistle that originated on Star Trek; The Next Generation. Captain Picard got his from a thousand year-old planet called Katan, in a city called Ressik (hence the instrument's name) that he visited in his mind (the episode is more complicated than that, but too much so to go into detail. If you want to watch it, the episode is called "The Inner Light"). I obviously did not get mine from Katan... let's just say ebay is a wonderful thing. I don't practise as much as I'd like, but I'm not bad at the songs I know. This is one area where Asperger's comes in handy; I have an excellent auditory memory and can teach myself to play them by ear. It's tricky to get above a high D, as the instrument is smaller than a piccolo and gets painfully shrill when played too high, but I've found it very easy to learn, and I enjoy it far more than I ever did my trumpet when I was in middle school!

I remember the episode - I've seen all episodes of all the Star Trek series, and that one is one of my favorite TNG episodes. I had no idea people made replicas! Have you learned the tune from the episode, that Picard plays?

Erminetheawkward
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2012, 4:33 pm

I play the cello, electric and acoustic guitar, and piano. I can also kind of play bass (played around with my brother's string bass, and friends' electric basses) and organ.

If I could, I would definitely practice all of them every day. But I just don't have the time between my art interest, school, and work. I mostly focus on cello at the moment since I picked it up most recently. There's a certain point with instruments where you can stop practicing all the time and retain most of your skills. I'm definitely not there with the cello. If I stop practicing for even a couple days, I lose a lot of ground.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 5:10 pm

I'm terrible at everything, but I play Piano, Guitar, Violin, and Recorder.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

amongtheweeds
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jul 2012, 3:01 am

I play french horn, and I'm going to conservatory next year for music performance. :)

faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2012, 4:02 am

I studied piano for several years, and then switched to violin while in high school. I don't take lessons anymore due to time/budget but I still play it regularly. I am not very good but I love it.
I also play my brother's guitars (acoustic and electric) when I'm at my parents' place (plus the piano). I'd try all the instruments if I could - it's too much fun.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:16 am

faerie_queene87 wrote:
I studied piano for several years, and then switched to violin while in high school. I don't take lessons anymore due to time/budget but I still play it regularly. I am not very good but I love it.
I also play my brother's guitars (acoustic and electric) when I'm at my parents' place (plus the piano). I'd try all the instruments if I could - it's too much fun.

I myself find it extremely fun to try out new instruments. Last month I got to try out a theremin and a waterphone in the same day...