Are you mature for your age, or are you immature?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KillerWaffles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2012, 7:50 am

Are your friends older or younger than you?

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 7:54 am

I am very immature and naive for someone my age but my few friends tend to be older.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 7:56 am

I've been told by different people that I act younger than my age and older than my age.

The few friends I've had were usually older than me.

NicoleR
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2012, 8:00 am

I'm older than my friends but just by a matter of months. I'm very mature in some ways, I don't do many stupid or dangerous things but I still watch cartoons, don't look when people kiss on tv etc.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 9:24 am

Are you mature for your age, or are you immature?

I would say, similar to House MD, but with a lot more control and a bit more playfulness depending upon who i am around.

The internet allows for so much freedom, as they say, and inhibitions behind anonymity are broken down.

TheSunAlsoRises

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 9:46 am

Mature of course, always have been. :nerdy:

Seriously, it depends on how you define mature. I don't do dangerous things very often, that's for sure. I try to take reasonable risks and probably err on the safe side. I don't see it as a sign of immaturity to take pleasure in entertainment and silly activities that are meant for children. It would be immature to expect to do that all the time. Sense of responsibility.........yes, as long as I've agreed to a duty and know how to discharge it, it would be hard to stop me.

To me, it's one of the good things about being an Aspie - it's still possible to be very childlike, yet we also have the intelligence to work out how and where to apply self-control. Most people are just 20 or 30 or 60 or 90, but we are both young and old, for the whole of our lives.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 9:53 am

KillerWaffles wrote:

Both

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 10:09 am

KillerWaffles wrote:

I used to have a range and was proud of not noticing age, but these days I tend to prefer older people because they're usually more mature. I'd give anybody a chance whatever their age, and there are some notable exceptions, but I see and hear a lot of young students, and they mostly seem to look and act like idiots. Even people in their 40s, I've been amazed at how naive and puerile some of them can be. Especially about relationships.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 10:17 am

It depends on the circumstance with me. If I walk past a childrens playground I yearn to have a go on the various apparatus, especially the really cool looking stuff that they have in the new playgrounds.

However, at the age of 42 I know I'll look like an idiot or a weirdo, or maybe like a character from the film Stepbrothers, whom I can identify with. I like that film.

I can be quite mature though. Honest.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 10:19 am

I'm kind of both.

In terms of friends, for a long time my friends have always either been adults or much younger kids. Now, as an adult myself, many of my friends are either teenagers or older adults.

In maturity, a lot of what gets called 'immature' teenage behavior is stuff I've never shown at any age - impulsive risk taking, caring more about my peers' opinions than my parents, wanting to rebel from my parents, etc. So in that sense, I'm unusually mature. I've also been called 'wise' because I think deeply about things and see perspectives other than just my own. I also think about psychology more like a graduate student than an undergraduate student (psychology is my major).

On the other hand, I'm 23 and I still live at home, enjoy playing pretend, have mild separation anxiety and sometimes my 15 year old brother seems more competent at practical living tasks than I am.

But what do you expect from a gifted/disabled person? My skills are all over the place, it's no wonder my apparent 'maturity' is as well.

KillerWaffles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2012, 11:31 am

MirrorWars wrote:
It depends on the circumstance with me. If I walk past a childrens playground I yearn to have a go on the various apparatus, especially the really cool looking stuff that they have in the new playgrounds.

However, at the age of 42 I know I'll look like an idiot or a weirdo, or maybe like a character from the film Stepbrothers, whom I can identify with. I like that film.

I can be quite mature though. Honest.

I'm a teenager, but physically people mistake me for older. Anyhow I still go to the park to play on the swingset, and I always wait until it's empty. If I go when it's crowded people give me funny looks. :D

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 11:33 am

<--- Immature me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 11:40 am

Mature in some ways, immature in other ways. I can be a very sensible person with certain things, but with other things I am very immature, for example like the way I deal with emotions I deal with them like a toddler would: thinking screaming and crying will solve the problem.

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2012, 11:40 am

Physically look and act younger, but mentally much more mature than most older people around me.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 11:48 am

I have always been (and always will be) a complex mixture of being both very mature and very immature compared to my peers. I have always been more mature in my morals and my views on life. For instance, I have never understood why NTs' conception of "fun" is usually something risky and dangerous to their health, like drinking and driving. In that realm, most NTs probably think of me as "boring" or a "stick in the mud." As for immaturity, this is more with my interests and sense of humor. I'm almost 25, and I still watch Nickelodeon every day. I just never "outgrew" cartoons or TV shows I liked as a child. I also am very immature for my age when it comes to my inability to regulate my emotions.

Nash: Is there a difference?

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 12:01 pm

I'm a mix of both. My close friends are all within 5 years of my age but my oldest friend is in his 60's and the youngest in his early 20's. I did stop watching cartoons a few years back, but that was because I no longer had cable and when I got it back I had lost interest. I can take care of my own needs fairly well but I can't get a date to save my life (mostly because I am terrified to try.) I am still a virgin at 38 and don't see that ever changing, if for no other reason than I am religious and not interested in doing so until I am married.

Last edited by outofplace on 12 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.