Can anyone explain why I do these things?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 1:33 pm

1. I can't seem to keep my own room tidy even though I hate mess. Also, I like eating good food but I hardly ever cook etc. I don't know if that has to do with me having problems with procrastination (I find it very difficult to start projects/things I have to do) or if I'm just lazy or something.

2. I keep (almost compulsively) telling my parents that I love them because if I don't I feel like maybe they get sad, which makes me a bit anxious. Telling them I love them makes that anxiety (or whatever it is) go away. It's not like I'm awfully anxious about it, but it bothers me sometimes.

3. Sometimes I ask people questions I already know the answers to. I might for example ask someone "it's Friday today, right?" when I already know it is.

4. Sometimes I get this weird feeling in my fingers and to get rid of it I need to touch things in a certain way. With a certain amount of pressure. Do you know what I mean? For example, to get rid of that weird feeling in my fingers I sometimes get the urge to right-click on my laptop touchpad with a certain amount of pressure. I usually do it a few times in a row which sort of annoys me because if I do it quickly I sometimes accidentally press "back" (which is the top option when I right-click) which means I sometimes press "back" in the middle of a youtube video or something.

5. I can get very upset by wrinkled socks or clothes in general. Some days it feels like my clothes (no matter what clothes I wear) are all wrong. They feel wrong against my skin which makes me very frustrated.

Why do I do these things? Can anyone relate to this?

Bio_Info_Seeker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jul 2012, 2:17 pm

Few theories. These are based on common psychology. They are not real scientific theories (e.g. biochemical). Do you prefer psychology or biochemistry when you are looking for the answers? (Don't take these as absolute truth.) And yes, these answers are not that deep.

Quote:
1. I can't seem to keep my own room tidy even though I hate mess. Also, I like eating good food but I hardly ever cook etc. I don't know if that has to do with me having problems with procrastination (I find it very difficult to start projects/things I have to do) or if I'm just lazy or something.

You see those things as ideal and you want to be a good person, but you find it hard to follow those ideals because deep down they are not your own ideals.

Quote:
2. I keep (almost compulsively) telling my parents that I love them because if I don't I feel like maybe they get sad, which makes me a bit anxious. Telling them I love them makes that anxiety (or whatever it is) go away. It's not like I'm awfully anxious about it, but it bothers me sometimes.

Separation anxiety and fear of being alone (or that your parents would leave you).

Quote:
3. Sometimes I ask people questions I already know the answers to. I might for example ask someone "it's Friday today, right?" when I already know it is.

You could be unsure if the reality is real. Or simply anxiety that's created by an obsession of having complete control? I can relate to this.

Quote:
4. Sometimes I get this weird feeling in my fingers and to get rid of it I need to touch things in a certain way. With a certain amount of pressure. Do you know what I mean? For example, to get rid of that weird feeling in my fingers I sometimes get the urge to right-click on my laptop touchpad with a certain amount of pressure. I usually do it a few times in a row which sort of annoys me because if I do it quickly I sometimes accidentally press "back" (which is the top option when I right-click) which means I sometimes press "back" in the middle of a youtube video or something.

An interesting question. Something to do with the sensory receptors or simply obessive-compulsive? I don't know what could cause that.

Quote:
5. I can get very upset by wrinkled socks or clothes in general. Some days it feels like my clothes (no matter what clothes I wear) are all wrong. They feel wrong against my skin which makes me very frustrated.

You are hypersensitive to physical contact by certain types of material. Very common. Happens to me all the time.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

Bio_Info_Seeker wrote:
You see those things as ideal and you want to be a good person, but you find it hard to follow those ideals because deep down they are not your own ideals.

Those are my own ideals though. I mean, I hate mess and I keep the rest of the house tidy. It's just my room's that's a bit messy. Also, my parents get quite annoyed because I keep putting things in a certain way. For example, if I see a magazine lying on the table and it's a bit tilted (or whatever it's called) I have to change it so it looks straight and centered. Do you know what I mean?

Bio_Info_Seeker wrote:
Separation anxiety and fear of being alone (or that your parents would leave you).

Maybe, but I never worry about my parents leaving me and I don't think that's why I tell them I love them all the time.

Thanks for the answers by the way!

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 12:44 pm

1) Blarg. Executive function problems on the rampage.

2) Do you worry that, because of your aspergers, you do not communicate the sentiment adequately without telling them regularly?

3) It sounds like a matter of pattern reinforcement. Many people with aspergers need to be very certain of a very set plan and pattern of reality. I have a similar habit. Whenever I am asked if I saw or heard something, I automatically say no just to make sure I didn't miss something and/or to know what specifically is being referred to.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 12:57 pm

Rebel_Nowe wrote:
2) Do you worry that, because of your aspergers, you do not communicate the sentiment adequately without telling them regularly?

First of all, I'm not sure I have Aspergers (waiting to get assessed). Second of all, that's an interesting question. Now that I think about it I think I might do it (at least sometimes) to compensate a bit for not always wanting to hug them when they want to hug me etc. I've always found it a bit annoying when my parents want to cuddle me. It's not like I don't love them (they always say they know I love them) and sometimes I want hugs, but most of the time I think it's annoying when they want to hug me or sit close to me when I'm watching a movie etc. Do you know what I mean?