Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 10:44 pm

I think the show's great, especially since an Aspie, Sheldon, is shown in a positive - if not exaggeratedly humorous - light.
That's even though the word Asperger's has never come up.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 4:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I think the show's great, especially since an Aspie, Sheldon, is shown in a positive - if not exaggeratedly humorous - light.

Someone recently, upon learning that he knows someone with Asperger's Syndrome, asked someone I know what I was like. He said, "kind of like Sheldon," and they liked that answer. And so did I because Sheldon is smart and successful and quirky and I thought that was a very positive comparison.

Someone else, upon learning that I have Asperger's, asked me (twice!!) "does that mean you're like that guy on Boston Legal?" Grrrr! No! I don't hold people hostage at knife point and throw muffins at people's heads and knock them out and walk around making a total arse of myself!

Much rather be compared to Sheldon.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 11:50 am

Sparrowrose wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Someone recently, upon learning that he knows someone with Asperger's Syndrome, asked someone I know what I was like. He said, "kind of like Sheldon," and they liked that answer. And so did I because Sheldon is smart and successful and quirky and I thought that was a very positive comparison.

Someone else, upon learning that I have Asperger's, asked me (twice!!) "does that mean you're like that guy on Boston Legal?" Grrrr! No! I don't hold people hostage at knife point and throw muffins at people's heads and knock them out and walk around making a total arse of myself!

Much rather be compared to Sheldon.

Agreed, absolutely. 8)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Duncan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2012, 5:59 pm

Many people see as a Sheldon but I relate more to Raj. I am have similar tastes and behaviour to him

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2012, 7:14 pm

Duncan wrote:
Many people see as a Sheldon but I relate more to Raj. I am have similar tastes and behaviour to him

I relate to Raj to a slight degree as I'm nervous in the presence of attractive women even my best friend :oops:

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2012, 12:44 am

Nymeria8 wrote:
One cannot love Sheldon without loving Amy Farah Fowler. Oh BBT how I love thee.

Amy is annoying.

That blond chic that was L's girlfriend-- not Penny-- is super annoying.

Sheldon is amusing.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 9:26 pm

Funniest sitcom I have ever seen probably (Simpsons and Futurama are hard to beat!)

I love Leonard's humor and how Sheldon works as a plot device so well. I don't see why people here take so much offense to him, I just think he's a hilarious sitcom character that isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

Amy is probably my second favorite...it's the idiosyncracies of Sheldon with a touch of Penny's goofiness, and it somehow wors marvelously!

Favorite moment is probably the ball pit or when Sheldon got a virtual presence device!

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Ascagne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

I liked the first seasons... Then it has become kind of repetitive and it has lost a part of the original spirit for me, I guess. I've watched the end of season 5 (I think) and it gets better. I'm not the only one thinking that, I've seen critics about the road the show has taken lately...
It's maybe the only show with laughter (but here they're in front of a real audience, am I right ?) that I like and that I can bear by the way. I think it would be better without the laughter, even though the writers would be forced to be more inventive maybe, because some jokes and some comic elements are really forced. (I liked very much Malcolm in the Middle, this explains that).
Sheldon is the best character, and Jim Parsons rules.
The geeky and nerdy elements of the show are my favorite part of it, with Sheldon. The relationships, hum, not very much :roll: except of course Sheldon and Amy. I mean, except that one, it's usual stuff with a nerd package or filter. Strange to say, what makes people laugh about Sheldon and this relationship is like a very exagerated version of the things I would consider normal for me. It's awkward sometimes when I watch the show. Sherlock excepted (from the British series), I can't easily find another character on TV or on a film that is simply not on relationships or in normal relationships, and that is not shown at the same time as utterly mad, crazy, useless or a loser. It's a bit annoying to see that it's in a sitcom that there is a thing that more or less grotesquely depict that...

aMuse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2012, 11:45 pm

Here comes the hate mail...

I loved the first four seasons, and even liked the first several into season five. But, part way in, it was like they found out that "the cool people" liked them, and began to act like... not themselves (and more like performing fools, as means to stay "
in" with those "cool people"). Predictable, typical sitcom stuff now. Sheldon now laughs, pokes fun in a *neurotypical* manner, tries to interact where he avoided it before, etc. Sure, Amy could be seen as the bulk of the reason he is behaving like a buffoon now, as can the rest of his "friends." But, it is soooo out of character, and there was no gradual buildup. Watch season three, then watch the last half of season five. Completely different Sheldon, and the "antics" and jokes all become VERY predictable and tired IMO.

I watch the reruns, and own the first three seasons on DVD. But, after season five, it is off my DVR list :cry:

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 8:32 am

I kinda agree with aMuse. I still enjoy new Big Bang Theory but it really peaked around season 3/early season 4...although I like Amy. She's crazy and fun.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2012, 2:23 pm

Sheldon and Amy are my two favorites. I love how in real life she has a PhD.
I got to briefly see Jim Parsons after his Harvey performance. He was so gracious to everyone, and I got his autograph on my playbill!
He's great on TV and film and great on Broadway too.

Also Penny is another one of my favorite characters.

Can't wait until the next season starts again.

Nerdyimperator

06 Aug 2012, 5:22 pm

My favourite characters are Raj and Shamy!

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2012, 8:12 pm

I also like Raj, he is a sweet fellow and astrophysicists are cool I like theoretical physicists more though but not by much.

havnoy

07 Aug 2012, 3:56 pm

Is selective mutism (Raj) A normal side diagnose on the spectrum, or are Raj NT? He seems NT to me, but the only Selective mutist i know has NLD, so i assumed that it was a connection, do anyone knows?

UmmYeahOk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2012, 8:39 pm

I was going to post up yet another Sheldon Cooper thread (I am aware that throughout the years there have been many) but I've decided to post a reply in here instead.

I was wondering if people here like being compared to Sheldon. I see a lot of myself in him, which bothers me a little, but at the same time, I think that's why I like him so much. But when other people start pointing out similarities I end up feeling awkward and ashamed.

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2012, 8:41 pm

I like being compared to Dr. Cooper, I also wish I was smart enough to be worthy of such comparisons.