Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

angelgarden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jul 2012, 1:42 am

Wreck-Gar wrote:
angelgarden wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
I am not good at figuring out what is ASD and what is a co-morbid, but obsession with numbers sounds like it could be under hyperlexia which is in the ASD family, (depending on who you ask.) Hyperlexia manifests in different ways but it involves obsession with letters, numbers, symbols and logos. The usual ASD social issues are involved and it often includes precocious reading, where fluency skill exceeds comprehension skill.

Exactly. So hard to know what is just ASD and what is co-morbid. Not to stress over it . . . but seems it will be more helpful to him to figure it out.
Interesting you mentioned hyperlexia. I thought it was only defined as children who start reading very young? He learned all of his alphabet by the time he was 2. However, he has been very slow to read (not focused or interested enough). However, from 12-18 months he recognized the logos of EVERY store--he could identify them verbally. And he--quite strangely--could identify ANY bank as a 'bank' verbally. We did not teach him that . . . we were just driving and every time he saw any bank (not just the one we bank at), he would say 'bank'. So, we started asking him, pointing to schools or stores and asking if they were banks, he'd always say 'no'. But the moment he saw ANY bank/bank logo, he would identify it as a bank. I would guess hyperlexia requires is always defined though by early reading, and that he has not done. Quite the opposite, it has been a bit of a struggle. But we were approaching it via phonics, whereas he just wants to memorize all the words.

My son is definitely hyperlexic. He knew the alphabet and could read before age 2. Around his fourth birthday he started to read single words. I think part of it is sight reading and the rest is reading phonetically. He leared this through watching Hooked on Phonics, the Electric Company, etc on Youtube.

From what I understand hyperlexia is generally recognized as the ability to read single words before age five and fascination with letters and numbers. Does this sound like your son at all?

A little perhaps. Definitely the numbers, logos, alphabet. He knew/recognized/knew sounds of the alphabet before age 2. He started reading 3-letter single words around 4 1/2. He is fascinated with picking out letters and number shapes everywhere, in everything. He could do some word sight reading by three years old, but just a few . . . he mostly preferred me to read everything. He would, on the other hand, memorize portions of books. He could quote verbatim a short chapter or poem by about age 3. Although he couldn't read it.
He could also tell the difference between people speaking English, German, Spanish, or Korean. He didn't speak the languages well, but he recognized the variations of them and knew right away what language was being spoken and could say 'that's German', etc.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 5:36 am

angelgarden wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:
angelgarden wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
I am not good at figuring out what is ASD and what is a co-morbid, but obsession with numbers sounds like it could be under hyperlexia which is in the ASD family, (depending on who you ask.) Hyperlexia manifests in different ways but it involves obsession with letters, numbers, symbols and logos. The usual ASD social issues are involved and it often includes precocious reading, where fluency skill exceeds comprehension skill.

Exactly. So hard to know what is just ASD and what is co-morbid. Not to stress over it . . . but seems it will be more helpful to him to figure it out.
Interesting you mentioned hyperlexia. I thought it was only defined as children who start reading very young? He learned all of his alphabet by the time he was 2. However, he has been very slow to read (not focused or interested enough). However, from 12-18 months he recognized the logos of EVERY store--he could identify them verbally. And he--quite strangely--could identify ANY bank as a 'bank' verbally. We did not teach him that . . . we were just driving and every time he saw any bank (not just the one we bank at), he would say 'bank'. So, we started asking him, pointing to schools or stores and asking if they were banks, he'd always say 'no'. But the moment he saw ANY bank/bank logo, he would identify it as a bank. I would guess hyperlexia requires is always defined though by early reading, and that he has not done. Quite the opposite, it has been a bit of a struggle. But we were approaching it via phonics, whereas he just wants to memorize all the words.

My son is definitely hyperlexic. He knew the alphabet and could read before age 2. Around his fourth birthday he started to read single words. I think part of it is sight reading and the rest is reading phonetically. He leared this through watching Hooked on Phonics, the Electric Company, etc on Youtube.

From what I understand hyperlexia is generally recognized as the ability to read single words before age five and fascination with letters and numbers. Does this sound like your son at all?

A little perhaps. Definitely the numbers, logos, alphabet. He knew/recognized/knew sounds of the alphabet before age 2. He started reading 3-letter single words around 4 1/2. He is fascinated with picking out letters and number shapes everywhere, in everything. He could do some word sight reading by three years old, but just a few . . . he mostly preferred me to read everything. He would, on the other hand, memorize portions of books. He could quote verbatim a short chapter or poem by about age 3. Although he couldn't read it.
He could also tell the difference between people speaking English, German, Spanish, or Korean. He didn't speak the languages well, but he recognized the variations of them and knew right away what language was being spoken and could say 'that's German', etc.

Is your son interested in Korean at all? When we were in Japan my son never really seemed interested in Japanese. He picked up some words at his day care but he was never as fascinated by the writing as he is with the abc's

angelgarden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2012, 9:42 am

He has been interested, but mostly in spoken form--only mildly in the written form. Oddly enough, in spite of his processing difficulties, he has been incredible in his process of learning to speak Korean at the local kindy. And though my Korean is not terrible, he has translated things for me. He seems fascinated by words and meaning. And yet, we are in speech therapy for some mild auditory processing and speech delays (which have nothing to do with being in two languages).
Curious--you said your son started reading at 2, but then you said he started reading single words on his 4th birthday?

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 3:17 pm

angelgarden wrote:
He has been interested, but mostly in spoken form--only mildly in the written form. Oddly enough, in spite of his processing difficulties, he has been incredible in his process of learning to speak Korean at the local kindy. And though my Korean is not terrible, he has translated things for me. He seems fascinated by words and meaning. And yet, we are in speech therapy for some mild auditory processing and speech delays (which have nothing to do with being in two languages).
Curious--you said your son started reading at 2, but then you said he started reading single words on his 4th birthday?

He knew the alphabet at two and started reading (and doing math) at 4. Not sure if your son would be considered hyperlexic...maybe borderline

You only speak English at home?