Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 7:19 am

I like 'cute'. I believe even more so than the average person. Perhaps this is the reason why I can tolerate babies and find little kids adorable, despite their annoying habbits...

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 8:47 am

"cute" is a cultural thing.

Proof ( from a synopsis of an episode of "Fairly Oddparents" ) :

Quote:
Timmy quickly wishes for a real alien monster to play with. In a flash of light, a green squid-like alien named Mark appears in front of them. Timmy compliments his fairies on how life-like it looks, to which they respond that they are not so good at creating aliens, so they borrowed a real one.
(...)
Vicky bursts into Timmy's room, shouting at the kids to keep it down. Timmy, Chester, and A.J. tremble in fear, but Mark is in awe of her ability to scare people. Her terrifying behavior is actually quite romantic to his kind.
(...)
The guard says that they must pass three perils before they can do so. The three perils are skipping across a flower field, hugging a teddy bear, and eating chocolate; all of which are horrifying and deadly acts to Yugopotamians

( source: http://fairlyoddparents.wikia.com/wiki/Spaced_Out )

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2012, 10:20 am

I guess I don't really know why I like cute things. When I see little kittens, they make me so happy because they are cute, but I don't really know why.

Shroomy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2012, 10:24 am

I love cute things and I find many things to be cute, even animals that would take a chunk out of me if I went near. Still cute to me cos they're animals. I love smiling faces and I think they're cute. I sometimes find myself staring at people who are smiling as they talk to their friends.

However I really hate those girls who try to act cute to manipulate others. I seem to be very good at detecting them for some weird reason, even when guys would turn a blind eye on their true colours and ignore my warnings. Maybe it's a woman thing.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

Instinct, I reckon. I have to wonder if your feeling that cute things are going to turn evil and your association of cute with violence has to do with some kind of bad experience in childhood. Maybe some scary movie you forgot seeing at a very young age or a mean animal you encountered, something like that. I have to think of that boy who was conditioned to fear fluffy white animals...

ETA: Or some sort of association similar to the one that makes me afraid of butterflies? I identify with everything, including insects, and they are so fragile and unpredictable I have to be afraid I will accidentally kill them, which is terrifying because I empathize with them.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 2:09 pm

Seeing cute makes me happy. That's it.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 2:19 pm

PokemonChampionIris wrote:
I need to know why people like cute things soo much, in this warped society...like, when you see innocence. Aren't you scared it'll just flip completely evil at any second? Doesn't this scare you?

Whats the POSSITIVE, likable things about 'cute'? Why do cute things seem to make people soo...happy?

Descuss

It's an evolutionary trait that was selected for because it protected babies/children.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 2:31 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
It's an evolutionary trait that was selected for because it protected babies/children.

I agree, and lets pretend big eyes is the only thing that makes them cute.

Actually, we don't have to pretend, it is mostly true:
Quote:
Scientists say that adults are evolutionarily programmed to find babies cute -- nature's way of ensuring that we care for them through sleepless nights and bouts of colic. But just what do we find so attractive? It's the eyes, mainly.
( source: http://www.parents.com/baby/care/newborn/newborn-guide/ )

Quote:
"the size of the eyeball at birth averages 16.5 mm in diameter (front to back measurement). In adults, the diameter is 24.2 mm." The maximum eye size is reached when a person is 7-8 years old.
( source: http://askville.amazon.com/eyes-human-b ... Id=3498711 )

..but wait, there is more. The head keeps growing longer. It is almost done at the age of 10 ( source: http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/wh ... op-growing ), and since the eyes look bigger on a smaller head, that means at the age of 10-11 years humans should be able to fight for themselves since they have lost their "cute defense system".

In Japan, they have eye-, instead of breast- surgery ( blepharoplasty ). Beauty, and cuteness is in the eye (pun intended) of the beholder.

LadybugS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2012, 3:40 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Exactly.

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough... God knows we're worth it"

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 3:46 pm

Also, she thinks its silly I accociate liking cuteness with supporting violence.

Why do I do that, anyways? Cute and violent...are polar opposets!
8O

Maybe you associate cuteness with violence because that is totally what pokemon is about? xd

Srsly, they put a lot of work into coming up with things of otherworldly cuteness just to make them fight each other.

RainbowStarlight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2012, 7:07 pm

Rebel_Nowe wrote:
Also, she thinks its silly I accociate liking cuteness with supporting violence.

Why do I do that, anyways? Cute and violent...are polar opposets!
8O

Maybe you associate cuteness with violence because that is totally what pokemon is about? xd

Srsly, they put a lot of work into coming up with things of otherworldly cuteness just to make them fight each other.

Not all Pokémon are cute. Usually the smaller are and the huge tough ones (the ones best suited for battle) are not. Just look at Scyther, Charizard, Groudon... Besides, Pokémon battles aren't even violent. They're friendly competitions with no blood or death. :D

Anyway...

I LOVE cuteness. It makes me happy. And I bet I was that friend she mentioned. I don't see how nice, clean things could make you violent. It makes no sense.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 7:15 pm

Perhaps I should refrain from this one. Personally, excessive cuteness can get tiresome, even offensive to me.
I like beautiful things, butterflies, shells, women, etc.
Better question is why some societies like Japan are so enamored of cuteness! LOL

Sincerely,
Matthew

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 7:27 pm

RainbowStarlight wrote:
Rebel_Nowe wrote:
Not all Pokémon are cute. Usually the smaller are and the huge tough ones (the ones best suited for battle) are not. Just look at Scyther, Charizard, Groudon... Besides, Pokémon battles aren't even violent. They're friendly competitions with no blood or death. :D

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

Psh. There are plenty of cute pokemon between the OU and UU tiers alone. This is totally ignoring the fact that a serious pokemon player can easily manhandle the in game fights with a party full of wigglytuffs and clefables.

Also, anything that crunches with sharp teeth and burns with jets of flame is violent. =P

RainbowStarlight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2012, 7:46 pm

Rebel_Nowe wrote:
RainbowStarlight wrote:
Rebel_Nowe wrote:

Psh. There are plenty of cute pokemon between the OU and UU tiers alone. This is totally ignoring the fact that a serious pokemon player can easily manhandle the in game fights with a party full of wigglytuffs and clefables.

Also, anything that crunches with sharp teeth and burns with jets of flame is violent. =P

That isn't even the type of "violent" she means (though I can't see how a game rated for six and up could be violent). She means violence like murdering people, like in games like Call of Duty. Pokémon don't murder anyone.

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2012, 7:51 pm

Cute things make people happy because it makes them smile.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 9:01 pm

^ ^ Kawaii *-*

outofplace wrote:
Humans are genetically programmed to like cute. This is especially true of the traits common to baby humans and animals. This instinct helps to secure the survival of future generations and thus is either the way we were designed by God to be or the way we evolved to be.

That seems like a good explanation. I wonder if there are studies about people around the word, and tribesmen and stuff also liking cute, or it is only something in our culture.