How in Heck does one get a diagnosis for adult Autism/Asperg

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

richwendt
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2012, 3:16 am

How in Hell does one get a diagnosis for adult Autism/Aspergers in Toronto? Everyone I talk to, professionals and others, look at me sadly and mutter something like “that’s for kids”. The phychiatrists that interviewed me at Sunnybrooke Hospital crisis center agreed I had severe depression, but were absolutely certain I did not have Autism, adult or otherwise. That was really interesting because the only Autism related questions came from me. So, here I am, having taken every Autism/Aspergers on the internet and scoring highly positive (ie 48 out of 50 positive), and I can’t get to see anybody with credentials. Are there any professionals with adult Autism creds in Greater Toronto that are willing to see non-children? :wall:

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 3:56 am

Hmm....that's a tough situation. How frustrating. I cannot know about Canada specifically but I have an idea! The Wrong Planet parents' discussion has a *sticky* (link below) of recommended clinicians in the USA, UK, and Canada - and it's not just for children: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt66842.html

Keep trying, richwendt. Instead of seeking out neuro/psych (un)professionals directly, contact local family doctors and then get referrals/recommendations. You could write a standard "form letter," stating directly what you wish (i.e., diagnostic for AS for an adult) to quickly screen any given practitioners. Expect many to be wholly unqualified, even mystified, by AS....and avoid them like the plague. Do not try to 'negotiate' with any practitioner or justify your needs - if they're not suited for you then leave. If necessary, you could possibly travel for a good diagnostic (although I realise expense can be a factor).

Instead, try to find a good all-around reputable practitioner who can diagnose. Hopefully the forum link has a leads on practitioners near Toronto. All the best and keep looking.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:01 am

Check out these resources - you might write a brief and direct letter to each regarding adult Dx for AS. I found this info from the National Autistic Society (NAS):

Canada

Autism Society Canada
Box 22017, 1670 Heron Road
Ottawa, Ontario, K1V 0C2
Canada
Tel: +1 613 789 8943 or 1 866 476 8440 (toll free)
Fax: +1 613 789 6985
Email: [email protected]

Canadian National Autism Foundation
38 King Street East, PO Box 66512
Stoney Creek, Ontario L8G 5E5
Canada
Tel: +1 905 643 7183
Fax: +1 905 643 0969

International Autism Foundation Canada
850-1501 Royal Avenue
New Westminster BC Canada V3M 1A6
Tel: +1 604 521 7657

richwendt
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2012, 1:20 pm

Thanks LabPet, I really appreciate your helpful reply and thorough info.

I guess most people would call on their family doctor, but I'm Canadian and we have this"wonderful" Health Care System. It takes a long, long wait to replace a retired Doctor (my situation) and you never know who or what you get.
A woman at work who has an Autistic child was in the process of trying to connect me with her doctor. I have their phone number, but they don't call back. Anyway, I was patiently waiting for some progress when my depression just completely devastated me, leaving just two options. So I went to the crisis center.

How does all this searching not drive one nuts, further exasperating ones situation (rhetorical)? I presumed that a major hospital in a major city with a Neurological department would at least direct me to someone with Autistic knowledge.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

http://www.autismsocietycanada.ca/index ... 39&lang=en

Oh, that is a tough situation. But you're not alone - some Wrong Planet members have harrowing stories about diagnostic stuff. And one is confined by any given health care system. What I do know is that a diagnostic assessment for Asperger's Syndrome is usually done under "good" life circumstances, that is, when the client is not in crisis but instead with introspective knowledge and wanting to seek an accurate assessment. Anyway, I'm sorry you've had such a rough time lately. Yes, you're right in that the search itself can be really disheartening. Take care of yourself first. Meanwhile, enjoy the Wrong Planet.