brain sensations as a 'sensory' issue? other sensory issues?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 12:31 pm

I know a lot of us have sensory issues. I have am even bothered by soap residues when I am extremely anxious. I wondered how many have that?

But my main question is whether others think about the sensations in the brain and obsess over them. I worry if it feels "right" sometimes. Very hard to explain. Thankfully, with meds and reduced anxiety, I worry far less.

Bill, otherwise known as Frieslander

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 12:53 pm

In, A Beautiful Mind, the main character was schizophrenic and plague with hallucinations of imaginary people. He learned that although he could never be totally rid of them, if he ignored them, they got further and further away. I think sensory issues could be like this; paying attention to them can make them worse. Medication, exposure therapy, and relaxation techniques can help us deal with our body's overreacting to stimulus, and when our minds are calm, we can let our bodies follow our prompts instead of us following theirs.

Whose in control? Me or my body?

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 6:35 pm

What are sensations in the brain?

You have no sensory receptors in your brain - for example when you have a headache from a neurological problem, it's actuially the mesh holding your brain in place that hurts, not your brain itself.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 7:24 pm

Ettina wrote:
What are sensations in the brain?

You have no sensory receptors in your brain - for example when you have a headache from a neurological problem, it's actuially the mesh holding your brain in place that hurts, not your brain itself.

I guess nobody else obsesses about this as I do.

Anyway, I was aware that experimenters can prod the brain without the person feeling anything, or at least not feeling pain. My understanding is that headaches are related the blood vessels just outside of the brain proper.

However, there are, for me at least, sensations of how "full" the brain seems, if that makes any sense. The size of it. I've been told be people whom I tell this about that everyone has brain sensations; just that no one thinks about them in the way I do.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2012, 9:05 pm

I do, love a beautiful mind one of the few films i cn associate with,

aspieinldn
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2018, 4:08 pm

I think I understand and relate to this but wonder if you could describe the sensations a bit more?

Sometimes I feel like my brain (not head) is really dense and heavy and other times it feels light and airy. I also get weird zaps (from my sertraline)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 4:14 pm

Absolutely. I experience parasthesia in my head / brain. I call it brain freeze. I was investigated for epilepsy and I showed a lot of abnormal activity on EEG, but couldn't be called epileptic. I also get those electric zaps. They started when I took Buspirone and they continue on Sertraline / Risperdal.

aspieinldn
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2018, 4:59 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Absolutely. I experience parasthesia in my head / brain. I call it brain freeze. I was investigated for epilepsy and I showed a lot of abnormal activity on EEG, but couldn't be called epileptic. I also get those electric zaps. They started when I took Buspirone and they continue on Sertraline / Risperdal.

Okay yes I do understand and relate.

As a side note, in the last few years or so, my reaction to English Mustard that is too strong, is that I will feel the 'burn' crawling all the way up my nose, across the back of my head and back down to the top of my neck. it's really unnerving.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 11:45 am

The kind of synesthesia I have can make it feel like I have sensations inside my head. Certain patterns, especially regular tiling, can feel as if they are travelling somehow "through" my head (or body) when I move around them.

We "know" where parts of our body are thanks to the senses of proprioception and interoception, and in many ways, mine don't seem to work quite right - I lose track of limbs when I'm not thinking about them, for example. So, I don't think there need to be nerve ending inside the brain to feel this, it's just that the sense of interoception can tell us sometimes that this is where a sensation is coming from - the same way that wearing headphones can seem like the music is coming from inside our heads rather than outside our ears.