Tell me why it doesn't suck to have AS.....

Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

uniquegal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2006, 2:18 am

I don't think it sucks because we have some very good skills other people probably with they had. Ability for foreign language, etc. We should be liked for what we CAN do not what we can't do.

A! :D

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2006, 12:55 pm

Well really this is the sort of thing that people who don't agree with you (and I) could say that NTs can do as well. And it's not the same for all of us. I have immense trouble learning languages (except computer languages, maybe because they don't require speaking and listening for fluency because I can read and write a bit in languages I don't speak and my English, because it was learned from books more than people, isn't up to par pronunciation wise either.) a

However, the sentiment of the last sentence is something that I agree with. We should like ourselves for our abilities rather than fretting so much over what it is that we THINK we cannot do. The human mind is an amazing thing....

uniquegal wrote:
I don't think it sucks because we have some very good skills other people probably with they had. Ability for foreign language, etc. We should be liked for what we CAN do not what we can't do.

A! :D

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

Bassik
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Nov 2006, 1:39 pm

Being outside of society means you can see the whole picture.

platonicsolid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2006, 11:02 pm

i totally agree with bassik.

being an aspie allows truer perception of the world. all the NTs are just like us but they might as well live in a different world as the name of the website might indicate. we are the minority so we get to watch and all too often feel extremely sorry for ourselves that we don't fit in when really we should have pity for everyone else who have to live with their veils, albeit in moderately social comfort.

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2006, 12:27 am

As someone who was diagnose with learning disabilities at the age of 7, I used to being different and was told to look at my learning disabilities as a good thing. So when I was diagnose with AS, I just continued that view to AS. Something, I keep in mind when I get a little down about having is AS, is something my doctor (for my learning disabilities) told, A world without people with learning disabilities would be a boring place. I also apply this to AS, A world without people with aspie would be a boring place. It has help me keep a positive outlook on life.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2006, 12:34 am

Because we are more logical we are better qualified for engineering positions and other important tasks they're too illogical for.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2006, 11:11 am

Flagg wrote:
Because we are more logical we are better qualified for engineering positions and other important tasks they're too illogical for.

I agree and I just had to post this as unrelated as it may seem. I don't think most NTs (or probably most aspies for that matter, but of course this can be extended to other subjects) would be looking forward to three semesters of Calculus with insane anticipation (it's required for CS majors). Whereas other women would be thrilled to death at something like Project Runway (I hear my friends drone on and on about this, it's not even an age thing....most of my friends are in their 30s and 40s...) which makes me think 'huh?' I'm thrilled about math which would bring about the reaction of "math, where? I want to do the math!'

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2006, 7:36 am

You can refute anything quite frankly.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2006, 1:14 pm

If you have AS your NOT a gang-banging degenerate wannabe A****** or a slu*ty sex maniac B****

Pyth
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2006, 1:21 pm

I know for a fact my intelligence is an advantage. I can debate and talk with people much older than I am, and talk at their intellectual level.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2006, 2:13 pm

Pyth wrote:
I know for a fact my intelligence is an advantage. I can debate and talk with people much older than I am, and talk at their intellectual level.

I think so in my case too. If it weren't for it I may have never made any real friends.

Henry David Thoreau

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2006, 3:40 pm

Twitch wrote:
Pyth wrote:

I think so in my case too. If it weren't for it I may have never made any real friends.

Same HERE! HECK, my job used to be my hobby/interest. I didn't really take classes, and never had to. I was working with some things for YEARS before classes were even offered.

Steve

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2006, 3:44 pm

SteveK wrote:

Same HERE! HECK, my job used to be my hobby/interest. I didn't really take classes, and never had to. I was working with some things for YEARS before classes were even offered.

Steve

What do you do?

Henry David Thoreau

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2006, 4:18 pm

Twitch wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Steve

What do you do?

Computer consultant. WHY?

Steve

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2006, 4:28 pm

SteveK wrote:
Twitch wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Steve

What do you do?

Computer consultant. WHY?

Steve

Curiosity. I thought it was something technical. I'm a CS student so it was purely a matter of that.

Henry David Thoreau

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2006, 4:38 pm

Word of advice! Try to become a VERY good EXPERT in something that has a good marketshare, but few experts in, and preferably something that is best done domestically. I wish I could give full details in a public forum, but.... 8-(

Steve