Does Drugs/alcohol affect us Aspies differently to NT's

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 4:56 am

The livers ability to metabolise drugs may be the only real AS difference.

Aspies impaired detoxification pathways may be only contributing difference, and apparent impairment may be the product of any currently present comorbids like isolation, depression, mood disorders etc.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Jul 2012, 10:40 am

There is DEFINITELY a difference in how I respond to sedatives or anesthetics. Even when I was about 8 years old, and needed a sedative to make me sleep for a test, it did the opposite, and made me high with a fast pulse, and wide awake for days. And if I'm even nearby someone smoking marijuana, I get dizzy and feel weird. I tried it once myself, and it caused a VERY BAD feeling of helplessness and terror, and paranoia. Obviously it must not be that way for others, as if it were, nobody would ever use it.

Alcohol is more effective on me than other people my age & size, I think. Any kind of hard liquor or wine, makes me have headaches and get dizzy; almost like the Flu. Beer not so much, but if I have two beers in an hour, I'm drunk. I like beer, as I was given beer as a baby and toddler since it's considered a necessary food item in Germany, and my Grandma who raised me was German. I don't really drink it much now; maybe one or two beers every couple months or so. Not only do I dislike being affected by alcohol, I like to maintain my body the way it is, and drinking alcohol causes the body to metabolize fats differently, and the alcohol is turned to sugars and then to body fat. In other words, I'm happier with a sixpack under my shirt than with one in the refrigerator :D

Charles

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 10:47 am

I don't really tolerate a lot of alcohol and I'm very sensitive to medications.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 9:12 am

My body is extremely sensitive to the effects of drugs. I can't take caffeine, even 1 aspirin will leave me with 6 hrs. of heart palpitations. Pure aloe gives me hives. If I drink too much alcohol I have chest pains for days. I smoked pot as a teenager and had a severe panic attack which put me in the hospital.

Most of the time I eat a very careful diet and try not to drink much alcohol.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:13 pm

Psychedelics tend to increase Autistic symptoms among Autistic people and neurotypicals alike. It tends to feel very alien for neurotypicals, while many Autistic individuals report experiencing psychedelics as an extension of their natural capabilities.

Levoamphetamine (aka speed) and other stimulants tend to improve the capacity to hyperfocus. They do tend to have a rather relaxing impact on people with ADHD-like symptoms (Autistic or not) until a certain threshold dosage. People without ADHD-like symptoms tend to become hyperactive from the substance. Note that levoamphetamine is highly addictive and can have a negative impact on personality and behavior, although in my experience Autistic people are less sensitive to the latter.

Methylone is experienced by neurotypical women as an extension of their natural capabilities. Autistic individuals typically experience it as a sensation alien to their normal perception. It has the potential for unlocking hidden capabilities among Autistic people, although more research is needed. It is relatively addictive, though, and not very well-known.

Most other substances I'm familiar with tend to have a similar effect on Autistic and Neurotypical people.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 10:19 pm

I've heard that Aspies have a different relationship with addiction to alcohol and other drugs. I'm sure there's a big overlap, but Aspies seem more impervious to true addiction, and can quit more easily. Or so I heard.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 10:34 pm

I'm a tee-totaler. There is a long history of alcoholism and emotional, verbal and physical abuse on Mom's side of the family. Ditto for Dad's side of the family, minus the alcoholism. As for drugs, unless it is for a physical ailment and prescribed by a qualified and licensed physician, drugs are illicit in every sense of the word. Do get me started on phychoactive drugs, as I've had too many bad experiences with those drugs. Besides, both of my parents did not believe in mental health care: they were of the same opinion of Louis B. Mayer: Those who see a psychologist or psychiatrist ought to have their head examined.

Ronnie47
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Feb 2015, 9:31 pm

Hi, I really don't know. Iv only relatively recently picked up light social drinking but I'd have to agree with the comment above that it just seems to help make me forget to be as shy, nerves around others and nothing on topic to talk about as I would normally otherwise be.

Am a very light weight though, both figertivly and literally. Only like 122lbs. So not sheer on if drinks affect me more as an asbie, a light weight, or a newbe to the alcohol itself. Lol Normally I can have one beer over a long time and be ok... More then that will typically force me to sit and hang out for a while to recover.

However, not shere if there is any truth in this next comment or even what I'm trying to say, but the mood I'm in or attitude before I start my first beer does seem to make a difference on how much it will push me for one or two.. Does that make any sense all?

Eclipse247
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Nov 2017, 11:17 am

I think it does. Personally, I find it affects me to behave in a bad way to the extent it has been involved in bad decision making and the loss of relationships. I react to it in the same way as some do to food additives. ie weird behaviour. It takes several days to leave my system. Therefore, a couple of beers every three days means my decision making is permanently affected to some extent. It is hard/impossible to undo the damage caused. I am not sure if its the alcohol or an alergy to something else in any alcoholic drink. I suggest Aspies monitor carefully how they feel for the days following a drink to see how long it takes before your nervous system returns fully to normal.

nomad42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2018, 4:59 pm

Eclipse247 wrote:
I think it does. Personally, I find it affects me to behave in a bad way to the extent it has been involved in bad decision making and the loss of relationships. I react to it in the same way as some do to food additives. ie weird behaviour. It takes several days to leave my system. Therefore, a couple of beers every three days means my decision making is permanently affected to some extent. It is hard/impossible to undo the damage caused. I am not sure if its the alcohol or an alergy to something else in any alcoholic drink. I suggest Aspies monitor carefully how they feel for the days following a drink to see how long it takes before your nervous system returns fully to normal.

It makes me become hyper-depressed, crying on the floor, sometimes the next day sometimes 2 or 3 days later. I cut it to 16 oz. and it didn't matter, I'll be avoiding it for a while.

IRememberNothing
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2018, 12:51 am

In my experience as an aspie, drugs and alcohol don't necessarily affect me differently as they intoxicate just the same, rather the way it compounds social disability or anxiety can be more challenging sometimes. I've run into the problem of drinking too much out of nervousness when forced to deal with more social get together situations, I think NT's are more comfortable drinking moderately as a means of breaking the ice and "working the room". Usually I'm better off in small groups hanging out with close friends when drinking. Nobody really invites me to events anymore, which is cool with me, I've grown to hate them anyway. I also don't bother much with most drugs anymore except weed, I'm well past the point of experimenting. But in past experiences with harder drugs it's still mostly the same deal of social difficulties, only difference is the more exclusionary aspect of it being illegal. This has however given me incredible insight, I can usually tell when someone is under the influence of a particular drug, which can be less obvious than being drunk unless you know what to look for. I don't know if I have a real point, although I don't want condone drug use on any level, I've found marijuana and alcohol in moderation work well enough for me lol. Literally all other substances have been nothing but trouble

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 10:38 am

I always found drugs & alcohol left me feeling quite lost in my own head afterwards for too long. The usual 'come down effects are felt by everyone when using hard drugs but I found myself feeling very disconnected from the world around me for quite a few days afterwards.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 1:54 pm

I'm not sure, but I avoid alcohol because I am on three anti-seizure prescriptions. If I drink alcohol, the alcohol would interfere with the functions of my meds, but it would depend on how many meds an Aspie is on.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 5:24 pm

I personally am a serious lightweight (but Im also a tiny asian girl so...)
However! Enough drinks and that whole "terrible social skills" thing flies out the window. Im much more outgoing and fun to be around when Im drunk. I also have the inability to say "no" so I get roped into all sorts of silly things lol. So if you wanna get out of an antisocial slump go do shots with someone. You'll make friends pretty quickly :wink:
(A warning tho: if you have a bad filter to start with (like I do) than you'll really have none at all after a few drinks)
I dont do drugs, but I can say that when smoking blunts my friends almost always get high before I do.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 6:40 pm

Maybe autistics find it easier to get addicted to drugs and alcohol, than NTs

Maybe autistics tend to have higher rates of anxiety, depression, and obsessive compulsive disorder, than NTs.

Maybe autistics tend to have more addictive personality than NTs

(No references cited)