Friend being sued for helping another friend

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 3:42 pm

An AS friend of mine is kinda in a rut right now. He agreed to help a friend of his move stuff out of his apartment after getting unexpectedly evicted. My friend was put through hell trying to help this guy out with packing and moving out stuff and now apparently they're both being sued due to some damage done to the floor while the two were trying to move out a bed. A lawyer search is already in progress but I must ask how ridiculous is it that my friend is being sued for helping a guy out when he doesn't even live in the apartment complex that the manager is suing them for. I dunno about the extent of the damage but from what my friend claims, the floor already looked messed up prior to the events happening. It could've been damage that the tenant cause himself long before he was evicted for all we know.

My question is what will be the likely cost of damages if the manager wins the suit and also what advice do you have for my friend to best handle this situation? Thanks.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 4:21 pm

No one can possibly prove that any specific scratch(es), dent(s), or mark(s) were caused by your friend.
I believe that this 'lawsuit' is an empty threat to get money for floor refinishing.
Sort of like blackmail, but no proof of wrongdoing.
I would be on the phone to the BBB, and/or the actual owner of the property.

Sylkat

Jasmine90
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2012, 8:37 pm

Sounds to me as though the landlord has no evidence that the damage was caused by moving the bed, so really hasn't a leg to stand on in court.
Was the landlord actually there while they were moving the bed? Has the ex-tenant compared the legs of the bed to the damage on the floor?

It just seems silly to me.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 9:43 pm

If the landlord didn't take photos of the floor before the tenant moved in, then maybe he'll have a hard time winning a lawsuit (since taking photos seems to be standard practice).

Wait, is the landlord keeping the security deposit and suing on top of that??

BreezeGod
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2012, 2:45 am

Quote:
I must ask how ridiculous is it that my friend is being sued for helping a guy out when he doesn't even live in the apartment complex that the manager is suing them for.

Not very. The fact that he doesn't live there doesn't really matter.