Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 9:31 am

I would, but it's so expensive- seven bucks for this little bitty container, at my Kroger.

Plus, it oddly seems to be tasteless in liquids, which is what I use sweeteners for.

to his Interest."

meems
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 12:16 am

ValentineWiggin, I saw that alternet article recently and I was blown away because I've had so many people say my Bubby(yeah, Bubby is a Yiddish word, I think it only applies to the grandmother on the father's side) couldn't have possibly lived to 84 with an eating disorder.

I've sort of tried to avoid the reality of the calories in Splenda because no other artificial sweetener tastes good in tea or coffee. I don't really put it in anything else but I make tea and coffee throughout the day and drink a lot.

I'm scared to click that link!

I've tried Truvia and it's expensive, like you said. I also bought it from the local Kroger! I agree that it's pretty much tasteless when added to liquids. My sister keeps telling me to try Stevia or Xylitol(I probably misspelled that) but those are both expensive too.

How much protien would you estimate you get daily? I've been wondering about how much is really needed because I find such conflicting information and I've never consumed much.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 1:24 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I would, but it's so expensive- seven bucks for this little bitty container, at my Kroger.

Plus, it oddly seems to be tasteless in liquids, which is what I use sweeteners for.

Don't use anything, I don't use sugar or butter.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 9:12 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
(I've recently been able to go from 200/300 to 500 by eliminating carbs), ... I have to do two hours of hard cardio, as well.

I'm curious about how few calories you say here you are consuming. My cat consumes around 200/300 calories a day, and doesn't do any hard cardio that I'm aware of.

How are you able to survive on the equivalent of a cat's diet?

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Don't use anything, I don't use sugar or butter.

Then I wouldn't be able to drink anything, because I gag. :(

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm

Marcia wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
(I've recently been able to go from 200/300 to 500 by eliminating carbs), ... I have to do two hours of hard cardio, as well.

I'm curious about how few calories you say here you are consuming. My cat consumes around 200/300 calories a day, and doesn't do any hard cardio that I'm aware of.

How are you able to survive on the equivalent of a cat's diet?

I'm no scientist- the endocrinologists I've seen say there is simply a spectrum of metabolisms and mine is on one end. My mother also eats very little and I've never known her south of 200 lbs. She doesn't exercise, though, for most of her life due to bad knees.

I was on 200 for the past year or so,
and then someone here (trying to remember who :oops:) brought up the relationship between glucose spikes and weight gain in non-diabetic glucose-sensitive people, and I've done my best since then to eat extremely low-carb. Finding out that dry, sucralose-based sweeteners contain a sh!t ton of carbs, despite claiming to have "zero" was pretty life-altering....
Anyway. With that, I'm up to around 500 a day, with the exercise, and maintaining. :)

to his Interest."

Last edited by ValentineWiggin on 24 Jul 2012, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 2:43 pm

meems wrote:

I've tried Truvia and it's expensive, like you said. I also bought it from the local Kroger! I agree that it's pretty much tasteless when added to liquids. My sister keeps telling me to try Stevia or Xylitol(I probably misspelled that) but those are both expensive too.

Yeah, I was excited to see the generic store brand of Stevia based sweetener now!
Though to-date they only sell it in little packets (at least at my Kroger).
I'm hoping eventually there will be a bulk size Kroger brand of it for much cheaper.
meems wrote:
How much protien would you estimate you get daily? I've been wondering about how much is really needed because I find such conflicting information and I've never consumed much.

Hm, daily? Prolly not much, if any. My almond milk is 1 g per 8 oz, I b'lieve, and I go through maybe 16 ounces a day. Every few weeks when I'm feeling random I venture to Whole Foods to get TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein), which is super-filling and has a lot- I'd highly recommend it. It's pretty cheap- something like $2.00+ a pound, a pound being the size of maybe a canteloupe. You add water, and it expands, absorbing it. As I said, so filling. It's soy-based, which a lot of people object to. I dunno where I stand as far as soy consumption, it's just something I think about- I kind of prefer things like beans, nuts, and seeds. TVP is just great because it's cheap and filling, and easy for me to prepare. 8O

I can't tell you how much protein you in particular need, only that from a nutritional POV, the (perceived, on my part) obsession with obtaining it is lulzy, considering how abundant it is as a macronutrient. My mom dragged me to a nutritionist once a few years ago, beginning her case with "She refuses to eat anything that comes from animals..." and the lady interrupted her with "Oh, a vegan, eh? Great! Me too." My mom's face = priceless. :lol:

to his Interest."

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 5:19 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
OP, if 1800 calories is making you gain weight, then obviously it's not appropriate for your metabolism and activity level at the moment, regardless of whether other people can eat thousands upon thousands of calories daily. 3 or 4 pounds would freak me out, as well. I'm 5'1". 3 or 4 pounds means a pair of jeans falling off versus being unwearably tight.
I empathize with the cycle of gaining and losing, as well. Every time I try to eat much more than a few hundred a day (I've recently been able to go from 200/300 to 500 by eliminating carbs), I gain weight like there's no tomorrow. I have to do two hours of hard cardio, as well. I would see a nutritionist if I was you and have your blood levels checked- if they come back normal, then no harm no foul. I've never run a deficiency for anything.
The Western obsession with protein is certainly interesting, and makes we vegans scratch our heads- it's impossible to be protein deficient without also being calorically-deficient, nutritionally. The only place you hear of malnutrition related to protein deficiency is in third world countries.

I''m assuming "Bubby" was your grandmother?
I just today ran across this article which might be relevant:
Eating Disorders: Not Just for the Young

This. My epilepsy meds make my metabolism slow and I started seeing a nutritionist. I'm going to start exercising again tomorrow. The nutrionist will also cater to what you want for yourself. For me, I want to stay a size 18/20 in clothing(despite my weight gain of 10-13 pounds my clothes still fine just fine).

I think that this whole "treating yourself" to junk food is garbage. If you can afford to have that "special allowance" go ahead. I can't due to my metabolism. Food is nice but clothes are better.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 8:04 pm

^Totally.
I'd rather eat a ton of vegetables and get full than a tiny candy bar, which would go straight to my @ss and not fill me up at all.

Not long ago, bf and I were eating soup and it was just sooo good I had about double my daily calorie goal, and he was like "you know what you call a 'binge', I call a 'snack', right?" He's right. I have no idea what he'd have to eat to gain weight. Crisco or something. :?

to his Interest."