Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 7:50 am

Hey!
Im using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32Bit. Is it possible to change my kernel to 64 bit without a reinstall?
Thanks!

NakaCristo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2012, 8:36 am

Madbones wrote:
Hey!
Im using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32Bit. Is it possible to change my kernel to 64 bit without a reinstall?
Thanks!

All the libraries in the system are also of 32 bits and need to be changed to the 64 bit version.
This implies a reinstall or an install in other partition.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:53 am

NakaCristo wrote:
Madbones wrote:
Hey!
Thanks!

All the libraries in the system are also of 32 bits and need to be changed to the 64 bit version.

Yep. Even though you will have the amd64 Kernel, all lib and bin files still have been compiled for x86. Just do a complete reinstall with the amd64 version, after backing up /home.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

Fogman wrote:
NakaCristo wrote:
Madbones wrote:
Hey!
Thanks!

Yep. Even though you will have the amd64 Kernel, all lib and bin files still have been compiled for x86. Just do a complete reinstall with the amd64 version, after backing up /home.

Damn!
Ok.
Il do it that way I guess.
Luckily I dont really need 64 bit at the moment. Ubuntu is happily using 100% of the 3GB of ram I have.