Unable to find a job, is it this bad at other places?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lapisrabbit
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2012, 7:29 pm

I've been looking relentlessly for a job for the past two months, I've had two interviews after the 100+ applications. I didn't come from the richest family, nor am I handsome. Why is it that 99.9% of ALL employers only care about what you come from or what you look like? I'm in desperate need of a job and every opening I find, there's someone who came from a richer walk of life or has better looks than I.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 7:37 pm

The issue I'm facing is everyone is looking for some people with skill. They are looking for people with college degrees or higher levels of work experience. How does a still in college person make it? Mcdonalds.....and other low wage jobs.

lapisrabbit
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2012, 7:41 pm

I've tried to get nearly EVERY kind of job I can think of. It's always the prettier looking or the person who looks like they came from a richer family. I'm getting sick of this!

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 7:45 pm

lapisrabbit wrote:
I've tried to get nearly EVERY kind of job I can think of. It's always the prettier looking or the person who looks like they came from a richer family. I'm getting sick of this!

How do you know who's getting the jobs? Are you visiting all the places you applied at to see who they hire? With the number of apps you have submitted that seems unlikely, so your assumptions about who is getting the jobs may not be correct.

I'm finding the market really tough at the moment, too.

lapisrabbit
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2012, 8:15 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
lapisrabbit wrote:

How do you know who's getting the jobs? Are you visiting all the places you applied at to see who they hire? With the number of apps you have submitted that seems unlikely, so your assumptions about who is getting the jobs may not be correct.

I go in and tell them I'm still interested in the job and I see someone new in there. It's rather frustrating and depressing.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 9:44 pm

lapisrabbit wrote:
I've been looking relentlessly for a job for the past two months, I've had two interviews after the 100+ applications. I didn't come from the richest family, nor am I handsome. Why is it that 99.9% of ALL employers only care about what you come from or what you look like? I'm in desperate need of a job and every opening I find, there's someone who came from a richer walk of life or has better looks than I.

Are you interviewing to be a stripper? I don't think handsome or cute comes into play unless your working for certain jobs (strippers, Abercombrie, etc)

I've never had an interviewer ask about my family life. We actually got a bulletin from HR that said not to ask questions like that.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:18 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
I've never had an interviewer ask about my family life. We actually got a bulletin from HR that said not to ask questions like that.

I've been asked if i was married in 3 screening interviews so far. Sounds like they have a corporate culture that wants to screen out anything ASD. My "no" answer didn't get me any further.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:53 pm

Right now the economy is in the toilet, so a lot of people are unemployed and looking for work along with newbies to the job market. Because the economy is so bad, employers are very leery about investing in any biz expansions or any other kind of investment, including hiring new workers. Since they are so leery, and since so many people are looking for work, employers have become very picky in who they will hire. This makes it tougher for all the job hunters, but even more so for those with baggage, like a disability or disorder.

Have you considered any type of self employment? It's a great way to meet people, boost self image, put money in your wallet, and gain experience, and will look good on your resume if you later decide to switch to working for someone else. Here are some ideas:

>> Lawn mowing/yard work/gardening.
>> House cleaning.
>> Errand/shopping service.
>> Wait for service people, so the home owner/renter doesn't have to take time off from work.
>> House/pet sitting.
>> House chores for the elderly/disabled.
>> Handyman.
>> Tutor.
>> Computer maintenance/repair.
>> Website design.
>> Other website based businesses.
>> Paint houses indoor/outdoor.

There are many other self employment opportunities. Your local libraries will have books with lists and descriptions of them, so look into it.

Good luck with your job hunting! :D

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 1:01 am

On one of my interest forums there's a guy who simply goes to the local motor vehicle department, draws a number and sells it to people who came in after him. In his case he only goes there when he has official business but someone who has nothing but time on their hands can at least make sure they'll eat that day. The nice thing about his arrangement is that time is a commodity, worth more to some people than others

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 2:41 pm

I applied at 5 places but they don't seem to want me because I'm a college student with no former job experience and they are looking for "Full time" workers.

Scottinoz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jul 2012, 4:27 pm

lapisrabbit wrote:

Welcome to the real world :twisted:

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2012, 6:54 pm

It is hard for every one at the moment. I'm a scientist with 11 years work experience and can't find work. 127 applications in 6 months and 17 interviews. I look good on paper (I ask why I wasn't considered and the most often reply is overqualified or underqualified lack of management experience (for trainee lab manager posts). The best one (got it framed) is from McDonalds saying that I lack the nessisary qualifications to work there 8).

I'm getting worried now as the job centre is pushing me into applying for service jobs that I just can't handle. 38hrs a week communicating with strangers :? I could do it if I knew the people (used to work in a pub but knew 99% of the customers).

Your looks and personality do play a part went for an interview at one place and the reason I didn't get it was that I didn't look like I'd fit in and they doubted my knowlege and training ability was recorded correctly on my cv (HR & management interview (neither knew my subject)they never asked a question about it) they were surprised to find out the person they told this to (there star microbiologist) was my friend and I was the one that took him in and trained him when he worked in my lab after graduation. They ended up giving the job to a guy who doesn't know microbiology but went to the same uni as the manager.

I've seen one of my bosses pick a candidate out of 2 equally skilled people because she was a 5'4" blonde (and very cute) although another picked one guy out of 3 because he had a nice smile but seemed a little awkward.

One interview they gave the work experience position to they other guy because I had a midland accent (they told the guy who got the position) we played in the same rugby league.

Also when they closed my labs they chose to keep/transfer the popular staff. They set up a new facility with those people (all with 10yrs+ experience) two month later then had to advertise for staff as non of those they kept could do the scientific jobs well enough.

Things will only ever be fair if we ditch predudice and line up all the HR staff and shoot them. People arn't a commodity.

Your Aspie score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 68 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2012, 12:10 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
lapisrabbit wrote:

This. You don't know why you're not getting hired.

Maybe you dressed sloppily at the interview. Maybe you arrived at the interview late.

Maybe you have no experience at that job-- or any job. Maybe your personality comes off bad.

Think about why YOU aren't getting the job, instead of assumption rich and pretty people get the job.

The economy sucks, so that's not helping you either.

Keep looking at jobs. Have you resume edited. Practice your interview skills. Some colleges and community centers/libraries offer free resume editing and interview practice sessions. Go to them. Attend career fairs.

You'll find something soon enough.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2012, 12:13 am

If you're unqualified, consider volunteering to pad your resume.

If you're overqualified, don't list previous salaries and consider toning down the resume. Keep in factually accurate, just not so "wow, look at me" if you're overly qualified.

You could experiment and try leaving off your education on entry level fast food jobs. If you have a Ph.D., and are applying to flip fries, the employer might assume you won't stay at the job long. Leave off education if possible. (If their app asks if you went to college, obviously keep it factually accurate.)

SuperSimoholic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2012, 8:05 am

II've been looking for work too. I've only gotten 1 interview to work at ASDA, it was a group interview and I thought I did really well, I played confidence like a freaking harp, maybe I laid it on too thick but I only did what we're always told employers want to see - People who take part, are friendly and helpful and pay attention. I did all of these, I was knackered when I got home, I had to go to bed!

They didn't even call me in for a second, one-on-one interview...

No one else has even gotten back to me :(
I understand I have no experiance, but we were told that employers didn't care if it was an entry level position...

I applied for Work Experience with the Job Center, but even THEY haven't got back to me!!
But if I don't get it, I'll be looking at volunteering to beef up my CV.

But honestly as much as I want paid work, I only want it because I don't want to be a scrounger, and if I had the choice to live for free, I would happily stay in and not work.
The thought of working is terrifying but I know I need to just push through it, no matter how much it makes me cry to think about it.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 9:15 am

>_< This sucks. So far I heard that you were lucky if you could even get a job when you were in high school. Most people I'm around have stuck through with the job they got in high school all throughout college. I asked my fellow colleagues for pointers when applying for jobs.. they are all "I was lucky to be accepted back at where I used to work when I was in high school" BS.. McDonalds is always hiring but that is the one place I don't want to work. I heard they are good with your hours at school and they accept anyone even people with dyed hair or tattoos.. I want to work at a place that I actually will give a damn about.. The problem is.. the places you want to work at don't even want you.. They don't even realize that you "want" to work there.. Not just make money.. People shouldn't turn down applications without getting to know you first.. I hope people like having a whole bunch of A-holes work for their company who are probably taking advantage of their hours and wasting time talking to people in the back of storage rooms. I know a lot of people who don't give a s**t about their job but are still aloud to work there. They are REALLY turning down a potential employee. I won't talk on my cell phone during work hours. I won't talk back to my manager. I will always show up on time. I will commit to the hours that I said I would work. I will always be energetic and have motivation to get the job done. I will talk to my customers and not just leave them standing there by the counter un-helped..

Really, this is BS.