Unable to find a job, is it this bad at other places?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lapisrabbit
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jul 2012, 1:50 pm

Someone mentioned that I'm just assuming that rich and pretty people get hired. Have you seen the places where you would prefer to work at? I've seen nothing but pretty stuck up people who are really rude. Anyways, I'm going to Action-Temp tomorrow to see if they can help me get a job. Don't go to WorkOne, it's a pure waste of time. I heard sometimes at Action-Temp they find a job for you the same day you come in.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 9:02 pm

Maybe that's why I think the men behind the counter are attractive who work there. AHHH damn... You mean to say I fell for their sales pitch ? :OOOO

Min27
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2012, 12:10 am

I'm having the same problem. My trouble is the field I'm experienced in (visual arts and graphic design) is a severely specialized field where a lot of people are self employed. I really want to go work somewhere that has a shop front or office because it's not healthy for me to work at home in isolation (I don't meet anybody). My employment agency suggested I start my own business and start gathering clients. Again, while it does seem like a viable option, I'll still be working in isolation.

Currently I'm looking for work in business administration or office assistance, because that seems to be a much broader field. Still not much luck though because most of the job offers require experience in accounting.

Quote:
I want to work at a place that I actually will give a damn about.. The problem is.. the places you want to work at don't even want you.. They don't even realize that you "want" to work there.. Not just make money.. People shouldn't turn down applications without getting to know you first..

I know how you feel. Some corporations just don't seem to see that you have a personal respect for them and would be honored to work for them; that working for them would be a personal milestone in your life. Oh well, I guess if they weren't so picky about the people they hired it wouldn't be such a milestone to get employment with them.

lapisrabbit
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm

Min27 wrote:
I'm having the same problem. My trouble is the field I'm experienced in (visual arts and graphic design) is a severely specialized field where a lot of people are self employed. I really want to go work somewhere that has a shop front or office because it's not healthy for me to work at home in isolation (I don't meet anybody). My employment agency suggested I start my own business and start gathering clients. Again, while it does seem like a viable option, I'll still be working in isolation.

Currently I'm looking for work in business administration or office assistance, because that seems to be a much broader field. Still not much luck though because most of the job offers require experience in accounting.

Quote:
I want to work at a place that I actually will give a damn about.. The problem is.. the places you want to work at don't even want you.. They don't even realize that you "want" to work there.. Not just make money.. People shouldn't turn down applications without getting to know you first..

I know how you feel. Some corporations just don't seem to see that you have a personal respect for them and would be honored to work for them; that working for them would be a personal milestone in your life. Oh well, I guess if they weren't so picky about the people they hired it wouldn't be such a milestone to get employment with them.

That's the thing behind every graphic artist, you have to be prepared for some isolation. I want to make comic books for a living and I've had my fair share of isolation. Maybe split your time? Somehow obtain a part time job and work with clients on the side. That way you wouldn't have to worry about not having anyone to talk to on a regular basis.

Gnonymouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2012, 9:00 pm

lapisrabbit wrote:
I've been looking relentlessly for a job for the past two months, I've had two interviews after the 100+ applications. I didn't come from the richest family, nor am I handsome. Why is it that 99.9% of ALL employers only care about what you come from or what you look like? I'm in desperate need of a job and every opening I find, there's someone who came from a richer walk of life or has better looks than I.

Wait, are you applying for a job or a dating site? Attractiveness and wealth will open doors, but for jobs your resume and portfolio are going to matter a lot more.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 12:19 am

2wheels4ever wrote:
On one of my interest forums there's a guy who simply goes to the local motor vehicle department, draws a number and sells it to people who came in after him. In his case he only goes there when he has official business but someone who has nothing but time on their hands can at least make sure they'll eat that day. The nice thing about his arrangement is that time is a commodity, worth more to some people than others

seen the movie "in time"? :D

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 11:07 am

lapisrabbit wrote:
I've been looking relentlessly for a job for the past two months, I've had two interviews after the 100+ applications. I didn't come from the richest family, nor am I handsome. Why is it that 99.9% of ALL employers only care about what you come from or what you look like? I'm in desperate need of a job and every opening I find, there's someone who came from a richer walk of life or has better looks than I.

Rich people are not getting hired. The same goes for pretty people. I know of plenty of both who cannot find work. Most are recent college grads, but I have heard whispers of C-suite executives who can't find work. Their egos mean they are too ashamed to talk about it, but they are out there.

So to answer your question, everyone, everywhere is hurting. Those who see success (such as tech start-ups and investment banks) work in very unstable industries where it is feast or famine.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 12:44 pm

Lots of people can't find work, rich and poor, ugly and attractive - we're all in the same boat at the moment.

I have 10 years of experience, great references etc and I am finding it impossible to find anything. I have applied for over 20 jobs in the last two weeks, with only one interview (which I haven't had yet). In the past I have usually found something in a matter of days but those times are gone. Not only am I competing with the people like me, I'm also competing with those who have failed to find graduate jobs and have been forced to take entry level positions. It is very demoralising and has really knocked my confidence.

aarpar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2012, 4:06 pm

SilkySifaka wrote:
Lots of people can't find work, rich and poor, ugly and attractive - we're all in the same boat at the moment.

I have 10 years of experience, great references etc and I am finding it impossible to find anything. I have applied for over 20 jobs in the last two weeks, with only one interview (which I haven't had yet). In the past I have usually found something in a matter of days but those times are gone. Not only am I competing with the people like me, I'm also competing with those who have failed to find graduate jobs and have been forced to take entry level positions. It is very demoralising and has really knocked my confidence.

Same here. Of course, central Canada is terrible when it comes to finding work for website design. Although I'm considering freelance, my portfolio is dirt at the moment. I've considered freelance but I'm fresh out of college.

I also have trouble getting in with photolabs as well. I remember the days when I was able to get a lot of interviews myself, but nooooo. Not these days. You have to really put yourself out there confidently and I also have a lot of trouble with that.

I also think part of it too is the fact that it's the middle of summer and all the students have jobs right now. Maybe it would be best to hold out until some students quit or go to part time and then start looking again. There should be lots of results then.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 2:55 am

I think it's probably worse now as people have just graduated too, so there is a new wave of people who need jobs. Yesterday I was lucky enough to get two weeks of work, which will tide me over. It's cleaning, which I think a lot of students (and younger people generally) don't want to do. There loss is my gain, however.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2012, 7:21 am

Gnonymouse wrote:

Wait, are you applying for a job or a dating site? Attractiveness and wealth will open doors, but for jobs your resume and portfolio are going to matter a lot more.

Hahaha, that's the truest statement I've read on WP all day.

Nicely put, man.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 8:06 am

This is why I work at a warehouse. Even though I have a bachelor's degree, most jobs want 5+ years of experience along with the degree. How am I supposed to have 5+ years of experience right out of college? Apart from making friends, developing social skills and meeting my current boyfriend, college has been pretty much useless to me in terms of my career. :/