Do kids on the spectrum potty train later than NT kids?

Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

LivingPower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2019, 4:00 pm

I don't know if ASD kids potty train later in general, but I know my DD did. She's 17 now, so it's been a long time, but if I remember correctly, she was somewhere between 3 and 3 1/2. Her delay had nothing to do with knowing what to do and how to do it. I honestly believe she didn't like the change of going from diapers to using the toilet.

Basically, every time I tried to take her out of her diaper, she might use the potty or toilet once, then she would pee her pants. And I would put her right back in her diaper. Finally, one morning, when she was due to go to gymnastics, she had such a bad diaper rash I said enough is enough. She was uncomfortable from the rash and I said, "There's no way you can do gymnastics like that. No more diapers."

She spent that day peeing her pants, because when she did that before, I always put her back in a diaper. Once she realized that wasn't going to happen any more, she was done. From the next day onward, she used the toilet, and within a week or two, she didn't need a diaper at night.

So, at least for her, and maybe for other high-functioning ASD kids, it's a matter of not liking the change.