14 dead and 50 injured in mass shooting in Colorado.

Page 1 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

PM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 5:43 am

http://news.yahoo.com/police-14-dead-co ... 16145.html

A screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" went horribly wrong. Expect to be hearing about this for the rest of the year, and expect someone on Capitol Hill to propose a new gun law.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 5:54 am

Don't be so cynical, PM. It was probably some psychopath out to "watch the world burn."

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Jul 2012, 6:40 am

simply unfathomable

20 minutes from Columbine High School

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 6:50 am

that is so tragic. sincere condolences to all family and friends of the victims. :(

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 7:06 am

Interestingly, I was looking at things on the internet when I came across this.
Posted yesterday. Suddenly gets a whole different meaning, doesn't it?

And now I'm afraid to go watch it. Then again, not even sure if it's going to be released here anytime soon.

Echo1030
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2012, 7:23 am

The crazies will always find ways to get guns. Sigh.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 7:41 am

What an awful thing to happen :( At least they have caught the person responsible.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 7:57 am

PM wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/police-14-dead-colorado-theater-shooting-093016145.html

A screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" went horribly wrong. Expect to be hearing about this for the rest of the year, and expect someone on Capitol Hill to propose a new gun law.

A more cynical view is that Obama/Clinton will use this for support of the UN Small Arms treaty.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 8:37 am

noname_ever wrote:
PM wrote:

A more cynical view is that Obama/Clinton will use this for support of the UN Small Arms treaty.

That treaty is supposed to keep small arms out of the hands of those who wish to use them for genocide and other Crimes Against Humanity, but any time the UN takes an interest in firearms, I get suspicious. The British and Australians lost their gun rights one tragedy at a time, and it seems like a case of deja vu. Columbine, Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords, and now this.

Echo1030

20 Jul 2012, 9:17 am

PM wrote:
noname_ever wrote:
PM wrote:

That treaty is supposed to keep small arms out of the hands of those who wish to use them for genocide and other Crimes Against Humanity, but any time the UN takes an interest in firearms, I get suspicious. The British and Australians lost their gun rights one tragedy at a time, and it seems like a case of deja vu. Columbine, Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords, and now this.

Sadly, all of those tragedies would have been carried out, total gun ban or not. Banning guns doesn't make them go away, it just keeps them out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. :( If anything, it'll cause an escalation of violence as a black market becomes more prevalent.... remember prohibition?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 9:28 am

You know there are some cool things about my state, but the mass amounts of 'psycho with a gun kills (insert # of people)' is not one of them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 9:30 am

Echo1030 wrote:

don't you mean the psychos, not everyone who's 'crazy' wants to go shooting people you know.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 9:36 am

Echo1030 wrote:
PM wrote:
noname_ever wrote:
PM wrote:

Sadly, all of those tragedies would have been carried out, total gun ban or not. Banning guns doesn't make them go away, it just keeps them out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. :( If anything, it'll cause an escalation of violence as a black market becomes more prevalent.... remember prohibition?

I totally agree, these tragedies just give the politicians an excuse to further erode the one right that they consider a threat to their power. Prohibition did not work, it made everything worse.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 9:37 am

I just read about this story today, what a horrible thing to happen. My initial thought that this was the work of someone so unhappy with they're own life they had to take it out on others. But usually when this is the case, they will take their own life afterwords. Probably a psychotic's idea of getting some attention. I wonder if the U.S will tighten up their gun laws as a result of this. I'm glad that they are illegal in my country because the benefit of having them is much outweighed by the negative affect it can cause when in possession.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 9:58 am

Colinn wrote:
I just read about this story today, what a horrible thing to happen. My initial thought that this was the work of someone so unhappy with they're own life they had to take it out on others. But usually when this is the case, they will take their own life afterwords. Probably a psychotic's idea of getting some attention. I wonder if the U.S will tighten up their gun laws as a result of this. I'm glad that they are illegal in my country because the benefit of having them is much outweighed by the negative affect it can cause when in possession.

Thing with guns being illegal here is its not like people couldn't get them illegally......so all it would do is prevent more law abiding citizens from not being able to have one. I mean its not really the gun that was the culprit here, it was the person behind the trigger......and either they where just a nasty person in general or they were pushed to that point.

Echo1030

20 Jul 2012, 10:00 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Echo1030 wrote:

don't you mean the psychos, not everyone who's 'crazy' wants to go shooting people you know.

Yes, you're right. Sorry. I suppose I didn't mean it in such a specific way... I don't consider people with mental health disorders (myself being one) crazy, I consider people who shoot up random places crazy. No offense intended.