The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Opinions

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 5:44 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
On a semi-related note, is it pronounced to rhyme with "pi", or with "fee"? I was never quite sure. I was assuming that since she's supposed to be sort of digital, that it was pronounced like Fi the number pattern.

I think that it is pronounced like "eye" on the end.

I don't hate her, but this is not much of an exaggeration.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:07 am

Bradleigh wrote:
I don't hate her, but this is not much of an exaggeration.

Oh, that's right, it was really annoying to get low on hearts...I'd always try my hardest to keep them high just so I wouldn't have to hear her...but then again, I do that in almost every Zelda game, because the "your hearts are low" beeping noise is super annoying.

But Navi, there is nothing you can do to avoid her. Any time you look at something that can be examined, she flies out to show it to you.

I might have to try to ROM hack her out, if nobody else has done it yet... I've also always wanted to dummy out the "You got the key! You can use it to open..." etc. messages that pop up in every game since Link's Awakening, but I might actually have to learn some assembly for that, or at least learn how to operate the debugger...

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 9:49 pm

i'm quite sure 'Fi' is officially pronounced "fai" (like 'eye'), but i just call her 'fee' because i hate those kinds of dipthongized sounds, with a passion.

Fi was originally called 'Phi' during development, or am i mistaken?

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Oh, that's right, it was really annoying to get low on hearts...I'd always try my hardest to keep them high just so I wouldn't have to hear her...but then again, I do that in almost every Zelda game, because the "your hearts are low" beeping noise is super annoying.

But Navi, there is nothing you can do to avoid her. Any time you look at something that can be examined, she flies out to show it to you.

yes, the heart beeping noise itself was jarring enough without having fi's reminders stacked on top if it. i wish it could just be one or the other.

her reminder about the low wiimote battery reads slower compared to her usual text, to boot.

the characters were nice enough i suppose, i liked learning all their names, and a short bio via fi. i remember fondly my first times playing it where i could hardly get around skyloft without having to check out the map often..but can you really, seriously call the sky a true overworld??

three dimensional, yes, but seriously inferior to WW's great sea, in my eyes.

boss fights were good (except levias) and i loved the option to relive them via lightning round, but a small part of me wishes that the bokoblins and similar enemies would spend more time slashing and less time defending. never had problems with unresponsive motion controls, just calibrations every now and then.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 9:52 pm

One thing I didn't like was that the "recalibration" button was the same button that, when flying, makes you leap to your death =)

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 5:33 am

Stopped playing after about an hour. I wasn't feeling it that much. Should I give it another try?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 6:21 pm

i say, go for it. how far did you get?

the first few bits of the game are quite a chore, getting your bird, training, etc. i felt a fair bit more engaged once i got below the clouds.

...oh s**t. was that a spoiler.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 6:47 pm

Barely into the first temple and I quit.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 6:49 pm

You got that far in an hour?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
You got that far in an hour?

Yeah, pretty sure.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 1:34 pm

It is my favorite Zelda game so far, taking Majora's Mask's/Wind Waker's spot (I had the chance to play Wind Waker on an emulator, because I have no GC controllers to play it on my Wii, but my crappy graphics card forced me to stop before I could figure if it was better than Majora. I suspect it is, though). Sure, Fi can be annoying, but I think some people (even the ones who complain about the much more annoying Navi) get too worked up over very small details. The gadgets were interesting, the villain had more personality than all incarnations of Ganondorf combined (to be fair, even Guru-Guru, the Windmill Man had more personality than all incarnations of Ganondorf combined), the supporting characters (mostly Groose, but Impa, too) were much more developed than usual and the whole concept of a city in the sky, Loftwings and the Sailcloth were the greatest additions to the series since the King of Red Lions. The whole game is a lot of fun (which is what video games are supposed to be) and its shortcoming are too insignificant to detract from the experience.

Skyward Sword is just as good as I have learned to expect from the Zelda series, but it adds some much needed new mechanics. Overall, an excellent addition to the series. I hope Nintendo tries to come up with something as refreshing with their next game (from what I have heard about their latest 3DS Zelda, it looks like that is exactly what they are trying to do with the series). Also, other developers should begin to take notes from Nintendo on how to properly handle their IPs.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.