I was bullied, but it DIDN'T bother me/didn't upset me 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
I was bullied, and it DID bother me/upset me 91%  91%  [ 98 ]
I wasn't bullied 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 108

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 3:20 am

Yes, and it bothered me, but you know what they say about how the tables turn when you get older? It's not just true. It's comically, exaggeratedly true.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 3:48 am

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Yes, and it bothered me, but you know what they say about how the tables turn when you get older? It's not just true. It's comically, exaggeratedly true.

So...you bully people now? :?

Or are you saying you are less than bothered by such things?

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 3:53 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I'd have to possess the brain of a sandwich if bullying didn't bother me.
The thing is, some aspies are so socially blind that they don't realize they were bullied until much later. Hence, it doesn't bother them. I remember guys in my yard making me do all kinds of weird things (like take off my pants in front of them) and then laughing at me and I thought I'd entertained them and laughed with them. I was about 9-10 then. In school, I was bullied from first grade to sixth (7-12 years). During the first three years the bullying was mostly physical by older boys and it did bother me, but not too much. All hell broke loose when the older girls who looked after me went to high school when I was 10 and one of my classmates decided to make my life miserable. She put everyone else in the school (there were only about 30 pupils in the entire school) against me. Every day, she said something mean about me. I was a ret*d, embarassing to the whole class etc. Bullying stopped when I went to high school at 13, but I was still left out.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 11:35 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

So...you bully people now? :?

Or are you saying you are less than bothered by such things?

I'm clearly in a better position socially and economically?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

I guess I can see why nerds, auties and aspies love comics and superheroes so much - they have to get their bully angst out of their system some way. Remember those ads in the old comics about the 90 lb weakling? I think it was an ad for an exercise class or energy bar or drink or something. Whatever it was, it was directed towards the bullied kids, probably the bulk of the comic's readers.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2012, 4:31 pm

I feel like the answer to this is quite obvious. Of course aspies were/are bullied at school, it should almost be considered a symptom!

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2012, 5:27 pm

I was bullied for as long as I can remember, and it has made me depressed, agitated and enraged. It doesn't help that I still get targeted from time to time. I hate my social deficits. I'm turning 33 this week and I still have no comfort in myself when I have to deal with others. They always know there is something 'wrong' with me and it makes me incredibly agitated.

shortcircuit3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2012, 12:23 am

whatever was done to me, in its transience, was not nearly so bad as what longstanding beliefs i absorbed. you start to view yourself as some kind of primordial sub-specimen (and following that act: an insidious self-deprecation that takes years to amend). i can completely forgive the people, the events, the schools... hell, if i live long enough the specifics may become too muddled, faded and abstract to be mentionable anyway. but i can't forgive the fact that my internal self-perception was fundamentally altered.

i am steadily deprogramming myself, however... it appears a significant chunk of adulthood is about challenging misconceptions accumulated in childhood. (sigh) how dull and exhausting.

gotwake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2012, 12:25 am

I was bullied every day on the bus for 2 years. It was all spear-headed by one person. I am much larger and a littler bit more coordinated now, and I am terrified of what I would do if I ever saw that prick again.