I was bullied, but it DIDN'T bother me/didn't upset me 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
I was bullied, and it DID bother me/upset me 91%  91%  [ 98 ]
I wasn't bullied 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 108

autotelica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2012, 4:42 pm

I was teased. Bullying makes me think of physical violence and that kind of thing. I was just verbally harrassed. The class ret*d. The resident crazy.

But it didn't bother me that much. In fact, I kind of liked it. It gave me an excuse to not even try to fit in, which I told myself I didn't want to do anyway (maybe as a coping mechanism).

My teachers felt sorry for me, and this too I enjoyed. They gave me special privileges and let me do whatever I wanted because I was so pathetic. Like, once a boy in class started making fun of my backwardness in math and I threw the chalkboard eraser at him. The teacher dressed him down for teasing me but said nothing about my retaliation--even after he started whining about it. Hilarious.

Once I got to high school, I was too weird to make fun of. The other kids started pitying me at that point. Which was fine with me.

My therapist is constantly trying to get me to admit that I was traumatized by all the name-calling. It DID have some effect on my self-esteem, but not enough to make it a major issue. Especially 30+ years after the fact. I've always been more bothered by how I see myself than how other people see me.

Sylph
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2012, 5:01 pm

I was bullied during school, mainly in first grade still remember the kid that stole things from me, physically and verbally abused me at the end of the school year I cracked, beat him up and don't regret it. The school didn't take bullying seriously either, where I live it wasn't acknowledged until several years ago. By the time I was in fourth grade, my parents had us move to a different school where I wasn't bullied anymore.

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2012, 5:06 pm

I was bullied a lot during high school and I didn't enjoy it. I was quiet and tried to not be noticed but I still got bullied.

I was never physically bullied but I had to endure verbal bullying during grade 9 and 10 but once I got in grade 11 I was never bullied again for the rest of high school.

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2012, 5:09 pm

Many m...f..kers try to bully me, but I fight back so severe that no one tried to bully me more than once.

It bothered me back then, because:
- no one who should help, did not help me,
- sense of security is one of the most important things in my life
- opinion of "psycho-kid" and social ostracism is a real pain
What I don't understand until today: if (in my school) someone allowed bullies to change him to class ninny - it was OK. He was bullied, but kind of liked. But if someone was found "dangerous", and would not become one of bullies - total ostracism. Maybe someone can explain this? Maybe it has something to do with "social rules"??

And it bothers me now, because nothing changed - some officials introduced "aggression management" or other "assertiveness training" in school, but this did not change anything.

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2012, 5:15 pm

That reminds me, I once saw a guy attending an anti-bullying meeting and then afterwards I saw him bullying someone in the library.

The guy was not forced to attend, he went on his free will. What gives?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 5:28 pm

It often didn't bother me because I was unaware I was being bullied.

You have to understand--school was a refuge for me. At school, I didn't fear for my life like I often did at home. So, really, if the other kids weren't outright beating me up, I often had no idea I was being ridiculed. In general, I enjoyed school. A place that was quiet, with books in it, and teachers who liked your love of books--probably one of my favorite places as a kid, other than my grandma's house.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 9:10 pm

MightyMorphin wrote:
Did it bother you whilst you were being bullied? Were you very upset and sometimes got very angry?

I was bullied very badly at school. I was quiet. I didn't involve myself with other kids because I didn't even know how to talk to people, and this bullying was from year 3 (age 7) until I left school at the end of year 11 (age 16) and it stressed me a lot. I got very angry that in year 6 (age 10) I was ordered by my school to have anger management classes (which didn't work) and still found myself often getting angry, especially when trying to do my work, and kids would interrupt me and take my book and pen away and such.

Into secondary school I was still walking out of class crying and screaming sometimes. I was embarrassed by it, but it bothered me more the bullying and the torture from the kids.
-Year 1 (age 5): (outside of school incident) On the first day of a Summer basketball club a teenager got a basketball and threw it right at my head; I was knocked over instantly and a giant lump had formed on my head, from where the ball had connected with my face...and YES as expected, I was upset, though I still don't know why he did it.
-Year 2 (age 6): Was being bullied, but due to my poor social skills, I didn't notice. That time in my life, I wasn't upset about it.
-Year 5 (age 9): When training for the first time with the school football team, a boy came up to me, pulled my trousers down, and ran off. I felt violated then, and still do now.
-Years 7-8 (aged 11-12): 1. In my opinion and in many other's, the smartest girl in the entire school was my best friend for these two years, but then started to bully me by calling me names and making me hate myself. (It's quite possible that she's on the Autism Spectrum though, as she fits the proverbial 'textbook definition' of AS/HFA.
2. The typical high school/class bullies; they used to make me do their classwork, they teased me about my appearance and used to call me "geek", "teacher's pet" etc. I used to cry a lot through these years.
-Years 10-11 (aged 14-16): I call this "subtle class bullying"; this is when my own peers would laugh or poke fun at me, or ridicule my intelligence i.e. if I raised my hand in class to answer a question or say something, people would tease me because they thought that I was too smart and was upstaging them. This upset me, so much that I told my parents. However, my dad basically said that it was my own fault, and that I needed to stop provoking that sort of reaction from my classmates; he told to stop putting my hand up and answering questions in class...LUCKY, huh? (sarcasm intended)

StormCrow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2012, 11:09 pm

I never was bullied, or if it did happen I was oblivious to it.

I talked with everyone (sort of, I was really quiet and mostly listened) and didn't fit in to a specific group so I just ambled around.

Thelostcup
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2012, 11:34 pm

I got a lot of bullying in school but I brought a lot of it on myself because of how I acted.

It pretty much stopped when I hit puberty and people were afraid to mess with me.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 1:06 am

Yup, sure did. It basically shut me down socially. I didn't have any friends my senior year of high school and was pushed to the point that...well let's just say it was good I didn't have access to any weapons. The sad thing is that I am a very passive person and would not normally harm a fly. It's just that when you are pushed that bad and can't get away it makes you want to lash out. Ultimately I graduated at or near the bottom of my class and promptly suffered a nervous breakdown. I couldn't work and could barely leave the house for a year.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 1:12 am

AJ89 wrote:
That reminds me, I once saw a guy attending an anti-bullying meeting and then afterwards I saw him bullying someone in the library.

The guy was not forced to attend, he went on his free will. What gives?

People have their own views on what is bullying and sadly people don't even realize they are bullying someone because they don't view what they are doing as bullying.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 1:17 am

How does someone not know they're being bullied? Geez. If somebody pours soda down your shirt, that's bullying. If somebody trips you in the hallway or removes your locker's lock and replace it with another, that's bullying. If somebody spits in your lunch, that's bullying. If someone sets your gym clothes on fire that's bullying. Bullying must stop!

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 1:19 am

I was bullied and it really bothered me. It was never physical though. The ones who bullied me called me things, spread rumours about me, told me to kill myself, made the few friends I had leave me, trash talked me and my family, made mean social experiments on me, laughed at me etc. For some weird reason I didn't really understand I was bullied. I knew they were abnormally mean to me (and it really bothered me), but I didn't get I was bullied until it was over. I never told anyone about being bullied when it happened.

The whole thing has affected me a lot more than I ever thought it would.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 1:42 am

i was bullied in school, but it was a girls school and the bullying wasnt that often or that bad. i got bullied much wrose late in workplaces and had to carry a knife in my pocket.
we have the right to defend ourselves. if you start a fight without a reason you're violent, but if you fight back when bullied constantly and not left alone, you just stand up for yourself, and that's a good thing.
all aspies should learn self defense.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 2:21 am

I did get bullied and it did bother me because both kids and adults did it to me. I have been literally stepped on, spit on, pushed, insulted, threatened, called names, had stuff ruined, etc.

I have had people jump me and cut my hair, put gum in it, give me a basket of hygiene products with the notes "shower you pig" even though I was fairly clean, just not perfumed.

I think that my school life and family life has been pretty horrific.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 4:32 am

Mirror21 wrote:
I did get bullied and it did bother me because both kids and adults did it to me. I have been literally stepped on, spit on, pushed, insulted, threatened, called names, had stuff ruined, etc.

I have had people jump me and cut my hair, put gum in it, give me a basket of hygiene products with the notes "shower you pig" even though I was fairly clean, just not perfumed.

I think that my school life and family life has been pretty horrific.

Yeah I was once phlegmed on by some girls from my first secondary school, when I was in P.E at my second secondary using a field next to my old school, and 2 girls who bullied me in the first school, saw me, walked past, and phlegmed in my hair.
Luckily my dad was in the allotments in another field next door, so he took me home so I could shower and then I went back to school again in the afternoon.

I never really did P.E because it meant changing. I didn't exactly have any boobs to even fill the smallest bra, and I didn't know how to approach my mum about buying bra's, so I got bullied by all the girls then spread to the boys about "Lia-no-boobs" and stuff.

I've been through all the same as you, except no-one gave me a basket of hygiene products, only just people commenting on my breath? I always brushed and used mouthwash, so if it did smell, it wasn't something I could help.