Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

chaines321
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2012, 3:08 am

Then what are you suppose to say?

I had a job interview at Dunkin Donuts and they were hiring 4 people, 5 people showed up, and I didn't get the job. I told them my reason was "I need a job and me and my mom think this will be a good experience for me". During the interview was the best social skills I have ever had in my opinion.
I've done a mock interview at school and looked up online about job interviews before I went, but I still don't understand. I wouldn't be able to lie about anything or doing any of the "phony" things that people do. I struggled with the hand shakes. I forced myself to give the second manager one at the end, the first manager did it first to me at the end, so I turned to the 2nd one and did it.

Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2012, 7:22 pm

chaines321 wrote:
Then what are you suppose to say?

I had a job interview at Dunkin Donuts and they were hiring 4 people, 5 people showed up, and I didn't get the job. I told them my reason was "I need a job and me and my mom think this will be a good experience for me". During the interview was the best social skills I have ever had in my opinion.
I've done a mock interview at school and looked up online about job interviews before I went, but I still don't understand. I wouldn't be able to lie about anything or doing any of the "phony" things that people do. I struggled with the hand shakes. I forced myself to give the second manager one at the end, the first manager did it first to me at the end, so I turned to the 2nd one and did it.

I think most people struggle a bit with interviews. If you find it hard or don't know what to do can you find someone to practice with? Preferably an adult who can give some feedback and advice. Don't be afraid to ask for help - you would be amazed at how much people like to help out - it's some kind of an inbuilt thing that makes them feel good - not everybody but lots of people.

Saying that you need the job for some extra cash probably wont work even if it's true.

good luck!

bornlie
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2012, 8:38 pm

I have had so much practice in job interviews. I can be honest and also tell them what they want to hear. I had an interview today and when asked why i wanted the position I said "well there is money of course but I want to prepare for the future" "I want a challenge and I want to become a better person". That kind of stuff. It usually works too, I rarely fail in job interviews. If I do fail it is because of body language and eye contact rather than content. My problem is actually getting a job interview, my resume is not the most polished.

Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2012, 1:20 am

Ian Ford talks a bit about this subject in his book Field guide to earthlings

He talks about social reality - the socially constructed truth. I found this concept intriguing because I had always thought that the truth was the truth ( and everybody needed to hear it - from me ! In detail! )

My understanding is that the socially constructed truth is arrived at by various means to meet the requirements of the situation. This is where all the non verbal and cultural stuff comes into play (games).

I could have used this book when I was about 5! Sigh.....

Anybody else come across this in the reading?