Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 4:29 pm

Do you rock? Like, sitting there and rock backwards and forwards? I notice myself doing this quite often. I also tap my legs up and down a lot, or wiggle my toes back and forth in a speedy motion when I'm laid down.
Sometimes even just my head/neck slowly rocks back and forth in small motions and I can't stop myself doing it, I don't have any control over this.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 4:35 pm

I do everything you just mentioned. I can stop myself once I realize what's happening, but they usually start somewhat subconsciously.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 4:36 pm

I sometimes still do that, but not as intensely as in my childhood. These days, I will mostly rock when I'm on my own somewhere and I need to relieve some accumulated stress. I may also do it when I'm with my reatives. But I avoid it when I'm in public places.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 4:36 pm

I rock, I sit cross-legged on the sofa and rock back and forward. I do it more when I am happy or under stress.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 4:43 pm

I rock too-it doesnt hurt anyone so I do it.

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2012, 5:39 pm

I'm rocking backward - forward only if I'm under stress, have nervous breakdown or fall in kind of catatonic state.

Usually I'm rocking left-right (it's just head and neck, slow and small moves)

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2012, 5:49 pm

Rocking is one of the stims my well-intentioned parents broke me of. Since my diagnosis last month, I've taken some of my stims back, including rocking. It's done wonders for my stress level. Rocking in particular I mostly do at home, but if I'm really upset in public, I'll do it anyway.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 5:52 pm

Rocking is one of my stims as well - I do it while playing music a lot, also in public sometimes if I'm not careful - I always fiddle with my hands in public to try to prevent other stims from happening.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 5:54 pm

I'll admit I don't rock often. I think of stimming as transferring awkward, pent up potential movement energy out of my body, so I try to push it towards my extremities. I spread my fingers and rotate my wrists and elbows back and forth pretty frequently because it engages multiple joints and created a lot of sensory stimulation.

Steven_Tyler77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jul 2012, 6:11 pm

I'm rocking right now, in fact. I rock almost all the time when I'm alone (if I don't pace, that is - cause pacing is my favorite stim). When I was a kid, I couldn't stop myself from rocking in front of other people, but now I've somehow managed to reduce this - so, when I'm with other people, I'll tap my feet, wring my hands, twirl my fingers, play with my hair... I'm quite a sight :)

I rock only forward-backwards. When I was a kid, I used to stand upright in the middle of the room and rock left to right with the upper half of my body, but my parents managed to prevent me from doing this. That's when I took up pacing, in order to replace it and I subsequently found out that pacing is more pleasurable. Now that I've found out about my autistic self, I've tried to do this again, just to see how it feels, but I haven't been able to do it. I don't know why, it just doesn't feel right...

When I rock, I'm usually not aware of what I'm doing. It almost always starts unconsciously, except for when I choose to sit cross-legged on the sofa, like SilkySifaka described, and do it on purpose. Then, it feels so nice, an almost erotic pleasure...

Aspie-quiz results:
Aspie score: 138 of 200 / NT score: 78 of 200 => Very likely an Aspie.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 6:17 pm

<--- Always rocking like a hurricane.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 7:30 pm

MightyMorphin wrote:
Do you rock? Like, sitting there and rock backwards and forwards? I notice myself doing this quite often. I also tap my legs up and down a lot, or wiggle my toes back and forth in a speedy motion when I'm laid down.
Sometimes even just my head/neck slowly rocks back and forth in small motions and I can't stop myself doing it, I don't have any control over this.

I don't do the neck thing, but I do everything else. The toe wiggling causes me a lot of random muscle spasm in my toes and it hurts. I can stop when I realize it, if I want, but it usually starts again in some form without me noticing. If I am doing it and it feels good and no one makes me, I usually dont stop.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 7:57 pm

I look like a bobblehead that needs to p*ss badly. This tends to only occur with my head and upper body (sideways and slightly jerky, like a twitch).

Last edited by CyborgUprising on 22 Jul 2012, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 8:02 pm

I do it often and in public. I do it while talking to people. It helps me focus on talking to people. It helps me converse. It helps me be normal and healthy in general.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 8:06 pm

I don't think I ever rocked except a few times.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 1:13 am

I don't know if I rocked much in the past, but I do now. Once I started suspecting myself of being on the spectrum, I decided to try rocking and found it to be heavenly! Now that I have basically accepted that I am an aspie/autistic, I let myself stim at will. I just don't care any more and rarely hold back.