Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 9:57 pm

One of the best kept lies in academic research is how little of it is going on. Academics have been known to slice and dice thei research in order to keep the money rolling in.

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2012, 10:04 pm

I don't get it. My understanding of acedemics is not like that at all. There are corrupt ones that get paid to endorse certain things ie new drugs but most acedemics are upholding the ethics of the scientific method and being as objective as is humanly possible from a subjective human standpoint.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 10:05 pm

Might want to change that misleading topic title. It comes across as borderline trolling.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 11:00 pm

Sharkgirl wrote:
I don't get it. My understanding of acedemics is not like that at all. There are corrupt ones that get paid to endorse certain things ie new drugs but most acedemics are upholding the ethics of the scientific method and being as objective as is humanly possible from a subjective human standpoint.

I am speaking as some who got as far as his Master's degree. It is more prevalent than you think. For example, clinical trials of new drugs are so biased that one can never find the truth, because Big Pharma has buried the actual data so deep in their vaults that it is next to impossible to find. If you thought the recent fines against GlaxoSmithKine were astronomical, guess again. Those fines are nothing but chump change. A good many researcher, who are supposed to be independent, are actually getting paid quite handsomely by Big Pharma. Does that sound like academic integrity? Not to me. The watchdog agencies, notably the FDA, are just as complicit. Do you know that Pharma only has to supply 2 positive trials to have a new drug approved? Not 2 cosecutive trials, just 2 positive trials.

Even in the arts and humanities, where little, if any, new research takes place, there is rampant corruption. There is so much slicing and dicing going on to extend the life of a project that it is criminal. Do we really need to know the chronological history of Hans Sachs, one of the greatest of all cobblers of the 16th century, who also was what I use as my nom de plume? For a music History major, yes, but I highly doubt the average person would care.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 9:56 pm

OMG! A new cure for autism

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ioiag30eAI[/youtube]

TheSunAlsoRises

Sidmor
Raven
Raven

31 Jul 2012, 4:29 am

Autism treatment is a rapidly growing medical branch. I'm not sure whether I want it to be "treated" though, beyond eliminating some of the anxiety and increasing empathy. Arbaclofen for the former and oxytocin for the latter are the most promising candidates so far, but arbaclofen has not been commercialized yet and oxytocin's duration is very short (it should be synthesized and modified somehow).

SSRI might help some but I refuse to touch them.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 2:40 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
One of the best kept lies in academic research is how little of it is going on. Academics have been known to slice and dice thei research in order to keep the money rolling in.

This thread is mis-leading and VERY lame IMO.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Aug 2012, 3:05 pm

The point of this thread is...?

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 11:53 pm

I dub this trollish...

While I agree that many researchers do dice their research... It is not something they do with any great frequency. (speaking from experience).

Since most autistic patients are treated for other mental issues as well, there is nothing to truly be gained by withholding a cure...

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 1:39 pm

OMG! A new cure for autism

Staying in my bedroom works...?

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Alvin31
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Sep 2012, 12:32 pm

No there is no cure for autism.it's the evolution for future human behavior not disease

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 12:34 pm

Alvin31 wrote:
No there is no cure for autism.it's the evolution for future human behavior not disease
Autism supremacist :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 4:51 pm

I'll take acceptance over treatment any day.

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm

I agree wih Alvin33, autism means change, a part of human behavior is changing.

KyleClark
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Sep 2012, 8:37 pm

I do drugs for fun, not to change who I am but sometimes I consider it thinking they would make my life better.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 7:46 am

This thread is a thread alright..