Is there a way to make friends on wrong planet?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Michellen2008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2012, 11:59 am

Is there a way to make other Aspie friends on wrong planet? I know its a discussion board and I'm rather new to wrong planet? I want to make friends, just someone to talk to when bored, stressed or share good and bad times and listen to one another without judgment. I don't have any friends where I live currently, but would love to make friends through the internet, actually made one Aspie friend when I was 16 from the Internet and an autism conference and we've been friends for 8 years now. He is the only close friend I have and his name is James Williams. Is there anyone out there in my situation, looking for friends, someone to talk to without judgment and just being you?

Thanks
Michelle
Dx w/ aspergers at 16, now 24 and have an oldest daughter w/ autism and youngest child, developmentally delayed.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 12:02 pm

Hey Michellen!! Try looking in the thread and check if your region is there!

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt188762.html

If you don't see your region there, go ahead and start a new topic in the Social Skills and Making Friends thread!! best of luck!!

Then I have done my job

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 12:05 pm

Just post around, be honest and most places are pretty friendly, outside of the religion and politics subforum. I've made a couple of friends here just by posting around, talking about interests and experiences.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 12:06 pm

Some of it is just talking about what you are interested in. Make topics about it or comment on threads. If someone is also commenting on those a lot then try private messaging them. I am really good friends with someone who has an account here and get along well with a couple other posters.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jul 2012, 12:10 pm

Yes, it is possible to make friends but my personal experiences have been painful. I have had people write back and forth, only to abruptly abandon the effort with no explanation whatsoever. I feel a little bitter about this but there is nothing I can do. I would love to have pen friends on here!

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 12:57 pm

Yes, you can make friends, but no, you can't talk to them. Auties and aspies, you see, hate telephones so they avoid them like the plague. Isn't that horrible?

LadybugS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2012, 1:02 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
Just post around, be honest and most places are pretty friendly, outside of the religion and politics subforum. I've made a couple of friends here just by posting around, talking about interests and experiences.

Exactly. :)

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough... God knows we're worth it"

questor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 2:34 pm

You shouldn't have too much trouble making friends here, but remember, we are on the Autism spectrum, so we sometimes "disappear" or back off for a while.

I am an introvert, so I am not into making close friendships. I find the casual contact of making and responding to posts here to be enough for me.

I don't hate telephone conversations, but I am not really into them. It makes me uncomfortable. I will use the phone when necessary, but why bother the rest of the time? On the plus side, I am not a phone addict! :lol:

Just hang out here at WP long enough, and you will get to know people, and there are plenty of different forums here on many different topics, so you are bound to meet people who share some interests with you. Have fun! :D

nortier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm

Michellen2008 wrote:
Is there a way to make other Aspie friends on wrong planet? I know its a discussion board and I'm rather new to wrong planet? I want to make friends, just someone to talk to when bored, stressed or share good and bad times and listen to one another without judgment. I don't have any friends where I live currently, but would love to make friends through the internet, actually made one Aspie friend when I was 16 from the Internet and an autism conference and we've been friends for 8 years now. He is the only close friend I have and his name is James Williams. Is there anyone out there in my situation, looking for friends, someone to talk to without judgment and just being you?

Thanks
Michelle
Dx w/ aspergers at 16, now 24 and have an oldest daughter w/ autism and youngest child, developmentally delayed.

Hi there! I'm your age (no kids, though) and would love to share a little laugh and cry over the Internet. If you want, send me a PM!

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 3:46 pm

My thoughts about making friends on WP are essentially the same as questor's. I have all kinds of experiences here, indeed. Once I was abused by someone but apart from that I really enjoyed corresponding with members. Often times the chain of back and forth messaging broke, but this is the way it usually is, there's nothing to gloom about it. We've simply exchanged some valuable information, that's all.

During my time here I've exchanged messages with a few members and I quite like many of them. Currently I have someone I'm corresponding with regularly, and someone whom I already consider an internet friend. With the last one we regularly talk via Skype, primarily about what having ASD means to us. It's a good thing since I can practice my weak English this way. We even have a long list of traits so we can always reach to it if we run out of words. :)

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:34 pm

Whatever you do, just don't be me. If you can manage this (easy) task, you should have no problem. :P :lol:

Michellen2008

22 Jul 2012, 6:52 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
Whatever you do, just don't be me. If you can manage this (easy) task, you should have no problem. :P :lol:

Confused on this?

Also, when I said talk, I didn't mean literally but it's on I take things literally too, what I meant was message through messages, pen pal (called snail mail through postal letter), etc. :) sorry for any confusion. :(

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 7:39 pm

If you're a gamer, I'm trying to start this:

Wrong Planet MMO Group

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm

I doubt it.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 1:31 am

You can start by messaging people with similar interests. That's how I began corresponding with my best friend here on WP.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 5:03 am

I'm not that interested in making friends, here, or anywhere on line or IRL most times

Dont take it personally. I think there are many other aspies who seldom PM others, and prefer a comfortable distance to any emotional closeness or involvement

Be wary... a few members leave in an angry huff, and turnover is reasonably high.... But you must remember, many here are at a most difficult time in their lives

I have been around on and off for 2 years. People come and go.... Often times the most frequent posters burn out from over use, and you never see them again.

The river of life bears away its sons and daughters....
I hope you find your friendship and whatever else you are wanting for.