Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pazza
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jul 2012, 5:05 pm

Dose anyone else like me find US tv over rated, people keep raving about shoes like frazer, 24, lost etc and just dont get them vut this dose not aly to films. I can get into australin shows thet I have seen here in the uk. Do americans have the opperset and find British shows heard to get in to? I was just wondering.

The only US shows I can get into are Friends, The Simpsons and Soap.
I would aprechate coments Uk shows if you are in the US are elsewere and US / othere shows if you are here in the UK.

Also how do you find foreign language films/ TV shows, are sub-titles to fast etc.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:52 pm

I'm from Canada and I find most US shows to be VERY overrated, but there is little else to watch these days. There were some pretty decent Canadian shows when I was a lot younger but now most Canadian actors and comedians have gone to the States where they can find "real" work, and because of this I think of the people of the US as a bunch of talent-stealers. :x And don't even get me started on Wayne Gretzky, our entire country felt betrayed! I have seen quite a few UK shows in my life but like most young Canadians I have been influenced heavily by American culture (not so much now as I used to) and would "get" what was going on in American shows more, when I was younger I liked and watched quite a few American sitcoms back when they were actually good, but there were some British situation comedies or "Britcoms" that I liked, although I didn't always know what they were saying or get what was going on. I find most shows on TV now very disgusting or boring and I just can't sit through them. I get most of my entertainment from the computer now. :?

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2012, 6:59 pm

My favorite UK shows of all time: #1 Doctor Who(especially the Tom Baker years)
# 2 Red Dwarf
# 3 Space 1999
# 4 Monty pythons flying circus :D

Favorite US shows: CSI Miami
NCIS
Numbers
Hell's Kitchen
Burn Notice

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 9:02 pm

Us is better not just because of the content such as in criminal minds but also in length of seasons.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 9:41 pm

I find most UK shows better than most US shows. Very much more creative and more intelligent programming. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg1r6zw7Bg That's pretty much American television currently, in a nutshell.

I like Asian shows from what I've seen, one of my favorite dramas was this Taiwanese show called Mars. As far as subtitles, it's not really an issue at all for me. My next favorite drama, though, the Great Teacher Onizuka live action. Pretty much my favorite channel on television was the AZN Channel, but now it's off the air. And now there's nothing left on TV except occasionally sports and the Travel Channel. So I pretty much don't watch TV anymore. BBC America has some cool shows, but my favorite drama on there, Survivors, got cancelled, though in general I'd say their caliber of programming is higher than in USA. Or maybe it's just me being "the grass is greener on the other side."

Though I LOVE some 80s American shows. Fresh Prince of Belair, Family Matters, Cosby Show, wonderful wonderful shows.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 2:18 am

most american tv programs over the decades have proven to be relatively juvenile and minced with namby pamby censorship not usually practiced in the commonwealth.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 10:51 am

I am an outsider, as I live in the Netherlands. But I grew up with both US and UK shows. Understanding either is not too difficult for us, even if both cultures are a bit alien too us; we get plenty of news from both the US and UK, and we're fairly familiar with both countries.

I'm unable to choose between the two; there are good and bad US shows, there are good and bad UK shows.

However.

US shows seems to have a bigger budget in general. In my opinion, this doesn't (always) affect the quality of the shows. In fact, because UK television has less money to spend, the quality of the shows are in general far more concentrated. The US, with their longer seasons and more elaborate visual effects, have a lot more room to insert filler. In response to thewrll's comment above, a 22-episode season, often there will be 8 or so episodes that are mediocre or standard, and 3 or 4 that will be downright bad. A 6-episode season in the UK, usually needs to divide a 'year's' worth of storytelling (from the characters' perspective) over a far more limited number of episodes. So usually, every single episode will be significant. All killer, no filler. Of course there are exceptions, but this is the trend I've noticed with UK shows as opposed to US shows.

I think both the US and the UK have their own charm when it comes to television. What I dislike is when the UK tries to copy the US in their style, or when the US has a UK show concept imported to the US, but adapted for a US audience.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 2:50 pm

I think a lot of US shows are overproduced, meaning most thinking goes into the production of the programme rather than the content. Especially shows like CSI.

But the US has been creating TV for years so they have become masters at making people watch whatever they throw onto the screen.

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 6:51 pm

both uk and us shows

Duncan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2012, 6:52 pm

The key difference US and UK television is volume and best quality.

There are plenty of good american shows but the most part they are never 10 out of 10 quality wise but they tends to more of them

There are some amazing good British and the very best ones could be seen as 10 out of 10 but there are far fewer of them. Compare Fawlty Towers to CSI for example. Fawlty Towers has only episodes but every episode is amazing and iconic. If you could all three vesions of CSI you have somewhere in the range of 600 episode, the majority are fairly good but few are iconic. There may even be fewer iconic episodes in CSI over all compared to Fawlty Towers but putting good tellie every week is just as impressive

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 9:03 am

Some types of tv programmes are better done in the UK and some are better done in the US, I think. I watch (and have watched) a few US shows: CSI (NY and original); The Mentalist; House; Monk; Friends; Frasier. The UK shows I watch just now are Doctor Who, Merlin, 'intellectual' quizes (e.g. University Challenge, QI, Have I got news for you), documentaries (e.g. Horizon, Unreported World, Imagine, Bang goes the theory), sitcoms (Red Dwarf, the IT Crowd) and comedy panel/ stand up shows. There are many classic UK sitcoms, but I believe there's an old thread on here about them. I don't watch any sitcoms at all now, except for the occasional Big Bang Theory.

I sometimes get hooked on US series like Lost and Heroes. But, after a while, when we still don't have a clue how the story is going, I get bored. Quite often what happens with the these shows is that they end up on pay channels and I don't get to see the last ones, as I only have freeview, but by then I don't really care. I'm following Once Upon a Time just now and I really hope it is concluded, by the last episode in the series. This series is better than most US fantasy series I've watched, because each episode has it's own distinct story. So each episode can stand alone, but not as effectively as Doctor Who episodes. If it goes on to another series, I'll probably stop watching.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:32 am

I would have to say American ones.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2012, 7:33 am

Depends on what it is.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 11:07 pm

I live in the U.S. Here are some British shows I've seen:

-RED DWARF
-BLACK BOOKS
-FAWLTY TOWERS
-MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS
-HEX
-several that have been featured on PBS' Mystery!--INSPECTOR MORSE, MRS BRADLEY MYSTERIES, SHERLOCK HOLMES, TOUCHING EVIL, POIROT, and HETTY WAINTHROP INVESTIGATES. (Anyone noticing a pattern? :wink: )

I liked what I saw. :)

My biggest "complaint" was having difficulty understanding what was being said (I have hearing difficulties to begin with, so the accents can be problematic). However, turning on the captioning helps.

Currently, my favorite American shows are police procedurals (the LAW AND ORDER franchise, for example) and some cartoons (FUTURAMA, MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC, and FAMILY GUY--sometimes).

In truth, I don't see any specific differences between U.K. and U.S. shows. Some are good, some aren't.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 9:25 am

From the USA, I like The Big Bang Theory and The Colbert Report.

From the UK, I liked Coupling, The Office, Extras, That Mitchell and Webb Look, Mr. Bean, Monty Python, Keeping Up Appearances, the IT Crowd, Peep Show, The Mighty Boosh, The Two Ronnies, Are You Being Served?, and Blackadder.

I haven't seen anything new from the UK--their shows have 6-episode seasons, which appear irregularly.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 11:55 am

I definitely find British programming to be better than American. American TV has too much useless drivel designed to appeal to people of limited intelligence and attention span. British programming seems to have a lot more informative programming and most of it is also better written. Then again, I might think differently if I actually lived there and got to see the reality of how programming in the UK is actually presented. After all, all we get in the US is the best of what is shown over there. I am pretty sure there is crap programming shown there as well. It can't all be Wheeler Dealers, Top Gear and Sherlock.