Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,028
Location: Manchester, UK.

22 Jul 2012, 5:37 pm

I obtained Spirited Away last week from CEX (the second hand shop), and loved it!

So far I've watched:

Howl's Moving Castle
The Cat Returns
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Princess Mononoke

I currently still have to watch:

Laputa
Whisper of the Heart
Arrietty

I liked most of them, except Ocean Waves...it was certainly not a Romantic Film.

Any other fans out there? Or am I the only one?


_________________
Just a guy who gives advice and talks a lot.


JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,359

22 Jul 2012, 6:14 pm

My Neighbour Totoro :)
If you like them you will like Level 5's games as they do a lot of Studio Ghibli collaborations.



Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2009
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,178
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

22 Jul 2012, 9:27 pm

Ghibli fan here :D

I got all Miyazaki movies including The castle of cagliostro, exceot for Ponyo. I also seen The cat returns.

There is a retrospective of Ghibli movies here: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/jo/jospecials


_________________
Down with speculators!! !


CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,028
Location: Manchester, UK.

23 Jul 2012, 6:07 am

Tollorin wrote:
Ghibli fan here :D

I got all Miyazaki movies including The castle of cagliostro, exceot for Ponyo. I also seen The cat returns.

There is a retrospective of Ghibli movies here: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/jo/jospecials


I have heard of Castle of Cagliostro, but what's it like? As it's based on a French Novel (Lupin, I think).

Awesome!

I know about the Level 5 games, that Witch game that is coming out soon is based from them right? Although the kid is mentioned being 13, he doesn't look like that at all...even the girl from Spirited Away looks older! XD


_________________
Just a guy who gives advice and talks a lot.


crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2011
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 612
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

23 Jul 2012, 1:16 pm

CrazyStarlightRedux wrote:
I have heard of Castle of Cagliostro, but what's it like? As it's based on a French Novel (Lupin, I think).

I just saw CoC yesterday. Basically, it's a heist movie using the characters from the Lupin anime series that Miyazaki was working on at the time. I really liked it despite it not being Miyazaki's best, but it was his first feature so it's excusable.

Regarding the plot, Lupin's gang head to the small country of Cagliostro seeking out the source of a counterfeit money empire. But naturally, they stumble onto other hijinks as it's slowly revealed that Lupin actually has a history with one of the movie's main characters.

The source of the film, in addition to the Lupin series and manga, is the book The Count of Cagliostro.



angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 342
Location: punxsutawney, pennslyvannia

23 Jul 2012, 4:35 pm

my favorite movie is howl's moving castle


_________________
never give up even if the odds are against you


JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,359

23 Jul 2012, 5:53 pm

CrazyStarlightRedux wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
Ghibli fan here :D

I got all Miyazaki movies including The castle of cagliostro, exceot for Ponyo. I also seen The cat returns.

There is a retrospective of Ghibli movies here: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/jo/jospecials


I have heard of Castle of Cagliostro, but what's it like? As it's based on a French Novel (Lupin, I think).

Awesome!

I know about the Level 5 games, that Witch game that is coming out soon is based from them right? Although the kid is mentioned being 13, he doesn't look like that at all...even the girl from Spirited Away looks older! XD


Yes Ni No Kuni is it. It will be fantastic I hope :) it looks like you are literally playing one of the movies as an adventure game.



Duncan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 144
Location: Colchester, Essex, UK

23 Jul 2012, 5:57 pm

Picking a favourite Ghibli Studio film is like choosing between your children. Each film has amazing elements.

My Neighbor Totoro - had childhood awe, imagination and wonder
Only Yesterday - showed that everyone could have a happy ever after
Princess Mononoke - explored spirtualism, something sorely missing in western films
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - had Patrick Steward, a great sound track and so much
Ponyo - explored the relationship between the sea and humanity and was a damn sight better than The Little Mermaid

That was just a sample of the greatness of the studio I could go on endlessly :D



AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

23 Jul 2012, 6:04 pm

I am surprised nobody has mentioned The Secret World of Arrietty.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhBK7xC7--0&feature=related[/youtube]


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,028
Location: Manchester, UK.

24 Jul 2012, 6:02 am

crmoore wrote:
I just saw CoC yesterday. Basically, it's a heist movie using the characters from the Lupin anime series that Miyazaki was working on at the time. I really liked it despite it not being Miyazaki's best, but it was his first feature so it's excusable.

Regarding the plot, Lupin's gang head to the small country of Cagliostro seeking out the source of a counterfeit money empire. But naturally, they stumble onto other hijinks as it's slowly revealed that Lupin actually has a history with one of the movie's main characters.

The source of the film, in addition to the Lupin series and manga, is the book The Count of Cagliostro.


Awesome, I may get it.


JanuaryMan wrote:

Yes Ni No Kuni is it. It will be fantastic I hope :) it looks like you are literally playing one of the movies as an adventure game.


Indeed, although I am cautious whether it is any good.

angelofdarkness wrote:
my favorite movie is howl's moving castle


The town Sophie lives in reminds me of my own. :)

AspieOtaku wrote:
I am surprised nobody has mentioned The Secret World of Arrietty.


I am still waiting for that DVD to arrive after 9 days. :cry:


_________________
Just a guy who gives advice and talks a lot.


AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 14 May 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 416
Location: England

24 Jul 2012, 5:08 pm

Spirited Away will always have a special place in my heart :')
Hayao Miyazaki is an idol of mine and a very "in-touch" person I think. I agree with his philosophies on cinema and life.
I think once he said something like kids shouldn't watch films every day...it should be a birthday treat, something perfectly crafted, something that should inspire. That's how I'm going to raise my kids :lol:

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/hayao_miyazaki/



DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 228

25 Jul 2012, 3:25 am

Great link AJCoyne :) My favourite quote is: “Is someone different at age 18 or 60? I believe one stays the same.”

I've seen Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle of Cagliostro, Howl's Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart and the Cat Returns. Howl's Moving Castle was my favourite for a long time but my favourite now is Spirited Away. Princess Mononoke was amazing though. I only ever saw it once on tv one Christmas but it was really strange (in a good way) and thought-provoking about the spirit of the forest.



CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,028
Location: Manchester, UK.

25 Jul 2012, 5:54 am

Watched Valley of the Wind and Whisper of the Heart yesterday.

I thought WotH was the weaker of the two, but it was a happy film.


_________________
Just a guy who gives advice and talks a lot.


CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,028
Location: Manchester, UK.

01 Aug 2012, 3:41 am

Necessary bump.

Watched Arrietty and was slightly disappointed.

There wasn't hardly anything going on in it, and I counted 8 humans, 1 cat, a crow and a few insects and two rats throughout!

I don't know...I expected more from the film, even the TV Series was better and that is considered the weakest of the 3 (now 4).


_________________
Just a guy who gives advice and talks a lot.


Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,665
Location: Brisbane, Australia

01 Aug 2012, 6:59 am

I am a big anime fan, but strangely I have never really liked Ghibli that much, I tend to find them boring. If I had to still choose a favourite, I most enjoy Howl's Moving Castle, which apparently is supposed to be one of the most least liked.


_________________
Through dream I travel, at lantern's call
To consume the flames of a kingdom's fall


ReneDescartes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 232
Location: Between France and Kuwait

01 Aug 2012, 6:04 pm

My favourite is Princess Mononoke, as it is very spiritual.
For those who haven't watched it yet, Arrietty is awesome. The music is... well, pure and relaxing, and very unique, it's celtic harp alongside with lyrics, sung and composed by a French harpist from Brittany.